Pro Wrestling Only

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Sherri is head over heels, saying she has found the man of her dreams -- Shawn Michaels. Paul Bearer saying "Shawn Michaels?" in his spooky voice was really funny and awkward. She explains that DiBiase said she can return to his side anytime she wants. Were we supposed to think DiBiase wanted to pass her around?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Never cared much for "in-love Sherri", always thought it didn't fit her crazy-ass character. Plus she didn't get physically involved as much anymore, which wasn't as much fun as her kicking Tenryu or outworking the Warrior from the outside. That said, she looked sexy as hell during the Shawn era.

I think they paired Sherri with Shawn to give him credibility. Sherri only associated with heels who were near the top. It was to clue us in that Shawn was going to get a push. That's how I took it at the time.

It makes the most sense to me, looking back. Shawn was a decent heel on the mic right off the bat, so a manager wouldn't have seemed necessary. Shawn said she was pretty helpful and would often do a real number on job guys who wouldn't sell for him lol.

Pairing him with a hulking bodyguard, like they did a year later, was perfect for the character however. It served two purposes, to strengthen his heel persona and put someone as green as Kevin was at the time with someone who was already as in tune with the craft of it as he was.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Sherri is as bubbly as she'll ever be, and Bearer decides it's because she must have just come from a funeral. That was LOLworthy. Sherri is in love with a man with long, blond locks, superb wrestling ability, and the body of an Adonis. That doesn't really narrow it down by itself, but it's Shawn Michaels. I had always remembered this as DiBiase "buying" Sherri a boyfriend--I guess that's sort of what happened but I remembered it being more overt with DiBiase involved.

Marty Jannetty is mentioned by name, twice. Either an editor was asleep at the switch or they already knew that they were bringing him back, because that's not WWF behavior at all.

• 2 years later...

I can't wait to actually see Shawn and Sherri in action together; this happened right after I tuned out on a weekly basis.

It's a bit weird that Teddy wasn't involved directly in this, but he wasn't nearly as important as he'd once been, so getting the rub from him wouldn't have helped Shawn as much now as it would have even two years ago.

Percy's mugging doesn't destroy the segment, but it doesn't do it any favors either. Of all the times we could have used the usual straight Okerlund ramp interview to introduce an angle, this is the time we didn't get it

I laughed at Curt when he thought Sherri might have been talking about him. Actually, he and Sherri might have been a good team if they hadn't chosen Heenan to replace Lanny in his corner instead.

Somehow, I can see Sherri beating up guys who didn't sell correctly for Shawn while still finding a way to make it look like part of the act. Let's just hope she didn't have to do it too often.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1992-02-01-WWF-Superstars] Funeral Parlor: Sensational Sherri