Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-06-27-SMW-TV] Interview: Ron Garvin

Loss

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Play this in a minimized window and you'll swear this is Pat Patterson. And he was 47 here, not 41 as he claims--though obviously in phenomenal shape. Garvin acknowledges ruling the Smoky Mountain area at one time and is coming in to help Brian Lee against Paul Orndorff.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

A sit down interview with Brian Lee and he's got himself a partner to face the Dirty White Boy and Paul Orndorff at Summerblast '92, and it's Ron Garvin. Lee called him and asked him to help, he's just turned 41 and is in the best shape of his life. He was the 'one man gang' at one time and is 'the hands of stone' and if you think you've done something in wrestling, you haven't done anything like Ron Garvin.

Promo was so so, but it got me excited to see the tag match between the two teams, so in that case, job done. Garvin was another wrestler who I had no idea worked in SMW.

• 5 months later...

The promo wasn't much by itself, but the idea of Ronnie returning home to Knoxville most likely sold quite a few tickets. He looks really good here; not quite in the prime of his youth, but not forty-seven either.

The George Foreman reference would have been more apt if Ronnie was challenging for a title, not just providing backup for Brian Lee in a tag match. I understand the point he was trying to make, though.

I'm not sure I like the idea of Ronnie trying to make Orndorff, or all people, out to be some kind of punk rookie who's done nothing. He's headlined against Hogan and was actually supposed to be his promotion's number one heel, instead of being handed a title win over Flair because not even Dusty wanted to be the man to put him over on JCP's first pay-per-view. There are plenty of other things to get on Orndorff about other than his so-called "lack of experience".

Nice to hear Ronnie use both of his famous nicknames here. I'm guessing he couldn't use "One Man Gang" for so long because of George Gray.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-06-27-SMW-TV] Interview: Ron Garvin
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...