Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-06-19-WCW-Saturday Night] Flair for the Gold: Col. Robert Parker

Loss

Flair introduces Parker as a "distinguished Southren (yes) gentleman".

Flair and Parker seem like they're in other worlds from each other.

Again, wow, WCW was SOOO awful at this point. I'm glad we have it recorded in yearbook form, because it emphasizes even more how out of touch they were.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

OH GOD THE PAIN, MAKE IT STOP. Fuller, to his credit, is the first Flair for the Gold guest to utilize this time to push a program and try to make some money. A BOMB is gonna be dropped at Beach Blast, in the form of a power bomb.

This somehow is the best of the Flair for the Golds (Flairs for the Gold?) so far, even if Flair's hair was a mess, even if Flair and Parker weren't actually talking to each other, and even if the ending of this felt incredibly rushed.

• 1 year later...

This did feel very rushed and Parker and Flair felt like they were ready to be on to other things. Flair offering a challenge to Windham was a rare nice touch. I have defended Flair for the Gold but now that Ric is wrestling, it is time to retire this segment.

• 1 year later...

For the second time, this match was hyped in the wrong venue. What's wrong with Tony standing on a stage with a mic in his hand all of a sudden? I'm no cheering fan of ​AFFTG​, but if they're going to have it, at least have some interaction between Flair and his guests. He and Fuller only acknowledged each other's existence when there was no other choice, and even Arn was missing for some strange reason.

Fuller himself said nothing that he didn't say in that mini-movie from a while back, and I have to say that they picked the wrong manager for the team of Vader and Sid. Harley should be the manager since he was already managing Vader, who's World champion. Making this mostly Fuller's- and by extension, Sid's- deal doesn't elevate Sid to Vader's level; it brings Vader back to Sid's.

I'm still wondering why we needed the Col. Parker character in the first place, to be honest. I'm guessing that it was Bischoff's way of bringing ​Gone with the Wind​ (which is in the Turner movie library) into WCW, the same way Oz the wrestler was their way of bringing ​The Wizard of Oz ​in. Fuller's a much better performer than Kevin Nash will ever be, but it was still a needless tie-in. Using Carol Burnett as Starlet from her famous "Went With the Wind" sketch would have made just as much sense.

I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to seeing Dusty on ​AFFTG ​or not. If anyone can save this segment, it's the Dream, but can ​anyone save this segment?

• GSR changed the title to [1993-06-19-WCW-Saturday Night] Flair for the Gold: Col. Robert Parker