Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-06-06-SMW-TV] Interview: Jim Cornette & Heavenly Bodies

Loss

• 1 month later...

Telephone interview while they show the Bodies and Cornette laying out the the Fultons. Cornette does a great heel promo about welfare and food stamps, which you'd think would make him a babyface in this part of the country, but no. Stan Lane's overly obvious toupee has to be seen to be believed.

I stopped taking the Heavenly Bodies seriously once it became painfully obvious that Stan Lane was wearing a toupee. I mean, it's probably not a great reason to not take him seriously but he looks ridiculous out there, especially once he starts wearing headgear to keep it on during matches.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Bobby Fulton delivers a voiceover promo with clips of Bodies attacking the Fultons. Even if the action wasn't anything special, Pritchard is such a great heel. Cornette gives a promo about people on welfare and food stamps. Not bad for Cornette but nothing that has me dying for the payoff.

• 2 months later...

Bobby Fulton sends in a phone promo and gets bleeped in the process, vowing revenge for tearing up Jackie Fulton's knee. Cornette, Prichard, and a giant hairpiece with Stan Lane hiding underneath it are out to respond. Cornette produces an "I WILL WORK FOR FOOD" sign for Jackie to wear once the Bodies finish taking out his knee.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

A telephone interview from Bobby Fulton (who is a really underrated talker) says that Jackie has cartilage damage and a partial ligament tear from the attack by the Heavenly Bodies, and whilst the doctors have recommended he waits longer to recuperate, they are coming back gunning for Cornette and the Bodies. Cornette then reiterates that Jackie is defying doctors orders to get back in the ring with them and then starts to wonder what will happen if they reinjure the knee and he is never able to wrestle again? He may do what these welfare cases and rednecks do and that's live off successful people like himself and the Heavenly Bodies. He goes on to say that the Fulton's are too proud for that so he has a present for them, a sign saying 'I will work for food' that they can hang around their necks when they stand on street corners as they'll no longer be able to wrestle as the Bodies will have crippled them.

I was wondering what Stanfield had done to his hair and couldn't believe that he has opted for a toupee (and probably the most ill fitting and unconvincing toupee he could find). Straight forward interview from Cornette and the Fantastics are the best faces in the company at this point. Looking forward to seeing them try and get retribution on the Bodies when Jackie returns.

• 5 months later...

Bobby Fulton may be the best face promo in the promotion right now, but he can't hold a candle to Corny. The man's in another league, and he's allowed to go further now than he ever was in JCP; somehow, I can't imagine Dusty letting him bring out an "I will work for food sign" during a promo on Rock 'n' Roll or himself and Magnum. The scary thing is, he gets better once Rock 'n 'Roll comes back and Del Ray, who's not much of a talker, replaces Lane.

I wondered why Stan looked so old all of a sudden. While nothing can prevent me from paying attention to one of Corny's promos, that piece was enough to make me seriously wonder if Stan was ill or something, I disagree about the headgear, though; I thought the "busted eardrum" story that Corny used to explain the headgear was hilarious.

Was it just me or was Bob trying not to crack a smile during parts of Corny's promo? I can't see how any announcer avoids it once the man truly gets rolling; if he didn't have such a potty mouth and could stand to live in New York or California, he could have a second career as a stand-up comedian.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-06-06-SMW-TV] Interview: Jim Cornette & Heavenly Bodies
  • 1 year later...