Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-03-07-WCW-Saturday Night] WCW Magazine

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

They show the SuperBrawl II press conference that happened after the show went off the air. They don't show the Dangerous Alliance crashing the party ... yet. But they also show highlights of Liger/Pillman. Bischoff says Kip Frey has traveled to Japan to negotiate some incoming stars, which for some reason irks DDP, who is starting to pursue a career as a wrestler.

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Bischoff is in the control center, with highlights from Superbrawl II, including Sting's less than stellar post-show promo and Liger vs. Pillman. For some reason we've got DDP setting up the debut of Gordy & Williams. I definitely didn't recall talk about them this early as I don't believe they'd come in until June.

• 4 months later...

Fairly realistic-looking post-match press conference setting, with Sting discussing the pre-match vibe in a low-key, down-to-earth manner.

Fascinating that Frey was one the one spearheading the signing of Gordy & Doc. Yeah, that seems like it would have had Watts' fingerprints all over it.

Bischoff discusses the potential arrival of the MVC in a rather bizarre manner right before interviewing DDP. That was fairly contrived. "They're not gonna come--NOT!" Yep, it's 1992.

• 6 months later...

Bischoff is treating this like he is doing a report for 60 Minutes or something.

The Liger/Pillman clip was strange. The action that aired was a crucifix into a pin attempt, they could have shown 10-15 other things that were more exciting. It also seemed to cut out some of Ventura's commentary, why that was the clip that was shown is a mystery.

I liked DDP here.

• 1 year later...

It almost seems like DDP was supposed to manage or be affiliated in some way with Doc and Bamm Bamm, at least at this time. Why else would he be so confident that they were coming?

I liked Jesse playing the low-key interviewer while he talked to Sting. The pre-match gaga that Sting didn't want to talk about may have been something like this:

Luger: "Hey, Steve, did you order those fifty extra dumbbells we need down at the gym?"

Sting: "Took care of it before I flew here, brother."

Luger: "Good deal, man. Say, you sure you don't wanna come with me? Vince would flip over you."

Sting: "Nope. I wanna be champ for a while without Flair breathin' down my neck. You ready for your butt-whippin'?"

Luger: "I guess so. Hey, watch the pecs, okay? Vince doesn't want 'em covered in welts."

Sting: "You got it. Let's go!"

I think Bischoff's actually trying to channel Sean Mooney here, and I can't decide if that's good or bad.

If they wanted to show a clip from Pillman/Liger, why not show the finish? Why a random crucifix that most likely (I haven't seen the full match yet) led to nothing? I liked Jesse's quip about Liger looking like the Predator, and I can't quite figure out if JR deliberately no-sold it (with accompanying "Will you let me call this sporting event, please?" stare) or whether the action prevented him from responding.

I can't wait to see the DA crashing Sting's press conference. It sounds like a super-hot angle.

Nice teaser for the next edition the following night. I'm guessing that Barry's obsession was sending Zbyszko to the hospital.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-03-07-WCW-Saturday Night] WCW Magazine
  • 1 year later...

I was wondering why DDP had to talk about MVC. Either way, they are coming..or not..or...wait, what?  These magazine shows kind of drive me nuts a little when it's Bischoff.  Gene can carry them and make them seem semi-interesting.  Bischoff not so much.