Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-02-08-USWA-TV] Jerry Lawler & Jeff Jarrett and The Moondogs

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Lawler is wearing a tan blazer with glittery gold trim, with a black shirt. I can only guess who he was dating at the time that dressed him for TV. That aside, this is an outstanding Lawler promo. Just pretend Jeff Jarrett doesn't exist unless they're in the ring. The Moondogs interrupt by beating them up with garbage cans, then get them in the ring and beat them up some more. Lawler and Jarrett finally make their own save and the furniture starts flying until Big Black Dog comes out and now the Moondogs have the numbers.

A rather dapper Jarrett and Lawler come out for an interview, saying that they are going to put an end to the Moondogs and Richard Lee. They say that the dogs couldn't get the job done on their own which is why they had to get the Big Black Dog to help them out. The Dogs and Lee (sans BBD) come out and jump the King and Jarrett, and only when the faces are in control does the Big Black Dog make an appearance. To show that equal opportunities exist in Memphis, the Dogs proceed to rip the clothes off Jarrett and Lawler and beat them with chairs.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Jarrett's a little better on the stick this week, making a comparison of Richard Lee to Edwin Rommel which has to be a first in wrestling history. Lawler is still miles ahead of him, though. Lee quickly brings the Moondogs out and the brawl is on. Just as Jarrett and Lawler are making their own save, the Big Black Dog with his big black plumber's crack makes his appearance and the babyfaces are left laying. A great interview setting up a great brawl, but man, this the most torn clothing-centered booking in the history of the business.

• 2 years later...

Who's the Big Black Dog? It almost has to be a jobber that's finally getting a push, but I don't recall too many black jobbers in Memphis around this time. I wonder if the butt crack was intentional or if the pair of jeans he was wearing that day just had a mind of their own?

Jeff comparing Lee to Rommel was more clever than a wrestler usually gets, but we're right at the outside edge of the comparison meaning anything to the audience.

Nice-looking suits for Jeff and the King. Too bad they were most likely sacrificial lambs, so to speak.

Eddie Marlin needs backup if he's going to keep coming out and threatening the Dogs. I keep waiting for the day when Lee's going to sic them on him; you know it's coming before too long.

Moondog trivia: I think Albano was the only manager who didn't use a whistle to control them, at least not often. I wonder who came up with the idea; the sound of that thing is so annoying that it makes the Dogs even more hated and feared, which of course is exactly the point.

I'm guessing the partner Lawler was referring to was Fuller, but I notice that his name wasn't mentioned, so I suppose he's already gone.

We never saw a close-up of Lee, but slings and casts are pretty easy to spot even from a distance, and it didn't look like he had either one here. Details, gentlemen, details.

• 2 years later...

Lee coming out with no visible broken arm was something I noticed too. Great brawl with Big Black Dog looking like a monster. I noticed how Jeff and Dave substituted "Bad" for Black in his name and you wonder how much Dave card for all of the race baiting.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-02-08-USWA-TV] Jerry Lawler & Jeff Jarrett and The Moondogs