Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-03-21-WWF-Superstars] Update: The Naitch and Elizabeth?

Loss

• 1 month later...

Gene Okerlund interviews Ric Flair on his yacht. FLAIR IS WEARING JEANS, FLAIR IS WEARING JEANS! I genuinely like his sweater, although it's a bit baby shower-ish. I laugh when Flair shows a picture of him and Liz with a horse, saying she's with her two favorite studs. Flair is great here.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Flair has been showing SCANDALOUS photos of him and Liz. This wardrobe is so unbecoming of Flair that it's almost sacrilegious. Flair may have been booked rather well for someone who wasn't a Vince creation, but it's easy to see how he tore down Flair in other ways. I loved that "two favorite studs" line.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Maybe I'm just being nostalgic but I really miss the pre-taped hype segments like this. I watched a lot of these things getting excited for PPVs I wouldn't be able to watch until they hit the video store. Flair was great, dressed amazing. Gene looked hilarious with his suit and microphone on the boat.

• 1 year later...

Yet another tremendous Flair promo, and the first one where he gets a little worked up toward the end. He's still not in total maniac mode, and that's a relief after seeing him do nothing but scream his fool head off for the last five years or so. Curt is great doing very little, but I'd have liked to see Heenan here. I get that he didn't want to be near ringside for fear of an accident with his bad neck, but he should have been included in sitdown interviews like this.

The "two favorite studs" line is a Flair classic. If it had been said at 6:05 on a random Saturday night on TBS, it would have been regarded as one of his all-time best lines without question.

Gene in full suit and tie aboard a luxury yacht is hilariously typical of him. Always one for getting down to business, huh? His presence in a suit makes up for Flair not having one. I can't believe there are people out there discounting this run because he's not wearing a suit and screaming the same old stuff in the same old studio and being made to look like the same old fool by the same old challengers. Don't worry, guys, Flair/Sting Part 780 with good ol' Tony on good ol' TBS will be up in less than a year.

We get a replay of the "Untrue!" promo, and it's hilarious how Gene kept twisting the knife until Savage went off. Heenan and Jesse have been right all these years about him being a disturber. I'd still like to see a bit more in the promo department from Randy, though. He's one of the few people who can match Flair verbally, but he's not getting the chance, and it's hard to figure out why.

This may be the most "Flair-like" angle devised since he started on TBS in '85, and, shockingly, it took Vince to come up with it. Talk about ironic!

• GSR changed the title to [1992-03-21-WWF-Superstars] Update: The Naitch and Elizabeth?
  • 1 month later...