Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-07-31-NJPW-Summer Struggle] Shinya Hashimoto & Hiroshi Hase vs Tatsumi Fujinami & Kensuke Sasaki

Loss

• 1 month later...

Good match, but a little on the long side. I like seeing Sasaki slowly mixed in with the other guys, but he's not quite ready for long matches at this level, even though he does try hard. Good to see Hashimoto in his first match in a while on here. I'm pumped for the G1.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Fujinami is still relatively hidden but he's looking better than he has in a while for the quick bursts that he's in. This is worked incredibly stiff all around, with some crazy bumps off routine moves and lots of hard hitting strikes. It's a little long considering there aren't a lot of dramatic near-falls and the story, intentional or not, of Sasaki staying in too long and not tagging when he has opportunities plays into the finish, when he gets caught in a 2-on-1 and eventually beaten down. It's going to take a lot for this year's G1 to match last year's but I'm interested in seeing what they can do.

• 2 years later...

I didn't really feel this much. It was a well-executed match, but I didn't really feel it had a purpose other than to exist, if you know what I mean. There appeared to be some problem at the end between Shinya and Fujinami, but it wasn't apparent in the body of the match. The highlight of the match was the finish, particularly the second DDT from Shinya to Sasaki, which was about as stiff as a worked move can be.

I noticed at the finish that Shinya waited an awfully long time to deliver the second DDT to Sasaki. Was there some kind of communication problem? Fujinami and Hase got into quite an exchange on the outside; maybe it wasn't supposed to go as long as it did and Shinya was unintentionally distracted by it.

I'm looking forward to the G-1 too, particularly to see how Rude fares. Even in his more serious WCW version, he seems like he's too gimmicky a wrestler to do well in Japan. Guess we'll find out soon enough!

• GSR changed the title to [1992-07-31-NJPW-Summer Struggle] Shinya Hashimoto & Hiroshi Hase vs Tatsumi Fujinami & Kensuke Sasaki
  • 2 years later...