Photo

How do you self-identify as a wrestling fan?

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#41 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8859 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:31 AM

You have 500 unwatched wrestlig DVDs. You just spent a bunch of time on a pragraph trying to convince people you are just a fan. You have your own wrestling message board.

I have 500+ unwatched non-wrestling disks... and that's not an exageration. I just got the entire collection of Weeds, they're just sitting on the shelf still in the shrink wrap... and there's only a 50% change that I'll watch them before 2011 is up. The Cracker disks that I'm watching now are probably 3 years old, and I was susprised they were still in the shrink wrap when I pulled them off the shelf.

I'm just now reading my birthday present from my girlfriend... from last year. My birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks, the second book in the series has just been released, and she'll be getting it to me... lord knows when I'll get to it because there are another 30-50 new books on the shelf that I'm slowly working my way through.

This post makes me feel good about my unwatched DVD from last Christmas, my few dozens of Go of unwatched wrestling on DVDs and hard drive, and the 60 or so unlistened CD's on my shelves.
And between unwatched wrestling and Mary-Louise Parker, I choose the WeedMilf in a second.

#42 Kronos

Kronos

Space Mountain

• Members
  • 1027 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:57 AM

And between unwatched wrestling and Mary-Louise Parker, I choose the WeedMilf in a second.

God, I love her so very very much - esp on West Wing.

I just got about 18 books from amazon, plus another 6 kindle purchases. I have probably 50 books I have acquired in the last year (books, kindle, and iBooks) that I have yet to read. I have 60+ movies purchased from iTunes, over half of which I have not watched since buying them. Plus half a dozen seasons of TV shows bought from iTunes. And China Beach seasons 1-4, which took forever to find, forever to torrent, forever to convert from avi to itunes, and I have now watched. . .season 1 and the opener of season 2.

We're all addictive in our ways. In 2008 when I discovered CMax, I was spending hundreds of $$ a month on discs I couldn't afford and never watched (not counting ROH, Shimmer, and WWE purchases) -- and eventually sold. And that's not even taking into account all the terabytes from PWT I never watched and eventually deleted.

And don't get me started on comics and graphic novels. I almost got sucked back into that hobby a month ago but forcibly stopped myself after only a few hundred bucks.

Maybe the point is not that we are obsessive wrestling fans. Maybe the point is we are obsessive collecting geek types, who happen to number Rasslin as one of our vices?

#43 S.L.L.

S.L.L.

Grapz Opinionz 4 Y00z From J00z

• DVDVR 80s Project
  • 2217 posts
  • Interests:The Good and The Beautiful

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:05 PM

I thought a little while about how I want to answer this one.

"Freak"

That fits pretty well, as does the stuff goodhelmet and Bob wrote.

Beyond that, though, labeling varieties of fandom feels really useless these days. To put it into perspective, one new term that's come up lately is "antismark". It's been thrown at me and several other people on this board, many of whom regularly watch IWRG matches on YouTube. Insofar as the word "smark" means anything, I would have to think watching handheld camera footage of independent lucha libre promotions on YouTube would have to be considered an extremely "smarky" activity. Yet, those who do so are not simply labeled "antismarks" in spite of it, but often because of it, which suggests to me that in 2011, the word "smark" either has changed it's meaning drastically, or it doesn't actually mean anything at all. To be honest, I'm not terribly interested in finding out. I don't need a label to define me other than "wrestling fan", "really, really big wrestling fan", or possibly "freak".

#44 Kronos

Kronos

Space Mountain

• Members
  • 1027 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:20 PM

Beyond that, though, labeling varieties of fandom feels really useless these days. To put it into perspective, one new term that's come up lately is "antismark". It's been thrown at me and several other people on this board, many of whom regularly watch IWRG matches on YouTube. Insofar as the word "smark" means anything, I would have to think watching handheld camera footage of independent lucha libre promotions on YouTube would have to be considered an extremely "smarky" activity. Yet, those who do so are not simply labeled "antismarks" in spite of it, but often because of it, which suggests to me that in 2011, the word "smark" either has changed it's meaning drastically, or it doesn't actually mean anything at all. To be honest, I'm not terribly interested in finding out. I don't need a label to define me other than "wrestling fan", "really, really big wrestling fan", or possibly "freak".

I understand that term to mean someone who enjoys mainstream wrestling. If "smarks" like ROH and PWG (and maybe Japan, as long as it's full of headdropping and high flying), then antismarks trumpet the talent of Mark Henry or appreciate a silly angle.

It's a derogatory term. And stupid.

#45 jdw

jdw
  • Members
  • 8040 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:52 PM

But I've watched:

* at least 95% of the Lakers game this year
* all but 3-4 Duke games this year, 1-2 of them which weren't available on the tube
* I suspect every ManU game this year that's available with 1 possible exception

Just as an aside personally I think there's a huge difference between being fans of a club that plays a sport, and being a fan of a sport.

In soccer:

* I watch the FA Cup Final even when ManU is bounced
* I watch the Champions League Final even when ManU is bounced
* earlier this year, I watched the Carling Cup Final even though ManU wasn't in it
* Scott and I watched the World Cup Final (and a crapload of other matches) even though our teams weren't in it

I'm a Futbol fan. ManU has been my team since 1992/93, but I watch more than just ManU games.

In basketball:

* I pretty much always watch the NBA Finals even if the Lakers aren't in it
* I watch a pretty fair amount of non-Lakers playoff games prior to the Finals
* I probably watch 50-100 non-Lakers regular season games, depending on the year

I'm a pro basketball fan. The Lakers are my team, so they draw most of my attention. But Clippers-Celts a recently got my attention as well. Celts-Heat gets me attention. Checked out the Knicks after the Lebron trade. Spurs against a quality team can get my attention if nothing else is on and I want to get a feel for a potential opponent of the Lakers.

Same generally with College Basketball, though I spent much less time watching non-Duke games because time has been chewed up with other stuff (including futbol and the NBA). When I'm in College Hoops Fan Mode, I'll watch a couple non-Duke games a week.

College football is pretty nuts. I'm a USC Fan, so of course I watch their games. But during football season, Scott and I typically start with the 12:30 pm PT games and watch through at least the 5 pm PT games that end about 8/8:30. If USC is in the evening Pac 10 game, that starts around 7 to 8, and we watch that. We both have the ESPN Package, so we're flipping all over the place: CBS SEC game, ESPN's coverage of everything, ND on NBC, Pac 10 on Fox Sports. It gets really bad if there's an upset brewing in one of the early Big 10 games as I'll be getting a call from Scott between 11-11:30 telling me to tune into a game. We then can go from 11 am PT until 11 PM PT flipping between roughly a dozen games.

Scott's an Auburn Fan. I'm a USC Fan. But we're both big College Football Fans, so we'll check out Bama vs LSU because it could be a good/interesting game that impacts the season.

I watched vastly more college football from September to the first week in January this past season than I have watched wrestling in the past four years *combined*. :) And we watched the same amount of football in 2009 and 2008.

When I was a bigger baseball fan back in the 90s into the early 00s, it was the same. Any Braves game when it was on. Giants to check out Bonds. Red Sox when I got a chance. Yanks. Dodgers. Even if it was background TV while working on something, which baseball is great for because you can look up for the money moments of an at bat.

What I'm trying to get at is that College Football Fans, Baseball Fans, NBA Fans, NFL Fans (which I didn't even tough on), College Hoops fans... those folks don't go running around with some nonsensical Marks / Smart / Smarks / IWC tag that they toss around at each other, or proudly wrap around themselves.

They are Fans. Some of them are Big Fans.

Am I a Big Lakers Fan? Perhaps, but not a major one. Yohe, Jag and I don't take the day off to go to those 10 Championship Parades that have happened since 1980... though I work with one woman who does. :) I don't go to many Lakers home games: simply can't afford to given how they price the tickets (and parking and food and drinks). I simply watch the games, but a few dvds, and might have two Lakers t-shirts in the cribs... one that goes back to the three-peat and is a bit worn. :)

Big Duke Fan? People who see me post about them might think so, but I'm nothing compared to Bruce. And Bruce is nothing compared to the people who go to the Arena. I'm a Duke fan... not a casual one, but a serious one.

ManU? Never gone to one of the pubs around here that air the games to hang out with the hardcore fans. But I do get up at 4:30 am in the morning to watch a game when needed. :) I'm a serious ManU game.

That's what I'm trying to get at. We are just wrestling fans. We're not groupies. I don't think many of us want to hang out with wrestlers, or be in the business. We like watching our wrestling. Just as serious/big sports fans like watching their sports. We like talking about it, just as serious/big sports fans do. We're modern fans in terms of comminucations: we do a lot of our "talk" online, our "friends" that we talk to are online. Old school sports fans would talk at a bar, or with buddies while watching games, or call into sports radio. We know that we can pop open a browser and find some folks to talk to about wrestling... or if we're on sports boards, about sports.

We are all just fans. I suspect the folks here that go to Comic Con or other fan conventions can tell you that we all fit somewhere on the 1-100 scale. Some higher, some lower.

And no... Will and Lynch aren't 100. That would be Dave, Wade and Alverez... guys like Madden and Scherer who took their fandom and got *inside* the business. Will and Lynch might be making some coin off the business, but until they get hired by the WWE to run the tape library, they're short of 100.

The rest of us... we're down the scale. We are Big Fans, or in some cases *were* big fans and now are pretty damn casual even about things we like.

I'm a huge wrestling enthusiast, but you're well above me. You have a larger collection, have been watching longer, and know more stuff than I do.

My dad has been watching baseball longer than I have, has gone to more games, was a Dodgers season ticket co-holder for about 15 years, played it at a far higher level than I ever did... but when I was at the peak of my baseball fandom (80s through 90s) he'd admit that I was a bigger fan than he was. Probably would admit that even as a kid I was a bigger fan. He'd say it wasn't even close, either.

There is no easy formula to determine bigger fan.

Look at some of your posts for example - on CMax you and Ginnetty are discussing footage in complete/incomplete form, which is beyond the scope of my fandom.

It's actually really narrow: All Japan TV in the 80s and 90s, more than half of years was stuff that I watched at the time. My contribution is really very little on that early 80s AJPW stuff other than curiousity of what aired, what's available, what might be missing, and whether there are any avenues to collect it.

Dylan (and Jerome?) watched everything that ECW ever kicked out. *That* is beyond the scope of my fandom. :) I look at Alan 4L's list of 2010 matches that he rated ****+, and it's laughable to think I'll ever again remotely be at that level of caring about wrestling, let alone watching all of those. There are people sifting through all of the WAR and SWS matches available... and god bless them for their efforts. Me? I haven't even popped in a disk from a set on my favorite wrestler of all-time that a friend got me for Christmas. I will eventually, but there's no clearer sign of my "enthusiasm" than that: my Kawada set is sitting on the corner of my desk, I see it every night, and instead I'm currently watching Cracker dvds, getting caught up on the first two seasons of The Mentalist, finishing off this season of Top Chef so I have space for Masters that just started up, am eyeballing those Justified episodes on the bedroom dvr knowing that I have to watch the Season 1 dvd first while trying to resist the temption to pop back in the Firefly disks I finished recently that were so much fun...

I'm not even a wrestling enthusiast anymore.

This thread is about how we define ourselves? I said what it was: I'm a wrestling fan. Want more? A big one, bigger in the past than now. Currently a rather lazy, unethused one who finds it easier to watch probably 50 things *other than* wrestling. It's a bad sign when I'd rather watch a UNC vs UK game... the two college hoops programs I hate the most. :)

You routinely post Machiavellian-esque lists of matches.

Not much anymore.

You may not think you are a super-fan, but I would believe the contrary. Since you used a number scale, I'd be like a 70-75ish, whereas you're closer to 90ish, and someone like Lynch would be at 100.

Not even close.

Haven't you flown to Japan to watch wrestling?

In 1995 and 1996.

I did a shitload of drugs and booze in college. It was 1984-1987, and even earlier in high school. I haven't had anything to drink since the end of 1987, and no drugs since then other than painkillers after surgery.

I'm not the drunk dopehead I was in college. I'm not the fan I was in 1995-96.

The irony is that I think everyone knows the second part of that. It's well known that I'm not especially relevant anymore, and don't attempt or try to be. :)

Just a wrestling fan. Someone who has watched more 80s WWF in the past four years than All Japan is little more than "just a fan". A big one in one sense: I still like to talk about it a bit, and collect stuff that I don't always watch. But not terribly enthusiastic, and rather narrow. Which again... I think *everyone* knows. It's not the late 90s anymore, and we all are well aware of that. :)

John

#46 jdw

jdw
  • Members
  • 8040 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:55 PM

Yeah... I really need to pull those DVDs off the shelf and start watching them. :)

John

#47 jdw

jdw
  • Members
  • 8040 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:05 PM

To be honest, I'm not terribly interested in finding out. I don't need a label to define me other than "wrestling fan", "really, really big wrestling fan", or possibly "freak".

Bingo.

The labeling just doesn't strike me as very useful. As I said in my first post: it's usually just a bunch of bullshit, and has always been going back when Scherer & Co. were trying to play Us ("We're real wrestling fans") vs Them ("Those folks think too much").

There are things of much more value:

"Will is a big wrestling fan."

"Will is a helluva collector and great at making sets."

"Will is a helluva a nice guy."

"Ditch is a big wrestling fan."

"Ditch is a big puroresu fan."

"Ditch does a great job making matches available to folks."

There's some useful stuff in there, but it the"wrestling fan" part is really just a small thing in there.

"Ditch and Will are smarks."

WTF? What value is that. It tells us nothing beyond what we already know: they're big wrestling fans.

"Phil is a Fujiwara Fan."

Okay... that tells us one wrestler that Phil likes. It tells is what beyond that? It doesn't even tell us why Phil likes about Fujiwara. We'd need to go beyond the label to actually reading what he's said about Fujiwara to find that out.

Labels along these lines are just a bunch of bullshit.

John

#48 S.L.L.

S.L.L.

Grapz Opinionz 4 Y00z From J00z

• DVDVR 80s Project
  • 2217 posts
  • Interests:The Good and The Beautiful

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:05 PM

I understand that term to mean someone who enjoys mainstream wrestling. If "smarks" like ROH and PWG (and maybe Japan, as long as it's full of headdropping and high flying), then antismarks trumpet the talent of Mark Henry or appreciate a silly angle.

That's a big part of it, but there's also a common acknowledgement that "antismarks" also like a lot of non-mainstream stuff, but they often like the "wrong" non-mainstream stuff. Liking FUTEN instead of Dragon's Gate, for example, suggests "antismarkdom". Liking lucha libre at all is grounds for the claim to a certain extent, but if it isn't, liking Black Terry and Negro Navarro more than Mistico or La Sombra is. And there are mainstream wrestlers that are "right" to like. Angle still is, I think. Michaels was up until his retirement. Call that into question...well, you get the idea.

It's a derogatory term. And stupid.

Exactly.

#49 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11324 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:14 PM

I'm a Futbol fan. ManU has been my team since 1992/93, but I watch more than just ManU games.

Don't want to come across like a dick here, I mean I'm a Brit who loves American wrestling, but I've always been slightly amused by the notion of American "soccer" fans.

So I just want to test your credentials real quick here John. If you're as big a Man U fan as you say you are, who was United's and England's right-back before Gary Neville? I'd want you to answer that almost instantly.

Almost like who did Rick Rude beat for the IC title at WM5, y'know? That should be instant knowledge for anyone who has followed the game since 1992, not least a Man U fan.

I'm a massive football fan by the way - and get this - I've never had a team. I don't support anyone which is admittedly highly unusual but I have my reasons. And I agree with the notion that there are really two types of fans: fans who only care about their team, who tend to have a narrow fairly parochial view of the game, and then "proper" fans. The sort of fan who'd be excited to watch, I dunno, say Milan vs. Barcelona in a random Champions League game. Often the latter type will have a team they follow, but do not try to transmute any and all footy chat to that team.

EDIT: Incidentally, my football fandom is in a bit of a slump at the minute. Probably parallel with jdw's wrestling fandom slump. Once upon I time I could name the first XI of pretty much any team across Europe, now I'd probably struggle with anyone outside the top 4 of the Premiership, La Liga and Serie A.

#50 jdw

jdw
  • Members
  • 8040 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:20 PM

Don't want to come across like a dick here, I mean I'm a Brit who loves American wrestling, but I've always been slightly amused by the notion of American "soccer" fans.

So I just want to test your credentials real quick here John. If you're as big a Man U fan as you say you are, who was United's and England's right-back before Gary Neville? I'd want you to answer that almost instantly.

When I started watching in the 1992/93 season it was Parker on the right with Irwin on the left with Bruce & Pallister in the middle.

John

#51 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11324 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:21 PM

Passed with flying colours :)

#52 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11324 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:35 PM

I should probably qualify what I said about Americans liking football. I meant no disrespect by it. It's just that whenever we hear Americans talking about "soccer", they apply terminology from American sports. "Offence" and "DEEEfence", things like that. "That was a real nice kick!" I dunno, they just say things you'd never ever hear said here. The language of football in Britain is very idiomatic. Pretty much any interview from any manager reveals this instantly:

That's just the first one that came up. So hearing it spoken about with a different set of terms with an American accent is always very comical.

Likewise, it's always really strange to hear a British person in Wrestling - Davey Boy or Regal. Especially Regal, because he's booked as an aristocrat but blatantly speaks with a Midlands accent rather than a posh one.

#53 jdw

jdw
  • Members
  • 8040 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:38 PM

The 70s were the wave of soccer play growth in the US among, and I was in that wave. Took it up at 8 (1974) and played it through the high school team (1984).

We got a Division 1 game each week on local PBS (KCET). Part of my dad teaching me baseball and football and basketball was by watching it: the pros, or good college (USC football / UCLA basketball). You learn by watching how good players do things. So when I took up soccer and KCET started carrying Division 1 games, he'd have me watch them. So I saw games during Pools glory days.

Stopped with Heysel, which was a good break: was in college, wasn't playing anymore, booze & dope & babes were better uses of my time, and Heysel was extremely depressing to a pretty depressive kid.

Got back in while going through with insomnia in the early 90s. EPL was on local cable, often as late nigh filler. Couldn't bring myself to be a fan of Pool with Heysel still in my memory. The story of the season was ManU's quest for the first championship since the late 60s. Eric came over from Leeds and was the coolest motherfucker on the planet. Pulled me in. Then they sustained it, then the generation of kids game in to watch develop... they were a fab team to watch get shaped.

I'm a massive football fan by the way - and get this - I've never had a team. I don't support anyone which is admittedly highly unusual but I have my reasons. And I agree with the notion that there are really two types of fans: fans who only care about their team, who tend to have a narrow fairly parochial view of the game, and then "proper" fans. The sort of fan who'd be excited to watch, I dunno, say Milan vs. Barcelona in a random Champions League game. Often the latter type will have a team they follow, but do not try to transmute any and all footy chat to that team.

I don't know if I'd go so narrow. I do know a lot of "team fans" who will watch some of the games of their rival just to root for them to lose. There are a lot of Duke Haters out there who watch Duke games. :)

I have had stretches where I'm really narrow because it's all that I have time for, and times in the 90s when I watched a ton of Serie A as well. There was less EPL on TV back them, so it was probably easier to "follow" both leagues: 1-2 EPL games, 1 Serie A game, the assorted CL / CWC / UEFA Cup games of interest, and a highlight show or two. Now... there's a hell of a lot of futbol on the air. I tend to follow the top of the EPL... don't have a lot of time to track what the news of Blackpool is... have no time to worry about Serie. If I get GolTV next year, about as much La Liga as I'll follow is Barca. Just don't have the time to add Barca + Real to my viewing schedule. :)

EDIT: Incidentally, my football fandom is in a bit of a slump at the minute. Probably parallel with jdw's wrestling fandom slump. Once upon I time I could name the first XI of pretty much any team across Europe, now I'd probably struggle with anyone outside the top 4 of the Premiership, La Liga and Serie A.

When I was a kid in the 70s, I could give the name and number for every position on every team in the NFL. Probably could have named all the position players in MLB along with the top startes as well, though not the numbers. :P Just useless information. :)

I think you get some of that today with Fantasy Players, especially in baseball where you need to know everyone as a potential member of "your" team.

Might also get some of that from gamers, such as people who play Championship Manager / Football Manager. When I played that in the later 90s it really expanded the useless info I had, especially in leagues or national teams that I didn't follow. :)

John

#54 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8859 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:39 PM

Dylan (and Jerome?) watched everything that ECW ever kicked out. *That* is beyond the scope of my fandom. :)

In my case, blame unemployment. And torrent sites which make huge contents available for free. And of course an interest in revisiting, or in the case of ECW 1993-1995 and 99-00 visiting a product I wasn't familiar with in great details. But really, in the mid-00's, there was a point I wasn't watching wrestling at all. To the point of when I got to Japan in 2005, I didn't bother going to a wrestling show, and quite frankly I was totally disconnected from the scene even back then.

I'm a much bigger sumo fan at this point, although it's probably the worst and most depressing time ever to be a sumo fan at this point, but that's another story.

#55 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10173 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:48 PM

Soccer is weird in the States. I think there is a younger generation that pays a ton of attention to it now which really surprises me. I played for ten years, was a starting sweeper on multiple state champion teams. My dad and uncle coached state championship teams. All my brothers have played. We all watch it when it comes on, but none of us go out of our way to find it on tv, seek it out, et. We aren't really fans of any teams, or even players really. It's strange because it is my favorite sport to play AND watch, but also the one I am least invested in emotionally. I've got a ton of other friends who played for years and feel similarly.

#56 Victator

Victator
  • Members
  • 1326 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:04 PM

I'm at the point I judge those who don't like wrestling.

#57 jdw

jdw
  • Members
  • 8040 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:06 PM

I really think to get back in *and* stay in after playing you need a team to pull you in. I had the opportunity (not sleeping) and the entry level fandom (played and watched as a kid). But without a team to hold the attention and make you want to see what happened next, I probably would have wandered off. Great story of 1993 winning the title. 1994 was the Double. 1995 they didn't win, which meant 1996 had a comeback storyline to it (on more levels than one). The big move towards younger players as well. Came back in 1996 and 1997, by then a storyline developing on the failure to win the Champions League. Then everything of that era peaked in 1999 in a way that frankly was over-the-top. My fandom went backwards after that. You just couldn't have written a better climax to the 1993-99 storyline than that, and returning to even the "normal great" of 1993-98 was anti-climactic. I enjoyed and followed the 2000 through 2006 ManU seasons in an increasingly casual way... even the pretty decent amount of hardware the team picked up didn't have the cha-ching of prior ones. A dream season like 1999 can really screw up a fan. :) What actually pulled me back into major following was the 2006 World Cup, and then my hate of Chelsea and not wanting to see them three-peat in 2006/07. So watching the 2006/07 in the hopes that ManU could keep the Blues from three-peating was my viewing goal... and that turned out very good. Excellent time to get pulled back into being a big fan as that was a pretty fab era of ManU, and the 2008 team was pretty fab to watch (while love to have a Season Set of that club). I suspect my current level of fandom will peak again and decline. Hasn't yet, but I tend to ebb & flow over time, so it will happen. John

#58 rzombie1988

rzombie1988
  • Banned
  • 953 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:30 PM

500 discs is really nothing for people who trade regularly. I've seen about 5% of my footage at best, so there's easily a few thousand disks I've owned that I've never watched. But in my defense, I don't have the patience to sit through alot of wrestling stuff anymore. Too much going on and I'd rather talk about wrestling on the board or listen to Alvarez. It's kind of hard to judge one's fandom against another. I think alot of it depends on real life circumstances, location and wrestling tastes. Hardcore japanese fans have cracked over 130 shows a year and I'm sure mexican fans could do that even easier, while I will probaby see less than 5 this year. I think anyone posting regularly on a message board though should be considered hardcore. However, since there's not alot of wrestling fans all around, if you want to discuss wrestling, message boards are all there is. I'm definitely not as hardcore as I used to be. I really don't go to live events as they are too expensive or too far. The lowest price for WWE events is around $40 and it's not worth it, same with indy's at $20. I can download any event I want for free, so it really doesn't make sense especially when the camera's view is always better than mine. I've slowed down trading bigtime and I don't download anything that's not a shoot interview. I used to go to wrestlemania and japan every year, but wrestlemania's aren't what they used to be. I'll move to japan next year(though wrestling has little to do with it). I have few lasting interests besides wrestling/internet/women though, so I'm probably going to always stick with wrestling no matter how bad it gets. I probably fit in most with some of the people's tastes on DVDVR. I usually watch old joshi and raw but I probably spend the most time watching promo's/short videos along with random one-off's. Anything more than 10 minutes to me though is an immediate skip. I love flashy/colorful costume wrestlers, anyone that kicks and new wrestlers that I haven't been overexposed to yet. I also want to say that I would probably enjoy some of the things I don't enjoy if I was watching it in person. Everything seems to suck less live.

#59 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5724 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:33 PM

My comment about 90s workrates styles being passe specifically referred to people not watching actual 90s workrate styles like hot period AAA anymore.

#60 goodhelmet

goodhelmet
  • Admins
  • 18952 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:43 PM

John, if you don't want to be banned, retract your statement that Alvarez is above me on the wrestling scale of 100.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users