Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-01-04-USWA-TV] The Moondogs vs Jeff Jarrett & Robert Fuller

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

A great wild brawl and both Moondogs are bloodied within about 60 seconds. Jarrett gets some retribution by hanging Richard Lee, but this enables a Moondog to hit the distracted Jarrett with a bone to gain the pin. Tremendous stuff and the crowd are totally into this feud.

I really like Richard Lee. He's the best of the Paul E style manager Memphis had. Some of the shots the Moondogs take are nuts. No wonder they had to change Moondogs every couple months. And I love the Fuller/Jarrett team. The 1991 Yearbook should include some of that team.

I don't know how many people have seen Richard Lee, but if they are unaware of him, this Yearbook will really open people's eyes to how great he was, especially on the mic.

Additionally, here is a piece taken from the Observer's obituary of Larry 'Moondog Spot' Booker re. Lee.

An unknown story from that period is that the original idea was to have Nate the Rat, a local cab driver, be their manager, and somebody had to do promos for the guys who didn't do much but bark, howl and caress their oversized bone. However, Richard Lee, a guy who wanted to be a country star, said he was willing to do the job for free, because he thought being on television would help his career. They liked that kind of attitude. Later, when they started turning business around, Lee wanted to start getting paid and was told that a deal is a deal. Booker ended up paying him $50 a night just to stay.

Glad to see Lee getting some love. I think he may be one of the most underrated managers ever. He was really awesome. He could be face or heel, could sing and even got in the ring. He was a huge discovery of mine when I started watching Memphis. Him and the Moondogs are just the most interesting combination.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Crazy shit with the Moondogs bumping and selling for the babyfaces surprisingly well, considering their reputation. For a crazy-ass brawl in clip form this actually seems to have some structure to it, to boot. Jarrett gets some payback for his hanging on television by hanging Richard Lee in a wild scene that gets a huge reaction from an already-hot crowd, but that allows Spot to clobber him with the bone to retain the titles.

And yes, Richard Lee is great, and is so much better in this role than Nate the Rat could possibly be.

• 2 years later...

I didn't know that Lee was literally learning on the job here. Under those circumstances, my opinion of him just went way up. He's a natural, with an understanding of the business that can't really be taught. I'm glad Latham/Booker started paying him, because he fit into this feud better than most of the guys they could have used would have, especially Nate. Nate was creepy enough, but he needed to look and sound as if he was the type to go through swamps looking for wild and crazy asskickers, and he simply didn't.

As for the brawl itself, it's almost too chaotic to comment on. Jeff shows more fire than he has since the Yearbook series started, and I loved the visual of him hanging Lee as he'd been hung himself a few weeks before. Fuller looked superb too, and it's a shame that we won't be seeing much more of him in this feud (Lawler would take his place within the next week or two). The other amazing thing is how well Spotty bumped for someone who had passed fat and out of shape and was speeding toward morbidly obese. He never looked this good in the WWF, even in his tag team title days when the gimmick was fresh, at least for him.

I guess they showed a little longer clip than they'd meant to, because we barely saw the bone shot and the pin before the commercial music came up. It was an unusually sloppy transition on the USWA's part.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Sweet clips of a big time Memphis blood feud. This helped give Jarrett some credibility as he hangs tough with the Moondog bone shots and dishes it out himself with a vengeance. I liked the announce table tipping over the guardrail to get over the out of control aspect of the match overall. RIchard Lee does well with his physical interaction too.

• 6 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1992-01-04-USWA-TV] The Moondogs vs Jeff Jarrett & Robert Fuller