Pro Wrestling Only

Gay jokes

Loss

Apparently Michael Cole dropped a gay slur on Josh Matthews on Twitter today. I'm surprised Cageside Seats isn't all over this story. A podcast should be made.

I saw that on Wrestling Forums. It was sad seeing people actually cheer on Cole for defying the EVUL PC LIBRULS. Come to think of it, since homphobia and other forms of bigotry are common in the United States, wouldn't such acts be reinforcing the current view of the majority and therefore be the real political correctness?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What was more insulting was Cole's "apology" where he stated it wasn't taken the way he meant it, but how many ways is there to construe calling someone a faggot? "I'm sorry everyone misunderstood me" is the most annoying method of saying sorry-but-not-really.

Is it just me or isn't the timing of the Cole story a little odd? Chalking it up to the usual wrestler Twitter stupidity seems a bit unlikely in this case. The "It was obviously not meant the way it was taken" and "Now can I get back to being a character again please?" comments seem like shots at GLAAD for forcing his friend John Cena to apologise for comments he made on a scripted wrestling show. So it's likely Cole going into business for himself. On the other hand, it wouldn't be completely unfathomable for WWE to create some artificial controversy to prove that they're serious (wink wink) about their homophobic bullying campaign.

Meanwhile, Dave Meltzer posted this on his message board:

What part of putting millions of dollars of sponsorships at risk is not understood here?

UFC lost key sponsorships when Dana White used that word even when he immediately apologized. Not immediately, but one made it clear when the contracts were up they were gone. And they were. He also lost a major TV deal and got called on the carpet by Bud Lite and was on the verge of losing them.

That's why Vince backed down immediately to GLAAD, and while Cole doing that just days after Vince backing down made him beyond an idiot.

Has the bolded part been reported before?

I thought Bud Light was pissed when Brock did his post fight promo where he said he was going home to fuck his wife and have a Miller light.

Also I tend to agree with this partly being Cole going into business for himself. He's mentioned before he doesn't like Twitter and the "WWE suits" made him have an account. He hasn't posted an update since his apology that I've seen, he may have been trying to torpedo his own account, albeit the worst way possible.

It should be noted tonight's promo was the best Cena has done in this program or any other in a long, long time. It's unfortunate this is what it took for the writers to stop being lazy, but it shows it's possible to not have to rely on middle school "ur gay" type jokes.

The "color" comment along with him implying Rock didn't like a white boy trying to rap did seem to be kind of implying racial overtones, but if there's a guy not to play the race card against it would be Rock.

If anything, it showed how awesome a heel Cena could be if they ever stop being afraid of the backlash of angry 7 year olds.

So Wade put up a bizzare follow-up to the Cole deal on the Torch site:

"There have been reports of Cole having tremendous locker room heat. One WWE source today gives us his opinion on Cole behind the scenes.

"Is Cole getting a big head? HELL YES," he says. "Ever since he was reading the GM e-mails he started begging to become GM (he doesn't know who it's supposed to be) and walks around like his sh-- doesn't stink. He has an opinion on everything."

He also has mouthed off to writers who hand him scripts, saying that he'll say whatever the hell he wants. Sources say Cole's on-air character has gone to his head and what you see on TV is what he has become behind the scenes."

Wade was taking personal shots at Cole years ago, so he's always disliked him for whatever reason. But I love the idea of Cole telling the writers to screw off. Great visual.

--What should happen to Michael Cole over his twitter comment?

Nothing 26.2%

Should be forced to take a boring class put on by GLAAD 24.8%

Should be fined 15.3%

Should be given an editor 13.9%

Should be fired 10.9%

Should be suspended for a short period of time 8.9%

Does Dave have something he'd like to say to the rest of the class?

--What should happen to Michael Cole over his twitter comment?

Nothing 26.2%

Should be forced to take a boring class put on by GLAAD 24.8%

Should be fined 15.3%

Should be given an editor 13.9%

Should be fired 10.9%

Should be suspended for a short period of time 8.9%

Does Dave have something he'd like to say to the rest of the class?

Yeah, it's really being slept on that while he doesn't want gay bashing in wrestling he seems to have a certain antipathy towards GLAAD itself.

Rock has made fun of Cena being a rapper. He's also made fun of him for colorful t shirts. That's all there is to this.

It was pretty obviously referring to race, it was subtle, but clearly there.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see it. I can see how people could come to that conclusion by interpreting things to make the pieces fit to get to that but I just don't see it.

The closest thing to it being there was Rock saying "You aren't from the street" and that doesn't mean "You aren't black".

And again, Cena saying "My color" was about T Shirts.

Apparently Michael Cole dropped a gay slur on Josh Matthews on Twitter today.

He apparently did or he did? What was the slur? Is it really that big of a deal? And for that matter, what did Dana White say?

I interpreted The Rock/Cena thing as Cena is the wrong color to be a rapper. If that was the intended message, does not bother me in the least. Words are only that: words.

He apparently did or he did?

He did.

What was the slur?

Faggot.

Is it really that big of a deal?

Considering WWE's recent dealings with GLAAD and being so jittery about any controversy causing problems with sponsors or networks, it could've been.

And for that matter, what did Dana White say?

So far, nothing.

Dana White called Loretta Hunt a "fucking dumb bitch" and a "fucking moron" after she wrote this article a couple of years ago. He had even stronger words for her anonymous source quoted in that story:

"And here’s a quote from a guy who wanted to remain anonymous because of fear of repercussions. Shut the fuck up. Any fucking guy who won’t put his name on it, first of all, whoever gave you that quote is a pussy and a fucking faggot and a fucking liar and everything else."