Pro Wrestling Only

Have any of these guys ever had good matches?

Has there ever been a good Stevie Ray singles match? I know he had plenty of good tag matches in Harlem Heat, but I can't think of a good singles match he had.

There are limits to what I'm going to do for you guys.

BUT, there are Rick Martel, Booker, Jericho, Hall, Jarrett, Steiner, DDP and Luger matches.

Not a ton to work with.

The Martel match is only remarkable because Martel was coming back from knee surgery after he blew it out against Booker (who also gave him a concussion earlier on), and Stevie Ray fucked up Martel's neck. Which led to Martel's retirement.

Stevie Ray is easily one of the worst worker I've came across. Really good on the mic though.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of context of who's in the match I found the idea somewhat worthy of praise, in the sense that they actually had a storyline around every match on the PPV. Some of their big shows had incredibly random matches that just happened for no reason. Hell, about half of Starrcade '98 falls into that category. So at least in that sense I thought it wasn't a period that was a total waste in terms of what they were thinking. But some of the workers they were clinging onto and giving those storylines to was pretty ridiculous (never mind also in this case the refusal to let the nWo die) and emphasized an element of why WCW was WCW.

The match itself sucked a dick of course. I don't know if it's really any worse than, say, a majority of Konnan's work from relatively the same period. Now there's a guy that was an absolute black hole for most of what I've seen him do.

Out of context of who's in the match I found the idea somewhat worthy of praise, in the sense that they actually had a storyline around every match on the PPV. Some of their big shows had incredibly random matches that just happened for no reason.

That's what made WCW so great to me. For no reason at all you could get Mike Enos or Mickey Whipreck on PPV. Or Silver King. I loved this WAResque randomness on WCW programs.

And yes, Konnan was just terrible at every turn. Part of my top 5 worst wrestler of 1998 in WCW. In good company. He did had some watchable matches against a few mexican workers, but that's about it.

I don't have anything against any of these guys necessarily, but I'm not sure what I would point to for them either:

Henry Godwinn

Mideon

Cobra/nWo Sting

Nathan Jones

Shanghai Pierce and Tex slazenger were a ton of un in WCW and was dissapointed that none of their stuff v Cactus Jack made it to either 92 or 93 set as they were essentially 90s mobile heavyweights (your Kane/Mike Awesome FMW type) combined with actually having some southern tag psyche. Also think you would enjoy the HHH hog pen match.

NWO Sting is fine in NJ.

Nathan Jones has a bunch of this guy is being carried stuff in begining of his career. He was typical UPW guy in that he was monster gaijin who was better at eating bumps than at making his own offense look good (which makes you an awful monster gaijin) still thought Hashimoto did nice job working around him. And he was a guy who could fly around for Steiner (and because Jones is so big it looked real impressive). By end of his WWF run I thought he kind of had his shit together and enjoyed some of his new Legion of Doom tags and the Undertaker series.

I suppose the question is: CAN you have a good match involving a guy with Kamala's moveset and general ability?

The thing about Kimala is that for the 80s despite the gimmick ( and I don't really care about "play the role " arguments) he was a big moveset highspot guy. The second rope splash was a big highspot let alone the top rope version. Nevermind the big leg drop, second rope corner axe handle, second rope middle of ring axe handle, standing splash, his bionic style elbow, Ringo Mendoza spin kick, etc.

I think his stuff with Andre is worth tracking down, I'd also go through Midsouth set looking for his matches (I think his series with Terry Taylor may have unfortunately not made the set). He is at his best when he is doing workrate sprint brawl. He can be deadly dull when he moves away from the big moveset matches and does his more technical match built around nerve holds.

Impression I got of Kamala in Texas is that he was great working tags and short singles bouts. Guy with a lot of nasty looking offense, shockingly agile for someone his size, and ate offense and bumped really well. But he had trouble filling the middle of longer singles matches. Like TomK said, he wasn't afraid to sink in the heart claw for a looooooong time if he had to, and while I have a higher tolerance for clawholds than most, I've no illusions about what was going on there.

It seems like I'm always the guy who tries to run to Nathan Jones defense in all of these threads, and I think they always get ignored (or people just don't believe me). I really think he was starting to get how to be effective in the ring, and then just kinda quit a month later.

http://www.filestube.com/80e9ea964c01f2980...es-11-6-03.html

That's the 11/6/03 Smackdown match which I love. Jones/Matt Morgan/A-Train/Lesnar vs. Benoit/Angle. It's clear that it's not Jones being carried by guys, and he's even put in the position of having to work the first 2 minutes against Angle and Benoit. Yes, Angle bumps huge for him, but he shows great presence, throws an awesome shoulderblock and back elbow, bullies Benoit into the corner in a real cool way, takes a dropkick to the knee really nicely (dropping awkwardly down to one knee and then shaking his leg out afterwards). That's all he's in until the very end, where he misses a big boot in the corner, ends up crotched on the top rope, then takes an INSANE bump to the floor that's worth the price of admission.

I don't think he had too many more matches before quitting (I think he had Angle and Benoit singles matches, and maybe Team Lesnar match at Survivor Series), but if his performance in this match is any indication, he was really starting to catch on before quitting.

• 2 months later...

I liked this thread so going to throw a few more out before I collapse:

- Erik Watts

- Ole Anderson [i know there's one on one of the Schneider comps]

- Bill Eadie

- Barry Darsow

- That guy who was Nailz

- Virgil [other than vs. DiBiase) [everyone no-sold this originally]

- Steve Lombardi

- Test

- Bull Buchanan

- Mabel / Viscera

Ole Anderson has had many, many good matches. Tag matches against the Rock & Rolls at Starrcade and during the Bash tour, clipped footage of Andersons vs Flair/Valentine, the Magnum match from TBS, the elimination match from World Pro Weekly and tons more.

Can't name any specific matches but Bill Eadie as Masked Superstar was pretty respected and probably has some good stuff.

Barry Darsow was in some good matches, particularly an outstanding tag against the Rock & Rolls, who won the tag titles either in their NWA debut or one of their first matches.

Virgil is said to have had a Terry Funk match on an indy that's even better than the DiBiase match.

Test was pretty decent in 2001-2002. Had plenty of good TV matches and I really, really like Survivor Series against Edge.

Ole Anderson has had many, many good matches. Tag matches against the Rock & Rolls at Starrcade and during the Bash tour, clipped footage of Andersons vs Flair/Valentine, the Magnum match from TBS, the elimination match from World Pro Weekly and tons more.

Can't name any specific matches but Bill Eadie as Masked Superstar was pretty respected and probably has some good stuff.

Barry Darsow was in some good matches, particularly an outstanding tag against the Rock & Rolls, who won the tag titles either in their NWA debut or one of their first matches.

Virgil is said to have had a Terry Funk match on an indy that's even better than the DiBiase match.

Test was pretty decent in 2001-2002. Had plenty of good TV matches and I really, really like Survivor Series against Edge.

Loss, in every case looking for singles matches.