Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-02-22-WWF-Raw] Interview: Hulk Hogan

Loss

Hogan does a sit-down interview with Vince while wearing an Icopro t-shirt. Without mentioning the steroid scandal, he acknowledges that he has made some mistakes in his life, but at the same time, he thanks the Hulkamaniacs for sticking by him through the "tabloid terrorism". He adds a fifth demandment, which is to believe in Hulk Hogan. Delusional, but fun.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hulk wearing his Ico Pro shirt! Hogan ready to make his return to the ring. Vince calls back to his same interview with Hogan before Wrestlemania 8 (in same setting) which is a nice touch. Hogan wearing the black and white in 1993. Hulk wants to be the leader of the 90’s. There is now five demandments of Hulkamania.

• 3 months later...

I normally love the rare glimpses of Quiet Hogan, but like those Beefcake interviews there's an air of phoniness permeating this--even considering that this is wrestling we're talking about. I don't know if even the densest mark could buy how exciting the future of Hulkamania was. Hogan's semi-apology is EERILY similar to the shit Ryan Braun was saying after his suspension came down. Especially the mock-surprise "Turns out I'm human" part. It's truly uncanny--if Hogan starts accusing these tabloid terrorists of anti-Semitism, I'm outta here.

Hogan wants to be the leader of the '90s, and the "do as I say" part of Hogan is gone. BELIEVE IN HULK HOGAN. I didn't outright turn on Hulk just yet at this point, but as I said...the excitement over seeing him come back simply wasn't there. The shark-jumping moment hasn't arrived, but Fonz Hogan is on the waterskis and off the ramp.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hogan hit all the right notes here, yet still managed to take shots at those who don't believe in him as a person and icon. What, you expected him to say, "I'm a no-good piece of dogshit, and I shouldn't be stinking up professional wrestling anymore, so I'll bow out gracefully in favor of Mitsuharu Misawa"?

The "tabloid terrorism" stuff relates just as much to Vince as it does to Hogan, and might have even been written by Vince for all we know. Otherwise, this is just a more mellow version of what we've heard for nine years.

One question about the new "demandment": If you're already a Hulkamaniac, isn't believing in Hulk Hogan sort of a prerequisite? If you're not, why the hell would you become one after all you've heard about the man recently?

• GSR changed the title to [1993-02-22-WWF-Raw] Interview: Hulk Hogan