Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-03-28-USWA-TV] Jerry Lawler & Jeff Jarrett vs The Moondogs

Loss

• 1 month later...

MSC highlights. Another awesome brawl and in a nice touch, some of the brawlers the Moondogs have destroyed are surrounding the ring with chairs as lumberjacks. Richard Lee blindsides everyone in sight with powder, which is a wild sight on its own. Jimmy Valiant has seen enough and runs in and just DOUSES him with powder. Fantastic.

The highlights of the Moondogs vs Jerry Lawler & Jeff Jarrett with jobbers as lumberjacks match was tremendous. The jobbers got in some retribution against the Dogs, but in the end they all took more full force chair shots. Richard Lee interfered freely and was using powder on the faces, the officials and the jobbers, with Jimmy Valiant eventually coming out to even up the sides.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I loved the job squad being the lumberjacks. The interview with them the previous Saturday was rather funny. T.D. Steele screams into the microphone, nearly killing the sound guy, and says "B'lee dat" in possibly wrestling first utterence of that one. Tim Wilson has a horrible speech impediment and says (I think) that he couldnt get out of bed for a week and missed work. Ricky Hayes is every young Volunteer Fireman I ever knew from that era. He was also so proud of that mustache.

I heard a rumor that Buddy Wayne would invite outlaw wrestlers in the area in, claiming a tryout, and then feed them to the Moondogs to get beaten senseless? Some of those guys only showed up once, which led credence to that. I hope a couple times that was true, especially to the guys who didnt even wear boots. One guy was clearly wearing Asics amatuer shoes and one chubbo had white tennis shoes with white legwarmers, to simulate the appearance of boots.

• 2 months later...

Crazy setting with jobbers that the Moondogs have brutalized acting as lumberjacks. They're armed with chairs and get a few licks in, but otherwise fare about as well as they did on television. The fight is another awesome one, with about the only criticism being that Richard Lee is probably pushed too hard as being able to stand up to Lawler and Jarrett on his own. I did like him going nuts with the powder, though. He blinds Lawler, Jarrett, both referees, and the surviving lumberjacks before Jimmy Valiant runs in to pour the rest of the bag on his head and take out the Moondogs with it.

• 1 year later...

Lumberjacks in street clothes and holding chairs makes a lot of sense. Why show up for this gig in your gear? I like it...they end up getting taken out and/or run off by the crazy Moondogs pretty quickly. Another wild brawl between these four with weapons and blood and general insanity. Richard Lee just goes crazy with the powder, throwing it at Jarrett, Lawler, referees, and even a lumberjack. I was waiting for him to go after some fans with it. Abrupt ending after Lawler hits a piledriver on a Moondog.

• 1 year later...

This was a disgrace, and I'm not exaggerating. The Moondogs beat the hell out of not only Lawler and Jeff, but the lumberjacks and the referees as well. Who's left to stop them now, Lawler's late rally notwithstanding? To make matters worse, Lee interferes so liberally that he's actually a participant; the only one immune from his magic powder is Jimmy Valiant, of all people.

What's the sense of having lumberjacks if the Dogs can beat them up with impunity? Why was Lee basically allowed to wrestle alongside the Dogs? There are no logical answers to these questions, and that's the problem with this feud. It's just been craziness with no reason behind it since day one, and it's taken both Lawler and Jeff out of the Unified title chase and reduced that belt to an insignificant prop, in the storyline as well as real life. Good action or not, I'm ready for this to end one way or the other. The problem is, we're nowhere near the end, from what I can tell. What can possibly happen next?

EDITED TO ADD: I didn't know that the lumberjacks were jobbers until I read this thread. Okay, so getting beaten up and run off was just what they did, to quote the Geico commercial. That still doesn't excuse Lee going nuts with the powder and making this a handicap match.

• 2 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1992-03-28-USWA-TV] Jerry Lawler & Jeff Jarrett vs The Moondogs
  • 3 months later...

I thought this was a great brawl.  The out-for-revenge-jobbers at ringside was a really nice twist on the lumberjack theme.  I do question the need to put over the Moondogs this strong continually.  The babyfaces need a bit more left after the match to keep things hot going forward.