Pro Wrestling Only

The Undertaker's Streak vs. HHH's power

smkelly

In 2001, Triple H faced The Undertaker at WrestleMania 17. Some of the IWC (myself included) feared that Hunter would end the streak because of his already sizable pull in the company. Obviously, that didn't happen, and the IWC had a sense of relief. Now, ten years later, Triple H is once again pitted against The Undertaker at WrestleMania (27).

Things have changed considerably since WrestleMania 17. Hunter went from dating Stephanie to marrying her to having children with her. His position in the company sky-rocketed (as a result of his relationship), which is evidenced by countless PPV main-events and World title reigns. Furthermore, his position behind the scenes has also built up nicely too. He is still on the booking team and now, even has an office of his own.

So, is Hunter finally the man to topple The Streak? And if so, is it a good thing or a bad thing?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HHH was going to win that match initially, but they changed the finish when Shawn Michaels flaked out.

I thought the finish was HBK costing Triple H the match, to set up a feud and a match at Backlash.

They have mentioned he is undefeated since Wrestlemania 11. Orton became the first wrestler to face him just so he could break the streak

I just watched X-7 last night. They did mention the Streak several times, but it wasn't the primary focus of the storyline. (Although oddly the angle started almost exactly the same way, with HHH bragging about how he's beaten everyone and has no challenges left.) When Taker got the pin, Ross screamed "Nine-and-oh!" So while the streak wasn't yet as big a deal as it would become later, it was definitely part of the mix.

Triple H is obviously not winning

You know, I'd love to have that type of optimism regarding Hunter and more importantly, the WWE, but I just can't. I mean, how many times have they swerved us in the past - or destroyed characters? Not saying if Taker loses it'll destroy him character wise, but it will definitely do something to him, and to that degree, Triple H too. They did, after all, de-mask Kane, which ruined him for a lengthy period of time, as the "scars" were only psychological. The WWE does have a track record of doing the wrong thing, notably with HHH involved. Maybe I'm just being too pessimistic?

At any rate, if Triple H does win - what's the end result?

Hilarity on my part.

And really, what's to hope from such a match in 2011 ? Either HHH retires, which is way overdue, I don't understand how anyone would want to watch him in 2011 (well, I didn't understand it in 2001 either but that's another matter), either the streak is finally broken (which I don't think will happen quite honestly). Their match in WMX7 was really bad, so ten years later, as HHH is old and Taker is broken down, it probably will be ugly to watch. So the only real interest to me is to have a memorable result. If Taker just beats HHH and nothing comes out of it, yawn.

Alvarez says they are going on last

If that is true, their match was obviously elevated over two World titles and puts the "Royal Rumble winner main events WrestleMania!" to bed.

Eh, almost every show has more than one "main event" these days, which is annoying. Main eventing Wrestlemania doesn't mean what it used to, because some years there are 4-5 "main events".

Supposedly, Jericho recorded interviews hyping the match, ala Shawn.

I don't believe the streak was ever hyped before Mania until the Orton match either. I do recall Taker's growing record being mentioned over the years, both during the match and after the match. Heck, I remember Vince mentioning that Taker went to 4-0 after beating Bundy, but there was no major pre-Mania hype until Mania 21.

Triple H is obviously not winning

You know, I'd love to have that type of optimism regarding Hunter and more importantly, the WWE, but I just can't. I mean, how many times have they swerved us in the past - or destroyed characters? Not saying if Taker loses it'll destroy him character wise, but it will definitely do something to him, and to that degree, Triple H too. They did, after all, de-mask Kane, which ruined him for a lengthy period of time, as the "scars" were only psychological. The WWE does have a track record of doing the wrong thing, notably with HHH involved. Maybe I'm just being too pessimistic?

But he's not winning.

De-masking Kane, and Kane's rampage of terror was amazing.

The Streak > 8 WWF World Heavyweight Championships, 5 World Heavyweight Championships, 5 WWF Intercontinental Championships, King of the Ring, and Royal Rumble victory.

Yeah, I don't see Hunter burying his title accomplishments unless he's winning.

Man, I'm turning into a mark. I might need an intervention.