Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-05-09-WCW-Worldwide] Interview: Paul E. Dangerously

Loss

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Jesse takes credit for Fred Couples' victory in the Masters, before Paul E. rants about K. Allan Frey's conspiracy against the Dangerous Alliance.

The matches and action have been terrific, as well as a lot of the little side angles, but the "hostile company takeover" portion has almost been forgotten until now. And yes, I can't believe that WarGames is only about two weeks away. So far we've seen one off-hand mention of it by Ross, and he didn't name any actual members of Sting's Squadron.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

The lack of Control Centers and such has been really glaring, especially compared to the wallpaper coverage for SuperBrawl. Bischoff's magazine segments are dedicated to the angles themselves ad nauseum, with only occasional PPV card rundowns. The relative lack of five on five interaction is disappointing.

Since the Sting/Rude blowoffs were house show matches and Sting moved on to his first Vader feud, then got injured by him, his status as team leader vs. the DA comes across murky at best.

• 3 months later...

Yes, we almost forgot that the whole concept of the Dangerous Alliance started as a way to get back at WCW and Turner Broadcasting for costing Heyman his color commentary job, and that's a shame. I realize that Frey isn't meant to be an on-screen character, but you'd think that they'd let Paul mention him a little more often to keep the purpose of the group in mind.

Jesse and Paul have great chemistry, and I don't mind the off-topic stuff as long as it doesn't run too long each time. Remember, this is The Bod, not super-serious Gene Okerlund or Sean Mooney.

You'd never know there was a pay-per-view just a week away by hearing this interview, and especially not one featuring War Games. I have no earthly idea why that is, but it's a pretty big shock. I wonder if they lost a lot of potential buys because of this lack of promotion; they certainly should have,

I didn't know Jesse was doing Worldwide at this time; you'd think they'd have put him on one of the TBS shows, preferably Saturday Night. One thing's for damn sure; even if he and JR couldn't get along, he'd still be better than the likes of Jason Hervey.

"Back up to you, Gary Michael Kapinski". I hope Jesse got Gary's permission to call him that!

• GSR changed the title to [1992-05-09-WCW-Worldwide] Interview: Paul E. Dangerously
  • 1 year later...

War Games is coming up?  Good thing they are hyping their PPV enough that I know.  Also, isn't the whole DA a conspiracy against WCW?  IF you were Kip Frey wouldn't you fight back against that?  I think a slightly different tack is needed on Paul's part.