Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-12-18-CWA] Jushin Liger vs Dave Finlay

Loss

• 4 months later...

Really good match. Fun to see Liger in something this long, and Finlay for that matter. I need someone to explain the rounds system to me, because I don't understand it and it keeps me from enjoying these matches as much as I probably would otherwise. This is also interesting because the face/heel psychology is much closer to U.S. wrestling than Japanese wrestling, with Liger as the babyface and Finlay as the heel. It's probably a style thing I don't get, but what kept it from being really great was that anytime the match got going, the round ended. Worth seeing to see Liger in a completely different setting than we're accustomed to. But because of all the restarts in action, this feels a little Brisco/Dory at times.

I need someone to explain the rounds system to me, because I don't understand it and it keeps me from enjoying these matches as much as I probably would otherwise.

No clue if this is what they were using in this particular match, i've seen diffrent variations in diffrent promotions but the classic British Rounds rules were

Rounds last either 3 or 5 mins each

Matches usually have 10, 15 or 20 rounds

Short break after each round

Matches are usually 2/3 falls

The round ends after you score the fall so if you pin someone 30 seconds into the round the next round starts after that.

No punching allowed

If you get caught punching or doing anything else that's typically illegal in wrestling you get a public warning

After 2 warnings you'll be disqualified the next time you break the rules

No attacking the opponent while he's on the ground unless you go to the mat with him in the middle of applying a hold so for example

Snapmaring a guy down and immediatly floating into a headlock = OK

Body slamming a guy and stomping him = Not OK

If you toss a guy down and don't follow it up with a hold the ref will start a 10 count for him to get back up

May be missing one or 2 more rules but that's the gist of things

• 2 years later...

I need someone to explain the rounds system to me, because I don't understand it and it keeps me from enjoying these matches as much as I probably would otherwise.

No clue if this is what they were using in this particular match, i've seen diffrent variations in diffrent promotions but the classic British Rounds rules were

Rounds last either 3 or 5 mins each

Matches usually have 10, 15 or 20 rounds

Short break after each round

Matches are usually 2/3 falls

The round ends after you score the fall so if you pin someone 30 seconds into the round the next round starts after that.

No punching allowed

If you get caught punching or doing anything else that's typically illegal in wrestling you get a public warning

After 2 warnings you'll be disqualified the next time you break the rules

No attacking the opponent while he's on the ground unless you go to the mat with him in the middle of applying a hold so for example

Snapmaring a guy down and immediatly floating into a headlock = OK

Body slamming a guy and stomping him = Not OK

If you toss a guy down and don't follow it up with a hold the ref will start a 10 count for him to get back up

May be missing one or 2 more rules but that's the gist of things

Thanks for all that. Hopefully that helps me going forward on these matches.

• 1 month later...

The round system seems to be an "is what it is" thing with Europe. Boxing had rounds from at least the start of the Queensbury era, so contemporary Euro wrestling and its Lord Mountevans rules did also.

Liger, having been in this environment lots both in Europe and Japan, knows how to pace these type matches much better than Funk and it pays off here. Just a really good blend of New Japan juniors bombs and British grappling. Too bad the Finlay footage is so spotty because I think he could be a legit BITW candidate, at least for males. The draw finish pissed me off, but it looked like Finlay was defending some sort of title so I guess a clean finish was out the window.

• 3 years later...

I didn't like this much. Not only did the round system make for too many stops and starts, but it seemed like they were both holding back. There were a few nice moves here and there, but none of them ever led to anything. There was no storytelling, no psychology. Not only that, but both man started each round fresh, not bothering to sell any damage done in the previous round, This made each round into its own self-contained unit, and watching ten separate three-minute matches simply isn't very exciting to me.

Under American or Japanese rules, this could have been a very interesting bout. Under these rules, it was just a long, disjointed mess.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-12-18-CWA] Jushin Liger vs Dave Finlay
  • 2 weeks later...

Another very good match. The novelty of seeing these two interact and go long is enjoyable but I think they could have had a kick ass 20 minute match around this time if they would have edited some of the stuff they did here. Liger looked on point with his strikes in this match and Finlay is always a good bruiser to ground him down. ***1/4 (6.7)