Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-07-25-USWA-Memphis TV] Eddie Gilbert vs Ricky Morton

Loss

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Doug had a bit trouble removing his boot and climbing the turnbuckle. Morton had to lay there waiting what felt like a minute.

I think Eddie was actually holding onto him.

The stips Morton talked about last week aren't evident here, as this is worked as a normal match. Doug Gilbert makes a surprise return and Eddie is once again Unified World champion, and presumably it's off to Smoky Mountain for Ricky.

• 2 years later...

I'll say this for Lauren; she can take a bump. That's twice now that they've worked the "wrestler gets pushed/knocked into female manager" routine with her and Eddie, and people don't take that bump more than once unless they can do it well.

This is the first time I can think of that a ref ever took a bump courtesy of someone flying over the top rope to the outside like Neighbors did here. Score one for innovation!

Doug's interference took far too long. They should have had him at ringside before the finish somehow rather than force Eddie to hold on to Ricky so the spot could work right.

It'll be interesting to see if they line up another challenger for Eddie or if it's time for him to drop the belt back to Lawler already. My vote is for the former; I notice that Dundee's coming back, and I'd love to see him take Eddie on for a little something different.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-07-25-USWA-Memphis TV] Eddie Gilbert vs Ricky Morton
  • 2 years later...

I liked the innovative ref bump as well.  Never seen that one before.

I wondered whether we would get the "babyface won with the chain being reversed" Memphis finish, but we didn't.  I gotta wonder how many MSC main events ever had a real finish that didn't involve some sort of nonsense thing happening where the loser was absolved?  Has to be in the single digits for both the 80s and 90s.