Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-01-21-WCW-Clash of the Champions XVIII] Music Video: Fabulous Freebirds

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

This is hysterical. Hayes and Garvin's lip synching is completely off with the song and this is cheesy as hell.

"Hell of a future, hell of a past, we do it our way, we're gonna kick your ..."

They actually found fans to catch on camera singing along!

This really needs to be seen by anyone who has never seen it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hayes and Garvin remind me here of people I grew up with who used to be the coolest mofos in the world but forgot to change with the times and ten years later are embarassing to be seen with in public. This falls in to the so bad its good category for sure.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

It didn't seem like they were making much of an attempt to lip synch to the song. When the camera got a close up on them they were attempting to sing but the moments were they are walking through the crowd their mouths were barely moving. Stunningly awful at first until you can't but laugh at how bad it is.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It didn't seem like they were making much of an attempt to lip synch to the song. When the camera got a close up on them they were attempting to sing but the moments were they are walking through the crowd their mouths were barely moving. Stunningly awful at first until you can't but laugh at how bad it is.

Hayes talked about that on one of those Legends roundtable things. Basically, they couldn't hear the music at all (good ole WCW screw-up) and Garvin had only heard the song a couple of times so he had no clue what to do.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I called the Freebirds' entrance at WrestleWar, with DDP and Big Daddy Dink, professional wrestling at its least cool. Well, that entrance was Jimi Hendrix at Monterey compared to this. The song is so awful and Hayes' soft-shoe routine so mystifying that even WWF-level production values probably couldn't save it. This doesn't even have the camp value that Rhythm & Blues did. I believe we're mercifully approaching the end of this "New Freebirds," and none too soon.

• 2 years later...

I'll make a deal with you, Michael: I'll tell you my excuse for anything you like if you'll tell me yours for writing this song. From the ass-kickers of "Freebird" and "Badstreet U.S.A." to the midcard clown act epitomized by this......whatever. Unbelievable.

This isn't quite as embarrassing as Dok Hendrix for Hayes, but it's awfully close.

Of course, WCW made things a thousand times worse with their inexcusable technical screwup, but where was Hayes saying, "Look, you dim bulbs, we can't hear the stupid song! How can we lip sync to it if we can't hear it?"

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1992-01-21-WCW-Clash of the Champions XVIII] Music Video: Fabulous Freebirds