Pro Wrestling Only

• 1 year later...

I'll probably always love this on some level. At least one of their matches in WCW is probably better (the '95 Great American Bash?), but this one has the nostalgia factor as I remember taping this as a kid and writing "Hoosier Dome" on the label because I guess I thought that was the name of the event or something and kids are stupid. Savage is great in a hate feud because he'll often just grab someone by the face and try to yank their nose off. He did that several times to both Flair and Perfect. His bump over the ropes for Flair to take control was lunacy. He was full fucking vertical and because it came on the opposite side to the hard camera it looked like he got launched head-first into a volcano. Flair actually gets a longer run on top than I remembered and it's decent enough, but Savage selling the leg is where it's great and that doesn't come until later. Flair bleeds because of course he does and Heenan is apoplectic on commentary. I don't remember what did it now but Monsoon about snaps and I thought he was going to physically strike Bobby. Maybe it was when Heenan told him to take the bananas out his mouth. Great cheapshot from Perfect to set up Flair working the leg, and the leg work itself is good. I'll never tire of watching Savage try to punch a guy while hobbling around on one leg. I also like him grabbing Flair's tights at the finish because, honestly, Flair absolutely deserved it and Savage already had him dead to rights twice and Perfect saved his bacon. Savage is a man possessed after Flair puts the lips on Elizabeth and it takes all eleven of the Hebnar twins to restrain him. His post-match promo is wonderful Savage ridiculousness.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-04-05-WWF-Wrestlemania VIII] Ric Flair vs Randy Savage

Flair is now with Perfect as a manager and he finally feels like he's finally settled in the WWF. The first ten minutes of this felt like both Flair and Savage were on autopilot. Thankfully, it's Flair and Savage so even with them phoning it in, they're still better than most. Once Flair gets colour this match starts getting real good. Flair attacks Savage's leg and Savage never stops selling it. I forgotten what a sublime seller Savage was. Elizabeth comes down to the ring to support Savage. She's swarmed by officials trying to get her to go the back. Savage's lucky roll-up (with a handful of tights) nets him the title and the post-match brawl and celebration, along with the rabid crowd,  make this match feel like incredibly special. It's a damn shame they didn't carry on this feud. 

★★★★

• 2 years later...

I loved it, Ric Flair being the despicable heel he is so good at being and Randy Savage as a babyface with the crowd behind him, it can't go wrong.

It's the first really great WrestleMania main event, they go so fast in the first half of the match with Savage chasing Flair around the ring, seeing Mr Perfect pulling Randy and distracting the referee is also delightful. At one point towards the end of the match Miss Elizabeth enters the ring while Flair tries to submit Savage, the crowd goes nuts after this. At the end Randy wins the WWF World Heavyweight Title with a roll-up. Randy Savage is a fantastic seller and this match proves it.