Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-07-04-USWA-Memphis TV] Jerry Lawler & Jeff Jarrett vs The Moondogs

Loss

• 1 month later...

Really short match, but great action. I still like this feud, but because it has stretched out so long, it's gone from being something special to just another feud. Lawler and Jarrett win and take the $5000 from Richard Lee and are also still champs.

After the commercial break, Richard Lee demands ANOTHER rematch. Eddie Marlin says no way. "You either get 'em out here, or I'm calling the police." Funny line. Lawler says here's their offer -- take it or leave it. Another match at Mid South Coliseum, but if the Moondogs lose, Eddie Marlin gets to shave Lee's hair.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Match was getting good with the weapon use but ended a bit too soon. Burrell was counting guys outside the ring in a anything goes match. Lawler throws some cash into the crowd. Looked like it could have got out of control there. I'm betting he was only throwing the one dollars bills that were in the suitcase. Lee has to put his hair on the line in the rematch. He had little choice as Moondogs were ready to hit him if he didn't.

• 9 months later...

Dogs out with chair and golf club to start. One of the dogs bite Lawler and he's bleeding. We've got Billy Joe Travis passing Lawler & Jarrett weapons. This was fun while it lasted but way too quick. Afterwards Lee demands Eddie Marlin get him a rematch and his money back. Lawler says they'll put titles on the line at MSC next week against Lee's hair.

**3/4

• 4 weeks later...

Surprisingly straightforward result--Lawler & Jarrett win again and successfully attain the $5,000. Lawler tosses money to the crowd and I'm surprised the whole audience didn't rush the ring. The Moondogs threaten the crowd with chairs in an amusing moment. Match was fun but this seems pretty decisive now that the babyfaces have taken two in a row.

Lee is incensed and demands another rematch. I'm a little distracted right now, with the Indians coughing up a 9th inning lead they absolutely couldn't afford to, and the (debunked) news of the apparent death of Disco Inferno. But this segment seems pretty overlong to set up a rather standard hair stip.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

If the feud had ended here, or at least cooled off for a while, I would have had no complaints. But since Lawler in particular has no long-term use for the tag belts, they have to get back on the Dogs someway, so the result of the MSC rematch is a foregone conclusion. That's too bad; I was waiting to see a bald-headed Richard Lee!

I liked the tease of dissension if Lee didn't agree to the match. They needed to remind the audience that the Dogs are still wild and uncontrollable unless things are going their way, and that even Lee only controls them for as long as they allow themselves to be controlled.

Nice "unscripted" moment with Lawler talking to Lee from ringside instead of the announce table, which meant that Dave's microphone could only pick up bits and pieces at first. Studio wrestling needs things like that to avoid the feeling of being too sterile.

I wasn't paying close attention to the fans' reaction, but it was nice of Lawler to throw some of the money to them, even if it was only the dollar bills.

For a second, I thought Lawler and Jeff were going to agree to the rematch and drop the belts right then and there, which would have ranked among the stupidest decisions in wrestling history under the circumstances.

Lee's completely regressed after a promising first set of interviews. His spot could be taken by anyone with a southern accent without the angle missing a beat. The search for Jimmy Hart's true replacement continues after seven and a half long years.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-07-04-USWA-Memphis TV] Jerry Lawler & Jeff Jarrett vs The Moondogs
  • 1 year later...