Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-02-01-USWA-TV] Jeff Jarrett & Jerry Lawler vs The Moondogs

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

The 1/27 MSC match just before the finish. Lawler snaps and takes out the referee with a chair and things get out of control yet again. Richard Lee is wearing a bandage mask as a result of Lawler's fireball the week before. Jarrett hits him with a bone, then gives him a piledriver. I was just about to give credit to Richard Lee for taking such a beating, but it was an imposter. The real Richard Lee comes from behind Jarrett and chokes him with something and the Moondogs win the match. Jarrett gets stretchered out. Feud. Of. The. Year.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

This is a straight-up re-do of the Jimmy Hart/Andy Kaufman mummy angle, but hey, that was 9 or 10 years ago. More crazy action with Lawler absolutely going nuts on Spike with chairshots. They tumble out of the ring to set up the impostor Lee and the real Lee's interference, as chloroform or ether or something puts Jarrett under. The Moondogs are getting ridiculous protected--it's been great so far but I hope their first loss comes off as appropriately monumental instead of their push petering out like Gilbert and Embry's did.

• 2 years later...

First of all, credit to whoever the fake Richard Lee was. He definitely wasn't big enough to be a full-time worker, so the beating he took from Jeff was extra impressive. I liked the real Lee coming out to chloroform Jeff, although Jeff being carried out was a bit much, since chloro doesn't usually equal a stretcher job or carryout. I'm growing used to all the weapons in these matches, though I still wish we'd see some stip bouts that would limit their use a bit (dog collar, cage, etc.). Maybe they'll come down the road once it's time to give the Dogs their comeuppance.

All that said, there's one thing about this match that I just could not abide: I don't care if Lawler's the king of Memphis or Pluto or Outer Slobovia, he has no business no-selling chair shots to the head from two guys who have at least seventy-five pounds on him. I know nobody's going to tell him a damn thing about it, and we'll more than likely see it again, but it really chafes me. I could actually see the Dogs no-selling Lawler or Jeff's chair shots before I could see the opposite. It just reinforces the fact that in Memphis, just like in Attitude Era WWF, no one really gets over the boss, period.

This whole feud has really bugged me, and I expected to really get into it. I can see the four of them (five if you count Lee) busting their humps in order to give Memphis something it's never really seen before in terms of violence, but there's something about it that really brings the nitpicker out in me. Maybe it's that it feels like the thing started in the middle, but that's old news by now. I know stuff like I mentioned above doesn't help, but I've seen more than enough Memphis to know that Lawler's ultimately untouchable and that's how both he and the fans like it. I guess I was expecting something with the emotional impact of Lawler/Dundee, Lawler/Bock, or even Lawler/Kerry, and this feud's not set up for that. This is just a good old-fashioned mutual bloodletting, and in that context it's pretty good. Maybe I'll feel more comfortable with it as time goes on.

• 2 years later...

Love his feud and it's only getting better. Well, except for no more amazing Robert Fuller promos. :( Have I mentioned how awesome he is at fired up babyface promos? As soon as Jarrett started in with the piledriver I knew it wasn't Lee, but it still works and I want to see them get their comeuppance more now.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-02-01-USWA-TV] Jeff Jarrett & Jerry Lawler vs The Moondogs