Pro Wrestling Only

Best on Interviews

Loss

Steve Austin won this in the WON awards, and I can't argue that too much, but my personal pick would be Hulk Hogan.

Hogan is interesting to track as a promo after his heel turn. He's full of piss and vinegar in the month or so immediately after turning, and it feels overdone. He seems to realize this and relaxes quite a bit and really embraces the Hollywood role for all its worth, leading to the best interviews of his career.

I guarantee you the Savage and Piper feuds would not have enjoyed the success they did without Hogan's tremendous interviews. He hit every point perfectly and was such a great, get-under-your-skin heel.

It stands out even more when you see him next to Hall and Nash. I remember thinking at the time that Hall and Nash were the cool ones and should ditch Hogan. Really, that's a compliment toward *Hogan*. He was the money guy. The others added value to the group, but Hogan was the nucleus.

Other good interviews in 1996 were Ric Flair (tremendous in the first few months of the year), Wolfie D, Austin obviously, Brian Pillman (although I think he tried too hard sometimes) and Arn Anderson's build to War Games was off the charts.

I thought Arn's interviews building up War Games were the best interviews of the year. From August on Hogan was great each and every week. I dug Lawler's stuff. Austin was great in the second half of the year. I feel Hogan takes it home. Flair early in the year was gold, but got campy in the 2nd half.