[1992-03-14-WWF-Superstars] Interview: Jake Roberts

Loss

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Odd setting for an interview with Gene. Well, it's not odd at all, it's a standard studio backdrop--that's what makes it so odd for the WWF. Follow me?

Jake hits the same notes as the live interview the previous week. Only Jake could talk about gold medaling in seal-clubbing and sound like a dangerous psychopath instead of a moustache-twirling cartoon character.

"You say you know Satan so well, then you won't mind BURNING IN HELL." Jake just gets heavier and heavier. Probably too heavy for his own good, as there's no way the WWF would have let him continue down this road from a promo standpoint.

• 6 months later...

More talk about clubbing seals! Was this a hot news topic in 1992 that I'm not aware of?

How far in advance did Jake know he was leaving? I've been wondering how much of him pushing the line in these promos was because he was on the way out and a little more willing to say things that he otherwise might not have.

• 1 year later...

A lot of the same stuff as in the previous promo, but Jake sounded a little more focused here. We didn't get a rehash of "Snakespeare", but there was a great line about how hitting Taker with the chair felt "almost" as good as punching Liz. That's the kind of line that makes Jake Jake.

I don't think a Bret/Jake program would have worked too well; Bret was simply too earnest on the mic to keep up with Jake, and Jake wasn't nearly the in-ring worker Bret was. Maybe Jake could have aligned himself with Papa Shango in a bid to take down the returning Warrior instead, along with the odd title match against Savage to break up the Flair series.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-03-14-WWF-Superstars] Interview: Jake Roberts
  • 1 year later...

This seemed like a different take on the earlier promo.  Better by a little, but nothing too new here.  Jake is incredible as always, just had watched the other one a few minutes prior.  Must have been for different parts of the country than the other.