Pro Wrestling Only

Best Black Wrestler ever

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why doesn't the Rock count? Not black enough?

The Rock is seen as a samoan. I know it's absurd anyway, since there's no such thing as race, but that's the way it is, he's really more seen as part of the samoan family than anything else.

So anyway, WWE had to wait for the 2000's to have a black champion. I don't think Flair could have been what he's been if he had been black, sadly.

The Rock is seen as a samoan. I know it's absurd anyway, since there's no such thing as race, but that's the way it is, he's really more seen as part of the samoan family than anything else.

So anyway, WWE had to wait for the 2000's to have a black champion. I don't think Flair could have been what he's been if he had been black, sadly.

Think you are splitting hairs with the racial division there. There may be some people that have an easier time accepting him as Samoan rather than black but this smacks of the "but not too black" division we see all too much. Tiger Woods, Halle Berry, Mariah Carey, The Rock, all not really black enough for some people but that's just silly.

Think you are splitting hairs with the racial division there. There may be some people that have an easier time accepting him as Samoan rather than black but this smacks of the "but not too black" division we see all too much. Tiger Woods, Halle Berry, Mariah Carey, The Rock, all not really black enough for some people but that's just silly.

Mariah Carey is black ? Well color me stunned.

I agree it is silly, but it's still how people thinks. I personnally couldn't care less.

Just thinking about something, Ahmed Johnson, if not for injuries (his and the ones he gave other workers) and egos, could easily have been the equivalent of Goldberg. He was over like hell at one point.

I agree it is silly, but it's still how people thinks. I personnally couldn't care less.

Just thinking about something, Ahmed Johnson, if not for injuries (his and the ones he gave other workers) and egos, could easily have been the equivalent of Goldberg. He was over like hell at one point.

Yeah Mariah is like a fourth. kind of the same level as Jeter.

If ahmed had stayed healthy and really took to the WWE main event style. (and they got him a good manager while sending him to speech classes) he could have been a world champion. I know I was a huge fan of his before I became a smart. He had a great look... tiger driver is a visually dominating move and looking at some of his Japan work.. he could definately leave his feet.

The thing is, how big a percentage of your ancestry needs to be African in order to be considered truly "black"? Logically, you'd need over 50%, right? Rock doesn't have that. As far as I know, his mother is pureblood Samoan. And looking at his father, Rocky Johnson is light-skinned enough that he obviously has some European heritage in his family tree. So Rock's genetic makeup is less than half black; why the insistence that he's still generally black overall?

Same thing with the other people you mentioned. These folks look like they had one black grandparent and three grandparents of other colors, if not going all the way back to great-grandparents. Why does our society have this weird obsession with calling someone like that an "African-American", when obviously the majority of their ancestors aren't from Africa?

Personally, I think it goes back to the old "one drop" rule during slavery. That is, any person whom you could tell had so much as one drop of African blood could be legally counted as black, and thus owned as a slave. This was instituted so that offspring of a slave and a white would still be counted as a slave, and their offspring, and their offspring's offspring. It was a pretty evil philosophy which was undertaken solely for financial reasons, yet somehow it's managed to hang on even up til today. Thus, a 90% white fellow like the comedian Sinbad is still somehow deemed "black" by the public.

One of my old bosses said it best... you are what your daddy is. Rock's black.

That's strange, I used to live with two Jewish girls, and SLL or Bix can correct me if I'm wrong about this, but in the Jewish faith, you are considered Jewish if your mother is Jewish, which makes Rock a Samoan. Or Jewish, I'm not quite sure.

well, i cant guess on older wrestler from before around 84 or so as thats when i began watching wrestling, but id have to go with these guys as my personal favorite black wrestlers:

1-Rock

2-Ron Simmons

3-Booker t

4-Butch Reed

5-Abdullah The Butcher

(i agree w/ Goodhelmet, Rocks daddy's black so imo he is as well)

That's strange, I used to live with two Jewish girls, and SLL or Bix can correct me if I'm wrong about this, but in the Jewish faith, you are considered Jewish if your mother is Jewish, which makes Rock a Samoan. Or Jewish, I'm not quite sure.

You are confusing race with religion.

Actually, by that definition, Rock is Canadian.

You are confusing race with nationality.

The "what's yo daddy" line of eligibility seems rather sexist and patriarchal. Acting like the mother's contribution doesn't matter is certainly not fair.

When did you become a member of Code Pink?

The "what's yo daddy" line of eligibility seems rather sexist and patriarchal. Acting like the mother's contribution doesn't matter is certainly not fair.

When did you become a member of Code Pink?

Of all the feminist groups you could've chosen for your joke here, that particular one is a strange way to go, considering they're all about pacifism and we're talking about rassling.

You're being a tad too sensitive, eh?

The answer to the question requires a date.

Not sure what that means, but to me the answer is in the sperm.

How exactly is disagreeing with "a woman's contribution to the genetic makeup of her child's DNA is absolutely meaningless" wrong? I can't even tell if you guys are serious or not here. If you're not serious, then I feel like I'm being trolled. If you are serious, then like I said before, I refuse to have this discussion at all.

That's not a very funny joke, man. "Dads are what's important, moms are nothing but worthless baby-factories" is the not-exactly-subtle subtext of what you said. And if you're not joking, then hell, I don't wanna even have this discussion.

I don't get the joke, but that's not what I'm responding to anyway. I've recently lost my mother to an injury caused over three years ago. She was a mother, not a mom. There is a difference between the two. I know and see moms all the time but very few real mothers anymore. Moms = baby factories to me anyway. What's wrong with that? I mean, deep down at the furthest roots of our being, reproduction remains the #1 purpose of our species.

How exactly is disagreeing with "a woman's contribution to the genetic makeup of her child's DNA is absolutely meaningless" wrong? I can't even tell if you guys are serious or not here. If you're not serious, then I feel like I'm being trolled. If you are serious, then like I said before, I refuse to have this discussion at all.

I don't see how equal rights can be given to accredit that though, Jingus. I mean, are we putting all of the eggs in the basket here, like carrying the baby for a fucking long time, or just basic DNA/babies color, sex, etc? Cause under the latter, equal rights cannot be fairly given. One sex, the male sex being it is the one that carries that victory by a large margin. Like I said, the answer is in the sperm.

She was a mother, not a mom. There is a difference between the two. I know and see moms all the time but very few real mothers anymore. Moms = baby factories to me anyway.

That's just your personal interpretation for those words. For many people, like me, they're direct synonyms and interchangeable.

I don't see how equal rights can be given to accredit that though, Jingus. I mean, are we putting all of the eggs in the basket here, like carrying the baby for a fucking long time, or just basic DNA/babies color, sex, etc? Cause under the latter, equal rights cannot be fairly given. One sex, the male sex being it is the one that carries that victory by a large margin. Like I said, the answer is in the sperm.

...what are you even talking about? You're right that a zygote's gender is determined by certain genes only found in the sperm. But practically everything else is a mix between the two parents. It's an interplay of dominant and recessive genes, not sperm versus ovum. If you think it's all down to the sperm, then you need to read up on the subject, because it's infinitely more complicated than that. Just start with Wiki's article on the subject if nothing else. Or to sum it up in anecdotal form: in hair color, skin color, and facial structure, I more strongly resemble my mom a bit more than I resemble my dad. My brother's matriarchal resemblance is even closer. What individual inherited characteristics are displayed by any offspring of any two parents is mostly a roll of the dice.

The Rock is seen as Samoan as a part of the wacky wrestling Samoan family deal. Only hard core wrestling fans see him as Samoan.

Hey, he ain't white and he was/is one of the biggest stars ever in pro wrestling. That should be good enough for people debating his DNA in relation to his fake fighting belts.

Is he any less "black" than Barack Obama?

The correct answer is whichever ancestry Rock himself chooses to identify with (which may be both...). My assumption would be Samoan, but I've neither read his book nor any interviews of his on the subject.