145 replies to this topic

#21 goodhelmet

goodhelmet
  • Admins
  • 18952 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:51 PM

Where would people rank D-Lo Brown?

Lower Middle of the pack.

My buddy, Negro Suave at DVDVR was working on a black wrestler list for a comp and here is a list of guys he could think of off the top of his head...

Butch Reed
Ron Simmons
Kamala
Booker T
The Rock
The Gangstas
Jazz
Ahmed Johnson
JYD
D. Lo Brown
Scorpio
Abdullah the butcher
Ernie Ladd
Tony Atlas
Godfather
Big Daddy V
Mark Henry
Jay Lethal
Shelton Benjamin
Ron Killings
Lashley
Pope
Monty Brown
MVP

#22 Al

Al

Because a wrestling avatar seemed appropriate

• Members
  • 2932 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:55 PM

Bobo Brazil probably belongs on that list.

#23 goodhelmet

goodhelmet
  • Admins
  • 18952 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:17 PM

Sure, as well as T. Patterson but I think the list for guysw e could come up with plenty of footage for.

#24 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11324 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 02:57 AM

No love for Special Delivery Jones or Koko Ware? Also, are you really ranking Kamala above Scorpio? Will I understand this people thinking Kamala is good thing by the end of the Watts set?

#25 Mr Wrestling X

Mr Wrestling X

Quite Frankly...

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:08 AM

If we're talking about 'Best' in terms of Pure Wrestling ability, I'd have to say Scorpio. Obviously if you look at charisma, psychology and mic skills, its got to be The Rock hands down.

#26 goodhelmet

goodhelmet
  • Admins
  • 18952 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:11 AM

No love for Special Delivery Jones or Koko Ware?

Also, are you really ranking Kamala above Scorpio? Will I understand this people thinking Kamala is good thing by the end of the Watts set?

That isn't a list in order of great black wrestlers. Just a random list for people to think about. Obviously, Koko should be on the list.

#27 MikeCampbell

MikeCampbell

80% of crazy!

• Members
  • 2142 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:25 AM

How about Norman Smiley?

#28 Negro Suave

Negro Suave

The Big Black Unit

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 12:02 PM

Where would people rank D-Lo Brown?

Lower Middle of the pack.

My buddy, Negro Suave at DVDVR was working on a black wrestler list for a comp and here is a list of guys he could think of off the top of his head...

Butch Reed
Ron Simmons
Kamala
Booker T
The Rock
The Gangstas
Jazz
Ahmed Johnson
JYD
D. Lo Brown
Scorpio
Abdullah the butcher
Ernie Ladd
Tony Atlas
Godfather
Big Daddy V
Mark Henry
Jay Lethal
Shelton Benjamin
Ron Killings
Lashley
Pope
Monty Brown
MVP

Digging this topic back up because it is a pet project of mine

That was a list off the top of my head and I am still working on refining it. Koko and SD are def included. Norman Smiley I think should also be included as well as Bobo Brazil.

Problem with Bobo Brazil is that the stuff that is easy to find is very late in his career he looks like an old old man.

As far as ranking them, I'd be hard pressed to put someone over The Rock but I would definately put Reed over Scorpio. Please feel free to keep adding to this as I am still trying to come up with a finalized list for this comp.

Aja Kong, is one I hadn't considered.

#29 EricR

EricR
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 758 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:39 PM

List needs more Porkchop Cash. And also, surprised to not see Iceman King Parsons on there since we just saw a bunch of him on the Texas set. Brickhouse Brown has popped up on the 80s sets as well.

#30 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10173 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:28 PM

I'm not a huge Rocky Johnson fan but he should be on the set somewhere.

#31 smkelly

smkelly
  • Members
  • 1154 posts
  • Interests:Zombies, writing, professional wrestling, writing about zombies, German Shepherds, and Internet message boards.

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:55 PM

I think if Shelton were booked better he would have been one of the best, like top five best.

#32 MJH

MJH
  • Members
  • 908 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 04:38 PM

It's actually kind of... weird to think of how small the number of black workers is on a "greatest wrestlers ever" list. I mean, women's wrestling is pretty much relegated to a small group, two close generations of workers in one country more or less, and you'd find half a dozen, at least, somewhere near the top. Basketball, football (both), baseball, track; so many sports have equal numbers of black/white great players if not a dominance of black players, so what gives?

#33 smkelly

smkelly
  • Members
  • 1154 posts
  • Interests:Zombies, writing, professional wrestling, writing about zombies, German Shepherds, and Internet message boards.

Posted 22 June 2011 - 05:42 PM

Probably a multitude of reasons, really. Racism is definitely on the list of reasons why black wrestlers haven't had an equal cup of success in wrestling. I think the racism extends just as much to the fans as it does/did to promoters and workers alike. The ladder of superstardom is not as easily attained in professional wrestling as it is in other sports, like the aforementioned baseball, football, and basketball.

#34 Johnny Sorrow

Johnny Sorrow
  • Members
  • 4489 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 05:43 PM

It' Basketball, football (both), baseball, track; so many sports have equal numbers of black/white great players if not a dominance of black players, so what gives?

Posted Image

"See, that's what I was talking bout."

:lol:

#35 jdw

jdw
  • Members
  • 8040 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 05:51 PM

Probably a multitude of reasons, really. Racism is definitely on the list of reasons why black wrestlers haven't had an equal cup of success in wrestling. I think the racism extends just as much to the fans as it does/did to promoters and workers alike. The ladder of superstardom is not as easily attained in professional wrestling as it is in other sports, like the aforementioned baseball, football, and basketball.

I think more racism from inside the business than from the fans.

Promoters/bookers/wrestlers play to the racism of the fans. They also play to their own racism looking for reasons to avoid developing/pushing black wrestlers.

If it wasn't proven before, Rock pretty much ended the myth that wrestling fans all of the country wouldn't get behind a black wrestler.

But I think long before that the myth should have been dead. Blacks in other forms of entertainment have been wildly "cross over" popular for decades. In turn, taking the fake-sport to real-sport comp, black athletes have done big business in sports through the years.

Wrestling has always been like the mafia: a closed business where the "us" is protected.

John

#36 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10173 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:09 PM

Another factor is that for years there weren't any real "wrestling schools" per se. You had to know one of the boys to get in and I get the feeling that most of the boys weren't exactly multiculturalists

#37 goodhelmet

goodhelmet
  • Admins
  • 18952 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:25 PM

That might have a little to do with it but it was mainly racism. The blacks that did get in were either savages or shucking n' jiving. They weren't exactly encouraged to work main event style... whatever that means.

#38 Guest_Paul Kersey_*

Guest_Paul Kersey_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:26 PM

What about Cheex?

#39 Bix

Bix
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 6253 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:09 PM

Oh crap, we forgot Clive Myers and The Sunshine Boys,

#40 smkelly

smkelly
  • Members
  • 1154 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:55 AM

I cannot believe I forgot Clive Myers. His match against Steve Grey might be the best WOS match of all-time. While it is the only WOS I have ever seen, my brain cannot fathom any other match from that promotion ever topping that particular November 1975 match between them. Hence my excitement for the England 80s DVDVR set. I won't go too far into yet another Marine story, but one of my better friends in the Corps was a black guy from North Carolina. He always insisted he was a better worker than Ric Flair. I always found that interesting. If Flair were black, would he still be the Flair we know today? I mean, in other sports athletic ability transcended the race barrier in the 70s when Flair first broke into the business. Flair really broke out in the 80s when the race barrier was further pushed back. Could working quality outshine racism in America in the 1980s to a Flair like level?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users