Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-01-05-UWA] El Hijo del Santo vs Negro Casas

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

The picture isn't great and there's no sound, but by God, it's Santo vs Casas, arguably the best rivalry in wrestling history, so it goes on regardless. Because of the picture, it's hard to compare it to other matches, but there is some excellent action here. The full match is 45 minutes and we get about 18 minutes of footage that aired. Cool inclusion.

Guest kowking

The picture isn't great and there's no sound, but by God, it's Santo vs Casas, arguably the best rivalry in wrestling history, so it goes on regardless. Because of the picture, it's hard to compare it to other matches, but there is some excellent action here. The full match is 45 minutes and we get about 18 minutes of footage that aired. Cool inclusion.

Is there a comp?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just got the 1992 yearbook comp today, and re-watched this match today, and it's still fantastic. I first watched it a few years ago when Tim Cooke posted about it at WKO, and I was really impressed by the work. I loved the struggle of some of the holds that they worked for, really fierce and strong mat work. Estan tercos when it comes to avoiding some holds or going after holds. Very heated match, I loved it.

• 1 month later...

Sorry, I missed the word "no".

No, I wasn't into this either I'm afriad. There were some nice touches in the matwork - for example I always like it when they punch the area they are working on repeatedly - but on the whole my general criticisms of lucha-style matwork apply.

It's cool. It took me some time to get into lucha, but I eventually grew to love it. There are some mat-based matches I think you'll find amazingly easy to enjoy later on the set that might shift your perception. Lucha matwork was always something I liked, but trios matches confused me for a while. Still, it's nice that you were at least open-minded enough to watch it even though you're generally not a fan of the style. There is an Atlantis/Emilio Charles match later on the set that's basically laid out like an Arn Anderson match that I think you'll enjoy quite a bit.

Sorry, I missed the word "no".

No, I wasn't into this either I'm afriad. There were some nice touches in the matwork - for example I always like it when they punch the area they are working on repeatedly - but on the whole my general criticisms of lucha-style matwork apply.

It's cool. It took me some time to get into lucha, but I eventually grew to love it. There are some mat-based matches I think you'll find amazingly easy to enjoy later on the set that might shift your perception. Lucha matwork was always something I liked, but trios matches confused me for a while. Still, it's nice that you were at least open-minded enough to watch it even though you're generally not a fan of the style. There is an Atlantis/Emilio Charles match later on the set that's basically laid out like an Arn Anderson match that I think you'll enjoy quite a bit.

That is a real strong comparison especially with the arm work.

Yeah, I can see how someone would have reservations about lucha matwork. I like it for the creativity and smoothness. I also like the idea of title matches being wrestled clean and on the mat.

I wonder what you think about Volk Han's shoot-style matwork? You probably wouldn't consider it contrived, at least. I sometimes find it hard to follow because Han is so fast and I know very little about MMA style submissions (although I guess that's really not a pre-requisite).

• 2 weeks later...

These days the mat work based matches are pretty much my favorite kind of lucha

It looks contrived and fake, but not only that I find it deathly boring too.

So what kind of mat work style do you perfer then?

Basically as close to Bockwinkel vs. Robinson as possible - the opposite of all the fancy shit they do in Lucha. You'd never ever be able to do that to a guy who isn't working with you. The holds are ridiculous and I hate them because as a fan they bring me out of the match.

I'm saying it seems more like an exhibition than a match and I don't like that.

• 3 months later...

I'm in the same boat as Jerry when it comes to lucha matwork. I'm not really a fan of matwork for its own sake, but I can get into old-school NWA-style matwork. Lucha matwork, on the other hand, strikes me as too choreographed. The submissions in particular are so goofy and convoluted as to eradicate my suspension of disbelief. I generally enjoy brawling lucha (or more broadly, apuesta match-style lucha), but title match-style lucha does nothing for me.

Older lucha is closer to NWA style matwork, but NWA style matwork is bullshit for the most part. It's a bunch of leverage holds until it's time to hit the ropes and do a finish. Lucha matwork (when submission heavy) is far better. You need to watch the right guys on the mat, though. Casas and Santo aren't a good mat pairing. Santo was a better mat worker than Casas but you don't get strong matwork in most Santo matches unfortunately.

• 4 months later...

I'm not really into Lucha mat work myself but I'm willing to say part of that is my lack of familiarity on what they are doing at times. I think I completely skipped this match before because of the video/audio issues but gave it another try. Ended up actually really liking this match watching this time around. Had it's issues without audio as for the second fall the referee is not on camera when he counts the three. As others have said most of the match is on the mat until the end when they pull out a dive to the outside. Glad I gave it another shot. Finish was confusing though.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-01-05-UWA] El Hijo del Santo vs Negro Casas