Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-06-20-USWA-TV] Jerry Lawler and Dennis Coraluzzo

Loss

• 1 month later...

Funny stuff. Dennis sends in a taped promo blaming Lawler for killing Andy Kaufman and also saying Lawler has two illegitimate children in New Jersey. I won't even try to spell the last name of the guy he's brought in to take out Lawler, but they'll be at Mid South Coliseum Monday night. The two end up arguing face to face and a brawl breaks out.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Lawler has Coraluzzo made out as a scumbag lawyer from NJ pretty quickly, while Coraluzzo says he's one of the best lawyers in the country. Who just happens to be working out of what looks to be his basement. Coraluzzo also says Lawler killed his friend Andy Kaufman. Stereotypical bagging on the south, but its fun. Says he's bringing Lawler's 2 illegitimate kids and a wrestler for him. This is what I want from territorial wrestling. After looking for half-price airfare to Memphis, Coraluzzo is out with some stiff with a rat tail. The set up was good but I expected a bigger payoff.

• 3 months later...

Lawler puts Coraluzzo over as a representative of Andy Kaufman's estate who first got into Lawler's life after Andy's death. Now he's after Lawler with two of his "illegitimate children" from New Jersey. Coraluzzo sends in a pre-tape, where he laments Lawler stealing the Unified World title back from Kamala, forcing him to "ship him off to New York" to an organization without as much tough talent! Ha! He's on his way to Memphis, at least if his secretary can get him some half-price airfare.

Hey, there he is! Coraluzzo is there with Mike Doggendorf, a big musclehead who takes exception to one too many Lawler insults and attacks. Until some of the other heels hit the ring and...pull Doggendorf off (???) Richard Lee is trying to help get order restored??! Well, this was an okay angle but that ending doesn't make a great deal of sense.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This was about the only way you could possibly build up a challenger that no one in Memphis had ever heard of. Coraluzzo's still green as a pea on the mic, but he does well enough, although the jokes about the smell of Memphis got old while Andy Kaufman was in his prime on Taxi. Doggendorf's just another musclehead the likes of which are tailor-made to go one-and-done with Lawler when he has nothing else going on in a given week.

I did like Coraluzzo's rationale for why Kamala left, although like the "smell of Memphis" jokes, the stuff about the WWF having inferior competition is so old its beard is dragging along on the floor. The child support stuff hits a bit too close to home considering what we know now about Lawler's sexual habits, and "Lawler killed Kaufman" is the third tired old Memphis talking point contained in this interview that can go to the scrap heap at its earliest convenience. Fargo's return next week (which I saw in the match listings) is ten thousand times more appealing to me than this.

Interesting that the heels were pulling Doggendorf off of Lawler, particularly Lee. I guess you could say that Lee doesn't want anyone else hurting Lawler but the Moondogs if you wanted to give an explanation, which Dave and Corey didn't. Nice to see Brian inadvertently saving dear old Dad as well.

One rather inane question from an eternal mark: How does Coraluzzo expect Lawler to pay child support if Doggendorf cripples him?

• GSR changed the title to [1992-06-20-USWA-TV] Jerry Lawler and Dennis Coraluzzo
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Coraluzzo looks like an absolute doofus in the video and promises to bring a wrestler with him to Memphis.  I expected that to end the segment but then he actually shows up with the mystery wrestler, Mike Doggendorf.  Doggendorf looks like a pretty basic huge, stiff guy.  He attacks Lawler and they brawl for a few minutes before it gets broken up by a bunch of guys, including what appears to be a Rent-A-Sting.  It ends with a photo of Coraluzzo posing with two guys who I can only assume to be they men he claims to be Lawler's illegitimate children.