Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-07-04-USWA-Memphis TV] Jerry Lawler & Jeff Jarrett vs The Moondogs (Cage)

Loss

• 1 month later...

From the 6/29 MSC show. They really just show the pinfall of Jarrett and Lawler winning the USWA tag titles. The match was only five minutes long anyway, so I wish they had just shown the whole thing. Post match, the Moondogs beat up Jerry Lawler and they bump for him like he's half the age he is. He even gets in shots on Lawler and Jarrett because he's not paying attention.

They announce that Lawler and Jarrett will be defending the belts in a rematch on today's TV, which tells me they're wanting to heat this feud up again after letting it take a slight back seat for a little while. Richard Lee put up $5,000 for them to do the match today on TV instead of waiting until Monday night. I smell an angle.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Clips of Lawler/Jarrett winning tag titles with Fargo as ref. Dogs attack Fargo afterwards (being pretty careful with him) which leads to more brawling. Lawler says Lee will put up $5K for tv rematch. This was good, but its a shame how quickly this lost steam over the year without much of a big payoff.

• 4 weeks later...

The Moondogs had been tag champions continuously since winning the belts back in December. Seven months is an eternity in Memphis, so a title change in 5:24 seems anticlimactic. The pin gets a monster pop, though. The Moondogs gang up on Fargo after the decision, but are run off by Lawler and Jarrett. Anticlimax or not this was a well-done feel-good moment.

Anything goes rematch on television, thanks to $5,000 put up by Richard Lee. Lawler seems incredibly confident, which leads me to believe the belts are going back to the Dogs.

Richard Lee is out with a briefcase handcuffed to his wrist and demonstrates that he does indeed have $5,000.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Not much is shown of the match, but the pop for Jeff and Lawler finally vanquishing the Dogs was wonderful to hear.

After being attacked briefly, Jackie got to mow down the Dogs like we all knew he would. Jeff and Lawler were caught in the crossfire, and Lawler took his best bump in months. I noticed that the Dogs didn't go to work with the trash cans or anything like that, but just putting their hands on Jackie, especially when he'd just finished being a guest referee, was enough to make the point.

Jeff stuck to talking about how good the win on Monday felt, leaving the hyping of the upcoming bout to the master. This was a perfect division of labor for a team where one of the members is a top five talker in the history of wrestling and the other.......isn't.

I liked Lawler's confidence, but as I said in a previous thread, this feud's too far along for $5000 challenge matches. It's been close to eight months since the Dogs came back to Memphis, and six since Lawler replaced Robert Fuller in the feud. For a territory where hotshotting is a way of life, this is probably too long. Something needs to happen which changes the dynamics of this feud if it's going to continue, and yet another wild studio brawl isn't it.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-07-04-USWA-Memphis TV] Jerry Lawler & Jeff Jarrett vs The Moondogs (Cage)
  • 1 year later...

Not to nitpick, but Fargo didn't seem to be calling the match down the middle at all.  Either way, the Dogs are no longer champs.  Jarrett did fine in his portion of this, he gave Jerry the meat of the promo and that works just fine for me.