Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-02-15-SMW-TV] Interview: Jim Cornette

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

SMW now has a real backdrop and logo, but it's hanging a little low and you can see the black string holding it up.

Cornette talks about Pee Wee Herman's enjoyment of playing solitaire in crowded movie theaters, and starts hyping up this amazing new tag team he's bringing in.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Incorporating current events in wrestling can oftentimes be a disaster (see: Slaughter, Sergeant). But Cornette always did a great job of it, whether making references in promos or recreating events with angles. Reminders that there's a real world outside of wrestling are a good thing, when done well. Caudle's "What'll happen to me if Jesse sees this?" reactions anytime Cornette or Daryl Van Horn went over the line in a promo are always gold.

• 2 years later...

As a Brit, the references went completely over my head, but another interview paving the way for the debut of the Bodies. Cornette says that these days you don't know who to believe, and who to take at their word, but you can believe Jim Cornette. Talks about the most dynamic tag team ever who he's bringing to SMW and who will win the upcoming tag team tournament. Some funny digs at the audience too, by referring to them looking like a genetic experiment gone wrong!

• 4 months later...

This is a great little interview. Corny almost unintentionally babyfaces himself by going after Magic Johnson, Pee Wee Herman, and other fallen heroes, then promises that the people can believe in him. It's not until he calls the audience hillbillies at the very end that he sounds like the old JCP Cornette, but that's enough to bring the world back into balance.

I don't doubt that Bob's real-life job with Jesse Helms made promos like this uncomfortable for him, but he also just seems like he's trying to get Corny "back on track" without offending anyone: "Aw, Jim, why do you have to say that stuff? This is a wrestling interview." What makes him different is he does it without interrupting or yelling or telling them to get off the set, as even Dave Brown would do in Memphis. It's a part of his persona you don't see much in JCP, and I'm looking forward to seeing it here.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1992-02-15-SMW-TV] Interview: Jim Cornette