Pro Wrestling Only

Things I learned by listening to Dave Lagana's podcasts.

sek69

Another tidbit that really isn't a shock to anyone who's paid attention at all to WWE, several ex writers more or less confirmed that most of the ideas that the talent come up with get vetoed by Vince because they reference pop culture and doesn't understand any of them. By far the hardest thing if you're a 20 something midcard/job guy trying to get noticed is to come up with something that will appeal to a 60 something billionaire who is insulated from pop culture to the point of being alien.

It just occurred to me: the thing that made WWF and WrestleMania so huge was linking it to pop culture. Granted, just referencing pop culture isn't the same, but when so much of the focus is on appealing to teens and young adults even just references can have mileage. Just look at the response to friggin' Bob Barker!

Interesting story from the latest ep of Formerly Creative (ep 7 p2) was that apparently they were really really close to doing War Games circa 2002 but being so fresh off of 9/11 they decided against it because it had the word "War" in it so they created the Elimination Chamber instead.

Two interesting things I heard on there. First was a total inversion of an old internet story: that Vince McMahon was so out of touch with pop culture that he had never seen any of the Pirates Of The Caribbean movies, and that's why he killed the Pirate Paul Burchill gimmick. The writer (forget which one, maybe Bauer?) said that Vince was the one who originally suggested the pirate gimmick, because he'd just seen the movie and thought Burchill kinda looked like a pirate.

Secondly: uh, was anyone else a little weirded out by Dave Prazak saying that they have a bar in the locker room at Shimmer? He explicitly said that he's usually drunk throughout the entire show, which kind of implies that some of the workers might be too. That sounds a bit like lawsuit-bait to me, if someone gets hurt in a match and their opponent Had A Few before going out to the ring.

Two interesting things I heard on there. First was a total inversion of an old internet story: that Vince McMahon was so out of touch with pop culture that he had never seen any of the Pirates Of The Caribbean movies, and that's why he killed the Pirate Paul Burchill gimmick. The writer (forget which one, maybe Bauer?) said that Vince was the one who originally suggested the pirate gimmick, because he'd just seen the movie and thought Burchill kinda looked like a pirate.

Well, Court Bauer told that story again last week on Alvarez's show, that Vince loved Pirate of the Caribbean and wanted Burchill to have the gimmick. So, where's the truth here ?

Thought the exact same thing. Lagana says Vince doesnt and when he does Vince things that every film is great due to his lack of exposure to them. Then you have things like Something about Mary or Austin Powers being ripped off 5 years after release in skit.

Secondly: uh, was anyone else a little weirded out by Dave Prazak saying that they have a bar in the locker room at Shimmer?

I think that it was just one of the stipulations Rebecca Knox laid down for her return. lol

Considering he lives a drug free lifestyle and seemingly has an extremely low tolerance for petty bullshit, it's nothing short of a miracle Punk's not only lasted this long in wrestling but has gone nearly all the way to the top.

Also I'm fairly certain the whole New Nexus angle with Punk as leader came about because he was bitter about the SES getting torpedoed because Vince was pissed at Serena not keeping kayfabe on her free time. He seemed especially upset over Luke Gallows getting endeavored. It's kind of amazing that no one else outside of the very upper echelon could say the things he does and not at least get a one way ticket to jobbertown over it.

I think the first thing you said in the post pretty much explains Punk's status. Due to him never taking any drugs, he's an easy guy for Vince to point to when necessary, as if to say, "See, we have guys who are in fact clean."

Someone not long ago asked him how he can be a wrestler without painkillers and his response was "I'm not a pussy". Then someone else asked if he was saying every wrestler who takes painkillers is a pussy and he said yes.

The best part is that WWE wants everyone to be their gimmick on social media sites, so him being an asshole to everyone fits perfectly with that.

• 1 month later...

I heard the story about Vince scripting Mae Young giving birth to a hand to make Gerald Briscoe vomit.

But Kevin Kelly today tells the story of Vince McMahon sharting his pants walking to the ring at the Nassau Coliseum. Then later after he changed Vince was seen chasing Gerry with his soiled under pants on a stick backstage!

I heard the story about Vince scripting Mae Young giving birth to a hand to make Gerald Briscoe vomit.

But Kevin Kelly today tells the story of Vince McMahon sharting his pants walking to the ring at the Nassau Coliseum. Then later after he changed Vince was seen chasing Gerry with his soiled under pants on a stick backstage!

You just know people have bought Vince 'World's Greatest Boss' coffee mugs.

Someone not long ago asked him how he can be a wrestler without painkillers and his response was "I'm not a pussy". Then someone else asked if he was saying every wrestler who takes painkillers is a pussy and he said yes.

The best part is that WWE wants everyone to be their gimmick on social media sites, so him being an asshole to everyone fits perfectly with that.

Punk's fall is going to be glorious.