Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-06-21-AJW-Grand Prix] Akira Hokuto & Bull Nakano vs Kyoko Inoue & Takako Inoue

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

Bull Nakano & Akira Hokuto vs Takako Inoue & Kyoko Inoue

Best I can tell this is the first time W-Inoue teamed up together not counting a 6 woman tag in 89. Soooooo remember 3 months ago when Hokuto crushed Takako like a bug in a few short minutes? "Takako's going to be a handicap" says Debbie the Wise. Story of the match is pretty much a repeat of that. Bull & Hokuto beat the dog crap out of Takako, though the english commentary we learn that Bull's talking crap to her while doing it to boot. Egging her on to put up more of a fight and not be such a loser. Kyoko on the other hand beat Hokuto the last time they met in singles and while she's never beaten Bull she has always held her own against her. Here though things don't go so well, Kyoko gets some good shots in but there's no way she can't fight off both of them alone and it proves too much as she largely gets her ass kicked here as well. "You can tell this isn't a tough match for Bull, her hairs not even messed up yet" says Fumi Saito(?), the bi lingual commentator who's always on these shows and is translating for Debbie. Takako is able to break up a few near pin falls but that's about all she's good for during the home stretch. Hokuto drops Kyoko with the NLB and she breaks that up so Hokuto gives Takako one of her own while Bull drops the leg on Kyoko and we get a double pin to complete the humiliation and destruction of W-Inoue on this fine night. They really put this over as Kyoko failing because she had such a weak partner though. So the coolest ass whoping glorified squash ever. Loved this quite a lot.

• 4 weeks later...

This match is fun for what it is, but I have to question the **** rating from Lorefice. He didn't review it, so I didn't see comments anywhere really explaining what the match was about, but this isn't really a competitive enough match to land a spot on here. I wish I could swap it out for the 1/4 Toyota/Yamada match.

This match is fun for what it is, but I have to question the **** rating from Lorefice.

Quebrada's a good guide post but as a rule when it came to joshi I think he tended to slightly overrate "golden era" stuff and highly underrate more modern (late 90's - 2000's on) things so I always keep that in mind when looking at his ratings.

but this isn't really a competitive enough match to land a spot on here

Well no but that's the fun of it. Within the context of the promotion it furthers a few running themes that were going on througout the year like Takako playing whiping girl to anyone above her level but that's not something that is really going to be apparent from just what's on the yearbook set. As a standalone match it's still really enjoyable just for the mayhem. Sure there's better things that could have been put in it's place (didn't make my top 20, not sure i'd have it top 30) but I still think it's cool that this made it on.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Love Bull and Hokuto, was really looking forward to this match, but it just wasn't the awesome I was looking for. Bull & Hokuto have some standout offense with Hokuto pulling out her cobra kai spin kicks while mixing spots with brawling. Bull rips out the lariat with Kyoko on the ropes before Hansen does it to Kobashi the following year.

***1/2

• 3 months later...

I don't know about **** but I didn't think it was far off from that. Sort of a poor woman's version of the LCO/Jungle Jack match with a similar mode of attack from the Inoues--isolate Hokuto, stay away from Bull. This isn't as successful but I appreciated the Inoues constantly making saves for each other, which made for some hot near-falls and also put over the moves--the match was clearly put across as being over if not for Takako and Kyoko saving each other's bacon a few times. I don't think either of these two matches were of much consequence in the big picture, but neither was Rude vs. Dustin and I'm glad that made the set.

Speaking of the 1/4 Toyota vs. Yamada, somebody upload that shit already.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

As with the Aja-Bison match, I was more interested in the English commentary than the bout itself. I found it very insightful into the mindset of AJW at this time; this type of wrestling is regarded as theater as well as legit sport. Not WWF-style sports entertainment, but they do keep aesthetics in mind. I liked Debble talking about Bull telling Takako, who was established early in the bout as the weak link, to toughen up and give her more of a fight. Of course it was trash talking, but they almost made it sound like a "tough love" helpful hint as well. There were also times when they openly talk about wrestlers being able to work the crowd in just those words, which you never hear even in the WWF, where some have argued that kayfabe has been dead since 1/23/84.

The match itself didn't seem like much, but I'll have to go back sometime and watch it again to confirm my opinion. Takako seemed to take an awful pounding.

I liked the line about it not being a tough match for Bull because her hair wasn't messed up. That's the kind of humor that often got shot down or no-sold on American programs at the time.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-06-21-AJW-Grand Prix] Akira Hokuto & Bull Nakano vs Kyoko Inoue & Takako Inoue
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

The go to move when outside the ring was to whip somebody into the crowd.  The lack of a guardrail resulted in scattering fans and chairs everywhere.  It was a great visual, and probably the least painful spot Takako had to endure in this match.  This poor girl just got destroyed every time she entered the ring.