Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-01-10-GWF] Eddie Gilbert and Barry Horowitz

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

Good to see Gilbert doing something different than the King of Philly crap. Gilbert announces that he is re-forming the First Family in Global. Gilbert asks Barry Horowitz to join him and Horowitz is ecstatic. Gilbert presents Horowitz with a Winners belt as a gift.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Gilbert calling the stable the First Family threw me off a bit, I thought he was referring to Jimmy Hart's old stable in Memphis. I always thought Gilbert's group was called Hot Stuff International.

Anyhoo, this was fun for what it was. Barry's reaction to the invite was funny, and I was half expecting Eddie to cheap shot him and bring out someone else.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Gilbert talks of all the great wrestling armies, while keeping it Texas-centered. He's reforming the greatest group of all, the First Family--and Barry Horowitz is shocked to find out that he's the first new member! Gilbert presents Horowitz with the "Winner's Belt," which looks like a piece of velcro with a button taped on the front and some glitter on it. Horowitz barely gets to say anything but his reactions and dumb confusion are good.

• 2 years later...

Nice little segment from Eddie. I thought he was going to Pearl Harbor Barry too, but that would have been painfully obvious, so I'm glad they avoided it.

I wonder if Young was coming back to Global and they were trying anything they could to build to a Young/Gilbert feud, because I don't recall any association between the two of them at any time.

Eddie reminding us that he'd managed Rick Steiner and Sting was a good way to establish credibility for himself in a place he'd never managed before. Invoking the Freebirds and Devastation was a nice touch as well, though I wonder just how proud anyone was of what the Freebirds had become by now.

Barry's disbelief and joy made the segment. I wonder how long this angle lasted, because it seems that Barry's ripe to be turned on sooner rather than later.

The Winner's belt was a nice touch, although from what little I could see it looked like something a kid may make for an art project.

• 1 year later...

Hot stuff is forming a stable and Horowitz is tickled pink to be included. I liked this a good deal and agree with Charles that watching the King of Philly was the last thing I saw Eddie do going through one of these sets and this feels much more fresh even if it is a Memphis-esque ripoff.

• 6 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1992-01-10-GWF] Eddie Gilbert and Barry Horowitz