Pro Wrestling Only

General thoughts about 1992

Loss

I'm pretty much repeating everybody else, but yeah, that was a hell of a post.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you think of the Tenryu + Pals v New Japan feud in '93. It's pretty much become my favourite thing ever in wrestling after seeing it on the yearbook. Tenryu is just spectacular all the way through '93. I should also finish that yearbook (going on three years since I started it).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

After doing a relatively quick run-through (took a few months) I'm going back and watching most of the stuff that I skipped the first time through (which is a lot.) So far I have really learned to appreciate Ricky Steamboat & Rick Rude. I liked Steamboat when I was a kid, but a lot of his offense turns me off nowadays and Rude has always been too shticky for me. I like both of them a lot more now. I still have issues with them, but Rude's shtick is part of what makes him great & Steamboat is great despite his hokey-looking offense. Its fitting that they're feuding on this set because they perfectly represent how a face and and heel are supposed to work at their most basic levels and they both do a wonderful job.

• 1 month later...

Just watched Beach Blast 92' on the Network and my initial thought is, just like a great album that suffers from poor track sequence, this is a great PPV that suffers from an absolutely atrocious match order.

It was mentioned in the Rude/Steamboat and Steiners/MVC threads that the reason the tag match closes the show is because of the Steamboat/Cactus angle they run. In hindsight, couldn't they have had Rude/Steamboat in the main and then had Jack do the run-in post match? Would that have been too repetitive of similar angles where the main event winner is immediately attacked by his next challenger?

But the issue with the main event and it's "non-finish" isn't the only odd decision. Equally as puzzling, to me, is having the second last match end in a DQ that is also really just a draw (technically, Arn is DQ'd for going off the top rope, but it reads as more of a "no contest" once the ref loses control). The opening contest, while good, has a bit of a downer ending, with Pillman dropping the Light Heavyweight Title to Scotty Flamingo. Why not swap those matches?

In my mind, if you take this same show, with the same exact finishes, and flip around the order, you have an all-time great PPV. As it is now, it's not so much a roller coaster of emotions as a jerky, start-stop ride on the Scrambler.

Better match order?

- 6 Man Tag

- Simmons vs. Taylor

- Steiners vs. MVC

- Valentine vs. Bagwell

- Light Heavyweight Title Match

- Cactus vs. Sting

- Rude vs. Steamboat

• 8 months later...

As I am more than halfway through the set: I just cannot get into the Lawler/Jarrett vs. Moondogs feud as being a feud of the year candidate. They had a great month and everything afterwards is really repetitive. You could watch the segments in a completely random order and you would hardly notice it. There is no advancement after the replacement of Fuller with Jarrett at all.