Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-01-19-Hamada's UWF] Lightning Kid & Jerry Lynn & Dr Wagner Jr vs Dos Caras & Silver King & El Texano

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

This was a spectacular match! The best match so far. Nice blend of American, Mexican and Japanese styles. Tremendously rhythmic. Clever athleticism. Call it a spotfest with soul. Watching Wagner and Caras work sequences against each other was a pleasure because they did so many cool things that were equally funny, smart and athletically impressive. Jerry Lynn is a Chris Benoit clone at this point, which I find interesting considering the path he would later end up taking. He really does some great stuff with Los Cowboys toward the end, including a spot where he walks the middle rope to counter a double team attack. Lightning Kid shows that he might have been a star in Japan eventually had he wrestled there consistently. He's really good at the mat wrestling early on, and busts out a terrific somersault dive later in the match, even if it doesn't really get sold. Fantastic all around.

Hamada's UWF being compared to Michinoku Pro seems like a logical comparison, but it's not that simple. The lucha influence -- at least in this match -- is far, far stronger than in Michinoku Pro. And while there are some high-flying moves that look great, the wow factor here is in the pacing and the ability everyone has to think quickly on their feet more than it is the highspots themselves.

See this, see this, see this.

This was really fun. Caras and Wagner work great together and the cowboys are just so in sync as a team. My favorite part of the match though was Kid seemed to piss of Dos Caras who came in and gave him a stiff clothesline and dropkick that landed right on the chin. Good match from a underrated promotion.

• 3 weeks later...

This match was en fuego. Caras and Wagner was so fucking boss. Los Cowboys were bad ass and I get the Mexican version of the MX that Meltzer liked to label them. Lynn and Kid were the worst workers here but they still delivered. Kid took a serious ass kicking from Caras. Kid and Lynn both missed on the same corner spot. I have no idea why they didn't sell Kid's dive because that was an amazing train wreck spot. Overall, this was just great.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Might be the first entry on my rewatch list as I enjoyed this but didn't love it the way some others did. Kid looked great and like someone who naturally fit into this style. I also enjoyed the lucha spots where masks were being ripped in a camel clutch. Overall nothing wowed me though.

I'm somewhere in-between here and everyone else. A lot of the opening was good but not spectacular, and I actually thought Kid, for the first time, looked like a 20-year old rather than the PWA/Global guy who looked experienced way beyond his years. His matwork with Silver King (or was it Texano?) was quite good. Still, once the mask-ripping started this went into a fucking awesome finishing stretch. Lynn worked a long sequence with Los Cowboys where he looked awesome, doing the Kato Kung Lee ropewalk spot and climaxing with a great Lightning Kid dive onto all three guys.

• 2 years later...

This one dragged until the teams started showing more continuity toward the end. About the only spot I liked in the first ten minutes was Caras and Wagner whacking each other while they were standing on their heads. The mask ripping also spiced things up.

Waltman looked a little greener here than we've seen him before, but that led to my favorite spot of the match, where he cleans house on Texano (I think), then takes a shot at Caras, only for Caras and Silver King (I think) to doubleteam him quite effecrively. I'm not sure why we haven't seen that spot in the U.S. when a tag match has a talented but inexperienced worker, because it puts across both Waltman's talent and inexperience quite well here.

In case I see Silver King and Texano again, is there any way to definitively tell them apart?

I didn't think this was the best match so far like Loss did, but it was a vey good match that I'm glad I saw.

• 1 year later...

I enjoyed this a good deal although it was carried by the rudos. Them being complete assholes and having to result to mask ripping and other tactics really made you hate them but see how effective they are as a unit.Lynn looked really good to me and I agree with Pete that this is the shakiest Kid looked in a marquee match between 1990-now. ***3/4 (7.5)

• 6 months later...

I would agree that Kid looked like the worst of the bunch as far as consistently hitting his shit. But everyone comes off well in the end due to the sheer amount of cutting edge spots being thrown around. Not a ton of selling going on throughout, but that's not really what this match was about. Caras vs. Wagner carried this I thought. There were a noticeable amount of places where the match stalled because of a lack of communication, but it doesn't hurt this match a ton.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-01-19-Hamada's UWF] Lightning Kid & Jerry Lynn & Dr Wagner Jr vs Dos Caras & Silver King & El Texano