Pro Wrestling Only

Chael Sonnen - still the world's greatest carny!

kjh

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Oh man, that pre fight promo was one of the more embarrassing "promos" I have ever seen. Not only was he desperately trying to keep in his promo voice, but that turn to the camera at the end had me literally spitting out my coffee and laughing. We were howling at how awful that was. That turn to the camera was like the shittiest David Caruso pre-credits CSI Miami take ever.

Oh man, that pre fight promo was one of the more embarrassing "promos" I have ever seen. Not only was he desperately trying to keep in his promo voice, but that turn to the camera at the end had me literally spitting out my coffee and laughing. We were howling at how awful that was. That turn to the camera was like the shittiest David Caruso pre-credits CSI Miami take ever.

"I'm like a pack of cigarettes.

[turns]

I may be hazardous for your health!"

YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!

• 3 months later...

Well, at least according to the NSAC. The rest of us can believe that Chael has low testosterone due to years of juicing.

This does really open it up for juicers to study how to get a "conditional therapeutic use exemption" and how to properly cycle so they're down below the 6:1 come the final clearance test.

John

John, it's not that the NSAC said so. His FSH levels being normal means it's secondary hypogonadism (as in testosterone levels are low secondary to a problem that's not in the testes), which cannot be caused by steroid abuse. Steroid abuse causes primary hypgonadism, which is where the testes fail and FSH levels are high because the pituitary is trying to tell them to produce more testosterone. It's surprising but there's no other way to interpret the test results, which makes his doctor look even worse because he originally misdiagnosed Chael as having primary hypgonadism.

There's still something strange going on when he doesn't stick to the recommended treatment schedule. Like Chris Benoit, just because he has a legitimate need, that doesn't mean he hasn't superdosed to performance enhance in the past. It doesn't help that the NSAC hasn't got an endocrinologist on board yet to review such cases.

However, given his career trajectory, I can believe he was clean before 2008, as he only became a UFC championship level fighter after that date.

Actually I might be wrong about that. There are some places where steroid abuse is exclusively linked with primary but Bryan's telling me it can cause secondary as well and googling around it looks like that's the case. I can't remember when I was first told this but believe Keith Kizer is under a similar impression.

I'm not buying that his low test isn't due to massive juice use for years.

Also disagree with Keith on lateness to juicing. Mark McGwire did juice before getting insanely thick in 1995. He almost certainly increased his levels of use over the years:

* possible some minor useage at USC

* almost certainly some increased use early in the Bash Brothers era

* increased use again after the 1991 horrible off season followed by rapid improvement in 1992

* massive increases after the 1993-94 injury season

He just took it to an insane level in 1995-98, but it doesn't mean he wasn't using before... for probably close to a decade.

In turn, it's a work that Barry Bonds suddenly started juicing in the year he set the dinger record. He almost certainly was using earlier in the 90s. He just cranked it up to insane levels after the injury season, then went higher and higher.

Chael?

College wrestling All American at Oregon in 1998.

College athletes at a major university.... juice? :)

I actually wouldn't be surprised if he was juicing in high school. I went to high school with kids who juiced, and that was 1984... and guys who juiced just to make the team, not even to get a scholorship.

John

I agree that's the most likely scenario, John, that Chael ramped up his juicing to insane levels to become a title contender. Just that, it's not completely implausible that he was clean before 2008, but the fact he has hypogonadism suggests otherwise.

I never thought I'd live to see a world where Paul E. wouldn't be the gold standard by which all other carnies are judged. But when a guy who has most likely been jucing for most of his adult life can turn a TRT exemption hearing into an advisory role on the board that was deciding the exemption, I have to say that The Carny Throne is now sitting on the head of Chael P. Sonnen. What a performance.