Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-02-23-UWA] Silver King & El Texano & Gran Hamada vs Negro Casas & Dr Wagner Jr & Rambo

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Sensational match! Another great UWA 6-man. There are really some creative sequences here, that if they were worked on the fly is doubly impressive. This is as good as or better than the best Michinoku Pro matches because of the comedy mixed in with the great pacing and highspots. Casas staggering over to tag in the wrong corner and getting slugged was fantastic, but this match is filled with spots like that and it would take too long to list them all, and it would also take some of the joy out of watching this. One of the best matches I've ever seen and possibly the MOTY. We'll see.

• 4 weeks later...

When I saw Loss gave this 5 * I was no way is Rambo in a match that good. I was thinking of the guy who worked Europe. It was a much better Rambo here. This is a great match. I don't like it as much as Loss but do agree it is a MOTY contender. I loved all of the creative spots just that this match has in spades. Watching this stuff has me dieing to see the 80's Lucha set. I have been blown away so far by Dos Caras, Los Cowboys, and Negro Casas.

• 6 months later...

Watched this today with Hoback. This is one of the more insanely fun matches we've watched in a long while.

I wouldn't call it a "usual" MOTYC or probably rate it as high as Loss had it on his list, because it's generally not what we think of as a MOTYC. It's fun, it's goofy, it's spotty... it doesn't really grab you in the emotional way that a MOTYC usually does... instead taking you on a fun, trippy ride of coolness. It feels almost like it would be an off the charts semifinal or third from the top match below something not remotely as entertaining, but much more "serious".

Don't know if any of that makes sense, and probably comes across as not complimenting it... but it's a match that's hard to peg other than "FUN". :)

I suspect that if a lot of people watched it after reading this thread (or ones similar to it), they'll be for a good chunk of the first fall thinking:

"What bong are these guys pulling loads from to think this is something great?!?!"

Because the first fall is pretty removed from making you think you're watching a great match. Heck, I don't even know if it's good. Just kind of there, eventually getting the Heel Fall out of the way. And if you read through this thread, there really isn't a warning that the first fall is pretty pedestrian... to be generious...

Then business picks up, with all sorts of things big and small. The finishes of the two falls are among the most creative, enjoyable, "hit the rewind to check out again" that you'll ever find. But before they even get there, they toss out loads of fun things.

Highly recommended.

John

• 5 months later...

Hadn't read the comments when watched this. Thought it got off to a great start with the action before the bell even rang. For a while I was thinking the previous six man from 2/16 was better but it really picked up for me midway through the second fall. The finish to the second fall had me wondering what the heck just happened there but seeing what they did on the replay had me thinking that was such a great and unique finish. Being a Lucha novice it was really cool to see so many unique spots. Not the best match of 92 so far but one of the most fun.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I had a tough time figuring out when the first fall here ended. Wasn't too concerned as everything was great. I'm not sure this is the best way to describe it, but Casas simply moves and carries himself like someone who was born to play the role of professional wrestler. Everything he does looks completely instinctual and natural. Great stretch run after we had the fun comedy bit in the rudo corner.

****1/4

• 4 months later...

Just an unbelievable match. Negro Casas really stands out as he runs the ropes and takes bumps with such an incredible velocity, he makes every move he takes look like Hansen's Lariat. And that's exacerbated with Los Cowboys who bring such unusually stiff offense for the style. Rambo isn't in as much but works sort of a monster heel style and does some great tree-falling-in-the-woods bumps. The finish to the segunda caida sounds absolutely absurd when it's described--the technicos get Casas to perform a huracanrana on Rambo and they hold it for a pin, then roll Rambo into a sunset flip and hold it for another pin to finish the fall. And yet it works, perfectly. It's one of the greatest finishes I've ever seen and it's something CHIKARA should try to rip off if they haven't already, though I doubt it would look 1/15 as smooth as these guys do it. The third fall has a "past midnight" feel to it as there's a big 6-man clusterfuck that looks like the real finish, but they keep going until Hamada gets an impactante on Casas, and Rambo and Los Cowboys pin both guys while they're still in the hold, resulting in a draw. Another awesome finish--shades of the Rock 'n Rolls vs. Guerreros on Mid-South TV that's one of my favorite finishes ever--but only the second-best of the match. No problems at all putting this in MOTY contention.

The WWF is sort of spinning its wheels as it resets its WrestleMania plans, but every other promotion on the planet is on fire. Without having seen the rest of the decade this has to be one of the greatest months of any Yearbook.

• 5 months later...

I had a difficult time with the camera work. The constant changing of angles would really throw me off, guys in the corner would suddenly switch to the other side of the ring. There were pinfalls where you can't see the ref. I still have no idea how the first fall ended. I don't know if this is common in lucha but it was driving me crazy.

There was a lot of fun stuff here, Rambo especially. I quite enjoyed him nearly pinning himself after getting punched in the face and the spot where he grabbed Casas' hair to keep from flying over the ropes was awesome. Casas getting pissed and temporarily switching sides was great and the match really picked up after that. Double pin finish (I think?), not a memorable match for me really.

• 2 months later...

Of all the Los Cowboys trios matches thus far, this has been the weakest for me. I loved the first one, liked the second, and was kind of indifferent to this one. Maybe my expectations were too high after seeing the praise it got, but this just seemed like a big mess with a bunch of cool, complex spots.

• 8 months later...

Another match I saw differently this time around. I'd take this down a few notches, as I don't see this as a five-star match anymore. Still great though. More than the ringwork (which is excellent), the best part of this is watching Rambo get on the same plane as Negro Casas and try to outwork him. The end result is an unspoken competition between teammates to see who can outwork who, and I'd call that a stalemate if I was being generous. I think Rambo outshined a very motivated Casas, which in 1992 didn't happen very often. The physical comedy, great pacing (fast without being forced), unique double and triple team spots and the terrific flying from Los Cowboys are the best qualities of this match. The finishing stretch contained a boatload of great spots, false finishes, comic touches and crowd interaction, to the point that I think it swept me away before. The match as a whole is a pretty great and rewarding watch, but not at the level I thought initially.

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

This was unintelligible for me. I just now realized when reading Pete's comments that I saw the finish totally wrong (I thought Los Cowboys and Hamada had won), and that takes an already confusing match into the garbage pile. Too much flying, too many spots where I couldn't tell what was what and who was who, and I couldn't even tell Los Cowboys apart again. This is what I call a "Flair-Dusty" match, in that I wished Flair and Dusty would come down with Tony and David in tow for English commentary and take over to give me something I could relate to. I don't think I'll ever understand lucha trios, and I've watched countless matches in that style. It's just too different from what I know and consider to be entertaining.

Is it my imagination or did one of the refs count a nearfall on Rambo when nobody was pinning him?

• 2 years later...

I liked this a lot and feel like fun is the right way to describe it. Good fast start that slows down when the rudos take control. Second caida picks up and the finish is all kinds of creative and great. Third caida things really pick up with Casas and los Cowboys absolutely ripping it up with fast, great sequences. Rambo pulls out some great stooging spots including laying down for a nearfall with nobody on top of him. One of my favorite lucha trios matches so far for sheer entertainment value and action.

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1992-02-23-UWA] Silver King & El Texano & Gran Hamada vs Negro Casas & Dr Wagner Jr & Rambo