1997 Recommendations

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
160 replies to this topic

#21 jdw

jdw
  • Members
  • 8040 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:36 PM

I got that CC handheld. Taue vs Akiyama has a good second half but overall is quite skippable.

It's a pretty short match... and there really isn't a lot of 1997 AJPW, unless you think the tv taping six-mans that aired on Sammy were consistently good. :)

John

#22 Ditch

Ditch
  • Members
  • 1704 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 02:46 PM

I'm looking at ~19 matches in right now, that's a decent amount. If more are wanted there's... Kawada, Taue & Omori vs Kobashi, Ace & Patriot 5/18: Probably the best 6-man to use from '97 AJ in the context of the yearbook. There's an all-star tag on 9/15 that isn't worth putting on considering it's an hour long. Misawa vs Akiyama, 5/27: Start of their singles series, and it's clipped to a reasonably hot finish. Kawada & Taue vs Kobashi & Ace, 5/27: First big Kobashi/Ace match, also heavily JIP so easier to justify. Kawada & Taue vs Kobashi & Ace, 10/11: These two teams meeting up always produces a good match. Great? Eh... I feel like handheld footage gets hard to justify by the time we're into 1997.

#23 jdw

jdw
  • Members
  • 8040 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:04 PM

The 5/27 matches should be full on Sammy, no? There's also Ogawa vs Mossman for the Jr Title on 8/22 (Lynch Boot 981). Hmmm... 05/31/97 Sabu vs RVD on Boot 898. ;) Actually, Kawada vs Patriot is interesting. Not in a Global Yearbook concept, but a AJPW Yearbook standpoint. There is the 9/15/97 Misawa & Kawada & Hase vs Taue & Kobashi & Akiyama match that goes 60:00. That is such a unique match up, and one that would be new to most people, that it probably warrants space even if it is a space eater. 18 really aren't that many. There were 36 on the 1993 set, seven JIP (probably because TV was JIP), and one "finish only". There were 20 in 1996, and that was a period where they had just 30 minutes of TV and Sammy coverage didn't start up until the tag league. 1997 has a fully year of Sammy, along with commercial tapes. Not arguing overload, but there are going to be a lot of WCW and WWF and ECW on the set. If there are good AJPW, put them forward. :) John

#24 Ditch

Ditch
  • Members
  • 1704 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:33 PM

I'm reasonably certain that 5/27 wasn't on Samurai.

#25 jdw

jdw
  • Members
  • 8040 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:36 AM

I suspect it was but that it just didn't get to Lynch. The '97 Super Power Series tapings were 5/18 at Korakuen Hall, 5/27 in Sapporo, 5/30 in Sendai and 6/6 at Budokan. The air dates on Sammy start on "6/20/97" and run through "8/8/97", with three weeks having no show. The air dates look a little funky, as they do the Carny Budokan. Most of what was shown on NTV ended up on Sammy, usually in full... and with lots of other stuff from the cards. It's a little inexplicable that Sammy would air the pedestrian Sendai matches rather than the bigger ones on the Sapporo card. It's likely something that Dan G could eventually track down. It's one of those things where when you start laying the matches out in a spreadsheet, things missing from Lynch (and even Dan at times) jump out, and when you point them out to Dan he typically can check around and ID what's missing. I don't think he's focused yet on filling in all the holes from that period yet. I haven't spent much time piecing together 1997 to June 2000 AJPW in terms of NTV + Sammy + Commercial Tapes to get a sense of where there are some holes. I just know that there are some here and there. John

#26 Ditch

Ditch
  • Members
  • 1704 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:08 PM

There's definitely some gaps that weren't aired on Samurai. For instance, 11/27/99 had some bits aired on NTV, and Samurai skips from 10/25 to 11/30 with no gaps in the Samurai airings. They SHAMEFULLY skipped 3/11/00, which NTV barely aired and was headlined by Misawa/Kobashi/Kikuchi vs Kawada/Taue/Fuchi, and it's because they went back and aired some crappy NYGS footage after airing Excite Series. Whoever made that decision... *shakes fist*

#27 MikeCampbell

MikeCampbell

80% of crazy!

• Members
  • 2147 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:40 AM

Loss or Will, do you guys have any sort of idea what all years will be covered with the year books? If you intend on doing the year 2000, then I'd advise the Misawa/Akiyama TC match from this year. It'd be an interesting comparison to Akiyama's first win over Misawa in 2000. Standalone, though, it didn't do much for me.

#28 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43529 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:33 AM

Loss or Will, do you guys have any sort of idea what all years will be covered with the year books?

If you intend on doing the year 2000, then I'd advise the Misawa/Akiyama TC match from this year. It'd be an interesting comparison to Akiyama's first win over Misawa in 2000. Standalone, though, it didn't do much for me.

If they keep selling well, we will eventually do every year.

#29 Ditch

Ditch
  • Members
  • 1704 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 12:11 PM

Not sure how I forgot about... Ikeda vs Otsuka, Battlarts 11/5. There's a good chance this is my favorite '90s Battlarts singles match. Good technique, plenty of bombs, plenty of brutality, 'big' feel, it should definitely be in.

#30 smkelly

smkelly
  • Members
  • 1154 posts
  • Interests:Zombies, writing, professional wrestling, writing about zombies, German Shepherds, and Internet message boards.

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:10 PM

Loss or Will, do you guys have any sort of idea what all years will be covered with the year books?

If you intend on doing the year 2000, then I'd advise the Misawa/Akiyama TC match from this year. It'd be an interesting comparison to Akiyama's first win over Misawa in 2000. Standalone, though, it didn't do much for me.

If they keep selling well, we will eventually do every year.

Are you guys planning on sticking with the 90s first - then moving on to the 00s, then the 80s? That is, if everything sells well :)

#31 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43529 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:28 PM

Probably 90s, then early 00s, then we'll alternate between the rest of the 00s and the 80s after the DVDVR project is wrapped up. The 80s yearbooks will have plenty of gems not included on the DVDVR 80s stuff also. We'll eventually do a "decade book" for the 70s, and maybe one for pre-70s also.

#32 Robert S

Robert S
  • Members
  • 661 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 03:12 PM

I hope this set contains some of the absolutely random on air tryout matches WWF did to find some guys for their lightweight divison.

#33 smkelly

smkelly
  • Members
  • 1154 posts
  • Interests:Zombies, writing, professional wrestling, writing about zombies, German Shepherds, and Internet message boards.

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:17 AM

Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Kenta Kobashi (AJPW, Triple Crown, 01/20/97)

This is the match I call the greatest of all-time.

1/22/97 – Volk Han vs. Kiyoshi Tamura RINGS

3-3-97 Owen Hart vs. Davey Boy Smith

One of the best matches in Raw's history.

3-16-97 Dean Malenko vs. Eddy Guerrero WCW

Nearly as good as their ECW matches. This match, to me, is only behind their first ECW match and their last.

Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin (I Quit Match) (3/23 - Chicago) (WWF)

Unarguably one of the best WWF matches of all-time.

Toshiaki Kawada vs. Mitsuharu Misawa (04/02/97)

Half hour draw at the carny. Good match, but obviously nowhere near 6-94 or 6-97.

Toshiaki Kawada vs. Mitsuharu Misawa (06/06/97)

Explode Misawa's head theory was tested sternly in this match. Man, explanations for All Japan are redundant.

Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Akira Taue (Triple Crown - 7/25/97)

Taue's second best TC match with Misawa.

Sabu vs Terry Funk (8/9/97, ECW Arena)

Best barbed wire mess/match ever.

9/26/97 – Volk Han vs. Kiyoshi Tamura RINGS

The first RINGS match I ever watched. Also the best that I've ever seen.

10/5/97 – Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels WWF

First Hell in a Cell and HBK got his ass kicked for a long time.

Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Kenta Kobashi, 10/21/97

Misawa kicks the dog shit out of Kobashi in all of their matches ever but Kobashi has never stopped coming back for more. Nine months after losing his title Kobashi shows he's not a little kid anymore.

10/26/97 – Eddy Guerrero vs. Rey Misterio Jr. WCW

Mask vs. Title.

Never seen these: (but have read good things about them)
2-16-97 Jushin Liger vs. Koji Kanemoto NJPW
5-25-97 Koji Kanemoto vs. Gran Naniwa NJPW
6-1-97 Jushin Liger vs. Koji Kanemoto NJPW
6-3-97 Shinjiro Ohtani vs. El Samurai NJPW
7-6-97 Jushin Liger vs. El Samurai NJPW
8-10-97 El Samurai vs. Shinjiro Ohtani NJPW
8-10-97 Jushin Liger vs. Koji Kanemoto NJPW
9-10-97 Jushin Liger vs. Koji Kanemoto NJPW
10-19-97 Jushin Liger vs. Shinjiro Otani NJPW

#34 Ditch

Ditch
  • Members
  • 1704 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 01:14 PM

Bumping this...

#35 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43529 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:06 PM

OMEGA becomes OMEGA in '97 while the wrestlers start improving a lot. Some of them end up in Music City Wrestling which ends up taking over the USWA's syndicated slots. MCW had some pretty good stuff early on and is worth looking into. I have some in really nice quality I should go through and get dates for. I think Prentice promoted under North American All-Star Wrestling too in '97 and what I've seen from there is also good.

Where can I find listings of OMEGA stuff with dates?

And I'll close by saying that the RWTL stuff JDW pointed out is worthy. Misawa/Akiyama vs Smith/Wolf is one I really love but I have yet to see the full Samurai TV version.

Do you have a date for this? Lynch's Samurai TV listings for '97 really are a mess.

MPro:

Sasuke & Delfin vs Teioh & Funaki, MPro tag league, round robin
Sasuke & Delfin vs Teioh & Funaki, MPro tag league, final: These matches do so much. They put over Teioh and Funaki, two of the 'lesser' KDX members, as being able to handle the MPro aces. They tell a story with Sasuke's leg injury. And they're good matches individually but are even better in unison.

Do you have dates for the tag league?

#36 Ditch

Ditch
  • Members
  • 1704 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:37 PM

MPro: 11/2/97 and 11/9/97. The latter re-aired in better VQ on a Gaora MPro classics ep (that I have and can trade Will for) AJ: 11/16/97. I got the full Samurai version, so (see above)

#37 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43529 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:01 PM

Was Kingdom worked?

#38 Bix

Bix
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 6260 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:45 PM

Was Kingdom worked?

Yes.

#39 rainmakerrtv

rainmakerrtv
  • Members
  • 1494 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:33 PM

The 80s yearbooks will have plenty of gems not included on the DVDVR 80s stuff also.

Why is it I get the feeling the 1989 set will be 60 discs? Just an epic year all round.

#40 FLIK

FLIK
  • Members
  • 1706 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 06:17 PM

10/31/1997 (ECW TV Title) Taz © vs Sabu Watched this earlier today. Great match, probably the best i've seen between these 2, goes 30, almost all non stop action with and only maybe 1 short segment whear it felt like they were just tryig to kill time. Inbetween all the crazy brawling and big moves they mixed in some nice wrestling stuff with a cool little sub story of Sabu trying to break Taz' leg and Taz trying to break Sabu's arm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users