Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-02-01-USWA-TV] Jerry Lawler, Austin Idol and the Moondogs

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

A studio brawl involving the guys mentioned, with Robert Fuller getting involved. Just as wild and stiff as ever -- cringeworthy chairshots and firethrowing, SHAVING CREAM and Eddie Marlin almost getting smacked with a chair too!

They try to settle things over commercial, but Austin Idol comes out with a briefcase and sort of sucks in that he isn't working as snug as everyone else, but the crowd loves him.

Would have been a great match if it was an official match.

Oh, this isn't over. Idol talks about how water was put in his private jet and someone was trying to go after him. He blames the Moondogs. Well, Idol sucks and that's an extra story that takes away from this feud a little, but it's not enough to make it any less awesome.

Oh, this isn't over. Idol talks about how water was put in his private jet and someone was trying to go after him. He blames the Moondogs. Well, Idol sucks and that's an extra story that takes away from this feud a little, but it's not enough to make it any less awesome.

Whoa what? Austin Idol sucks? I gotta disagree. This was a great interview by him and it's a shame he no showed the next week. Hell even in 98 in Power pro, he was a great interview.

Who was the Flaming Star? It looked too small to be Don Bass.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

The Moondogs attack Lawler in the studio which brings out Jarrett, Fuller and eventually Austin Idol in his sunglasses and with a suitcase, which is of course one of the weapons used here.

Idol's promo afterwards talks about the dogs messing with his plane and accusing them of premeditated, attempted murder. Somehow this doesn't feel as absurd here as it would in just about any other promotion.

• 4 months later...

The Moondogs attack Lawler as he's working a squash and pound him with a chair, until Jeff Jarrett attempts to make the save. That doesn't go well, until Robert Fuller returns to turn the tide. Only temporarily, as a guy in a Grappler mask called the Flaming Star comes out and throws a fireball at Fuller! That takes him out and the beatdown continues as we go to commercial...

...only it's cut off, as Austin Idol has finally made his way to the studio! Idol is still in his flying clothes and goes nuts with his aluminum baggage, which breaks open leaving clothes and toiletries all over the ring. Spike gets his face covered with shaving cream and eventually Lee calls the dogs off. Great, great use of Idol and the TV format. Make us wait until the very end of the show to see him and play off his real-life unreliability.

Idol relates how his plane was filled with water this morning, with the intent of causing the plane to crash. This is yet another ridiculous over-the-top promo from Idol, which he's made a specialty in his cameo appearances in the '90s, but his rap and delivery are so good that I can forgive it. Idol gets so worked up that he takes out the mic and goes after Dave Brown. This is wrestling so of COURSE Idol wants to settle this in the ring rather than, you know, have Lee and the Moondogs arrested. Brown always does a convincing job of getting pissed off, but something in his reactions to Idol's conduct made me think he was legit irritated.

In one episode of TV we've had man-on-woman violence, male nudity, S&M implications, race-baiting, and something that today would probably be considered terrorism. This was the USWA segment of the year, but this show carried a sense of desperation as well.

• 2 years later...

Well, I wanted emotional involvement, and boy did I ever get it. Idol was tremendous laying out the story of how his plane was tampered with, and it's a damn shame that that's all the farther this part of the angle went, because it would have added the kind of personal issue that makes all wrestling feuds great.

I don't think Dave was expecting to be physically involved here, which may account for his being startled and/or pissed. He's been basically no-touch since his days co-hosting with Lance. and to have Idol push him around like that, planned or not, probably wasn't something he particularly liked.

The brawl itself was much more in line with what I expect from Memphis TV brawls, and things only got weird after Idol's suitcase came into play. I liked the visual of Spike's face being covered in shaving cream, and I thought for a moment that someone was going to take advantage of the situation and actually go to work on his beard with a razor.

I'll have to see the other two segments from this show that made the discs to see whether I agree with Pete or not about it smelling of desperation, but when you consider the state the USWA was in relative to the Big Two at the time, it's hard to blame them if they felt desperate. As big as the Lawler-Jeff/Dogs feud was, it couldn't touch Sting/DA for scope or Hogan/Flair for historical significance, and both of these other feuds could be seen in the Memphis area. They were struggling to hold on to third place and they knew it; if SMW had really taken off with a nationally known figure like Corny as its spokesman, the USWA would have been left behind like yesterday's roadkill. As it was, that didn't happen, but the fireball that Fuller got hit with had to be his exit out of Memphis, and he next showed up in SMW, so who really knew at the time what else they were capable of?

• 2 years later...

Yeah, I thought Dave got upset with Idol for that physical interaction as well. And why not? He'd been threatened by both Embry and the Moondogs earlier in the show. Idol's story is pretty out there, but again I think this whole show was way over the top and out there. Easily one of the craziest (and probably best) Memphis episodes in a long, long time. The brawl was classic Memphis and I loved it.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-02-01-USWA-TV] Jerry Lawler, Austin Idol and the Moondogs