Pro Wrestling Only

Best Black Wrestler ever

No love for Special Delivery Jones or Koko Ware?

Also, are you really ranking Kamala above Scorpio? Will I understand this people thinking Kamala is good thing by the end of the Watts set?

That isn't a list in order of great black wrestlers. Just a random list for people to think about. Obviously, Koko should be on the list.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Where would people rank D-Lo Brown?

Lower Middle of the pack.

My buddy, Negro Suave at DVDVR was working on a black wrestler list for a comp and here is a list of guys he could think of off the top of his head...

Butch Reed

Ron Simmons

Kamala

Booker T

The Rock

The Gangstas

Jazz

Ahmed Johnson

JYD

D. Lo Brown

Scorpio

Abdullah the butcher

Ernie Ladd

Tony Atlas

Godfather

Big Daddy V

Mark Henry

Jay Lethal

Shelton Benjamin

Ron Killings

Lashley

Pope

Monty Brown

MVP

Digging this topic back up because it is a pet project of mine

That was a list off the top of my head and I am still working on refining it. Koko and SD are def included. Norman Smiley I think should also be included as well as Bobo Brazil.

Problem with Bobo Brazil is that the stuff that is easy to find is very late in his career he looks like an old old man.

As far as ranking them, I'd be hard pressed to put someone over The Rock but I would definately put Reed over Scorpio. Please feel free to keep adding to this as I am still trying to come up with a finalized list for this comp.

Aja Kong, is one I hadn't considered.

It's actually kind of... weird to think of how small the number of black workers is on a "greatest wrestlers ever" list. I mean, women's wrestling is pretty much relegated to a small group, two close generations of workers in one country more or less, and you'd find half a dozen, at least, somewhere near the top. Basketball, football (both), baseball, track; so many sports have equal numbers of black/white great players if not a dominance of black players, so what gives?

Probably a multitude of reasons, really. Racism is definitely on the list of reasons why black wrestlers haven't had an equal cup of success in wrestling. I think the racism extends just as much to the fans as it does/did to promoters and workers alike. The ladder of superstardom is not as easily attained in professional wrestling as it is in other sports, like the aforementioned baseball, football, and basketball.

Probably a multitude of reasons, really. Racism is definitely on the list of reasons why black wrestlers haven't had an equal cup of success in wrestling. I think the racism extends just as much to the fans as it does/did to promoters and workers alike. The ladder of superstardom is not as easily attained in professional wrestling as it is in other sports, like the aforementioned baseball, football, and basketball.

I think more racism from inside the business than from the fans.

Promoters/bookers/wrestlers play to the racism of the fans. They also play to their own racism looking for reasons to avoid developing/pushing black wrestlers.

If it wasn't proven before, Rock pretty much ended the myth that wrestling fans all of the country wouldn't get behind a black wrestler.

But I think long before that the myth should have been dead. Blacks in other forms of entertainment have been wildly "cross over" popular for decades. In turn, taking the fake-sport to real-sport comp, black athletes have done big business in sports through the years.

Wrestling has always been like the mafia: a closed business where the "us" is protected.

John

I cannot believe I forgot Clive Myers. His match against Steve Grey might be the best WOS match of all-time. While it is the only WOS I have ever seen, my brain cannot fathom any other match from that promotion ever topping that particular November 1975 match between them. Hence my excitement for the England 80s DVDVR set.

I won't go too far into yet another Marine story, but one of my better friends in the Corps was a black guy from North Carolina. He always insisted he was a better worker than Ric Flair. I always found that interesting. If Flair were black, would he still be the Flair we know today? I mean, in other sports athletic ability transcended the race barrier in the 70s when Flair first broke into the business. Flair really broke out in the 80s when the race barrier was further pushed back. Could working quality outshine racism in America in the 1980s to a Flair like level?

You'd've thought someone would've pushed a black wrestler (or a few) hard in the wake of Jackie Robinson or something, though, right? Hell, I'm amazed I haven't heard of a guy working as Jackie Luther/King.

There have been Abraham Washington and Black Jesus, though.

I thought the tradition of wrestling promoters refusing to push black wrestlers started as a response to Jack Johnson in boxing. Didn't the success of the Gotch-Hackenschmidt coincide with the Jack Johnson title reign? The Comiskey Park battle came a year after the "Fight of the Century" between Johnson and Jeffries. Promoters knew that in wrestling they could always be sure there would be a white champion and as black athletes became more active in other spots I have no doubt that racist promoters wanted to maintain that tradition.

If Flair were black, would he still be the Flair we know today? I mean, in other sports athletic ability transcended the race barrier in the 70s when Flair first broke into the business. Flair really broke out in the 80s when the race barrier was further pushed back. Could working quality outshine racism in America in the 1980s to a Flair like level?

I don't think so. How many territories had black stars headlining apart from Mid-south ? I can't see a black wrestler becoming Ric Flair in the 80's. There wasn't even a place for black transitionnal champion, like Butch Reed probably could have been.

Hell, WWE still never had a black world champion, or am I so out of the loop I missed something ?

Dale Martin/Joint Promotions probably pushed the most black wrestlers of any territory in the 70s.

Off the top of my head, Clive Myers, Honeyboy Zimba, Johnny Kwango, Johnny Kincaid, Dave Bond, Kid Chocolate, Lenny Hurst, Jim Moser and Caswell Martin. That's not counting the Indian and Pakistani wrestlers they pushed, either, which you don't see much of in other territories.

I thought the tradition of wrestling promoters refusing to push black wrestlers started as a response to Jack Johnson in boxing. Didn't the success of the Gotch-Hackenschmidt coincide with the Jack Johnson title reign? The Comiskey Park battle came a year after the "Fight of the Century" between Johnson and Jeffries. Promoters knew that in wrestling they could always be sure there would be a white champion and as black athletes became more active in other spots I have no doubt that racist promoters wanted to maintain that tradition.

This was my undestanding as well. I've also thought because of this there is no tradition that can be traced to the black community as far as this particular brand of entertainment. It really is one of the onlyforms of entertainment that doesn't have a strong black presence as far as america goes. And really that is as far as it goes, most other countries have their own tradition and africa goes by way of europe with not as many african wrestlers even.

Hell, WWE still never had a black world champion, or am I so out of the loop I missed something ?

Booker T, when he was doing the King Booka gimmick. The Rock, if you count a half-Samoan as black. Bobby Lashley, if you count the ECW belt as a "world title".

Booker got the World Title ? Ok then, so he's the only one. The Rock doesn't count. And the ECW belt was not even on the level of the old IC belt.