Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-04-16-NJPW-Explosion Tour: Top of the Super Juniors] Eddy Guerrero vs Negro Casas

Loss

• 1 month later...

This is a complete handheld version, not the clipped version that aired on TV. I love the opening minutes with Casas rolling out some of the matwork I remember him using in longer form in the Dandy match later on this set. Very matwork heavy, which is nice, because it's pretty lucha-influenced. The match is still very much a NJ juniors style match, but because of the background both guys have, they're able to make it unique. Casas ends up winning with a crucifix pin. This could have been way better with more time, but it's still good.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This was a fantastic sub 10 minute match, one of the best I've seen. Its also no surprise that one of Casas' best performances in Japan comes against someone well versed in his style. Casas strikes me as the type of wrestler who if he were a chef, would likely run the single greatest Applebees or Diner in the country. He can take pretty average ingredients (time constraints, card positioning, opponent) and make something excellent out of just about anything. Put him in a first class steakhouse and he'll likely deliver there as well.

***3/4

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Just like in the Samurai match, Eddie looks good for what he is, which is a not-quite-elite worker who's in the tournament to see where he stacks up against the best in the world. Again, his inexperience and recklessness costs him, but he has Casas on the run for a decent part of the match, and instead of fooling around or trying to teach Eddie a lesson, Casas simply cradles him for the win after he misses his big splash off the top.

It's nice to have the full match here via handheld, but as with most handhelds, the cameraperson misses some of the important action on the floor, which takes away from the bout quite a bit. That's why I prefer professionally shot matches wherever I can find them.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-04-16-NJPW-Explosion Tour: Top of the Super Juniors] Eddy Guerrero vs Negro Casas
  • 1 year later...