Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-07-31-AAA] Rey Misterio Jr & Super Calo & Winners vs Heavy Metal & Mr Condor & Psicosis

Loss

• 1 month later...

Plenty of action, but AAA just doesn't hold up well at all for me. It's my least favorite major promotion to be featured on these yearbooks. That said, this is interesting to watch because these guys were definitely a new breed. They aren't as fluid as they would be by February when five of these guys were in a couple of really good trios matches, but it's interesting to see what they were doing a few months before really catching fire.

I like Rey and Psicosis, but don't really care for pretty much everyone else they worked with during these matches most of the time. And even in the case of Rey, he was great flyer pretty early, but I don't think he really put it all together and became a great wrestler for a few more years. The young guys are also outclassed when watched alongside guys like Santo, Casas, Dandy, Emilio, Atlantis, Lizmark, Pirata, Satanico, etc. There are some AAA matches I still like, but most of them end up disappointing me now. Whoever first described AAA as sports entertainment lucha libre was pretty accurate -- often times overbooked and a little more superficial than the best stuff from CMLL.

• 2 weeks later...

CMLL's main guys at the time were better than AAA's but AAA's mid card was way better than CMLL's at the time. At least in my opinion.

As for the match, probably the most disappointing of the whole set so far. I was expecting a lot, especially from Rey and Psicosis but all the guys seemed to half ass it. Best part of the match was Super Calo's entrance and dancing with the ring girl.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

I liked Rey & especially Psicosis's heel work, along with some of the comedy spots early. Also a neat triple submission during the 2nd fall. But this felt like a long, poorly structured imitation of your average Nitro match from that era. The dives are always nice but this just wasn't anything so hot.

• 1 month later...

I cared for very little of this. AAA comes across very much as how the WWF would work lucha style--lots and lots and lots and LOTS of playing to the crowd, crowd-pleasing characters and pantomime-type spots in general, heels threatening to walk to the back, etc. All standby spots of your typical WWF house show opener of the time. Misterio is barely recognizable and I keep waiting for him to do something spectacular, but nope. Well, there was that moonsault to the floor--just too bad the only guy within five feet of him was his partner. Heavy Metal does some nice moves and Winners and Calo provide a few cool dives, but overall this was a mess. Incidentally, it kind of undermines Calo's hip-hop dance gimmick when Winners is busting some moves during his intro and Calo comes across more like

• 1 year later...

I cared for very little of this. AAA comes across very much as how the WWF would work lucha style--lots and lots and lots and LOTS of playing to the crowd, crowd-pleasing characters and pantomime-type spots in general, heels threatening to walk to the back, etc. All standby spots of your typical WWF house show opener of the time.

This is such a brilliant comment. I've been watching plenty of '93 AAA over the last month and this sums up how nearly all the trios have been. They'll have occasional quick bursts of action before going back to playing to the crowd. This will repeat for a while until either an unfocused rudo beatdown, lame mask ripping or some other BS. The structure will generally fall apart in the tercera if not before. It's just so lazy and house-showy. And Winners tilts the hell out of me. Bad wrestler, horrible outfit, pathetic dancing gimmick, terrible haircut. That guy has got a hell of a lot not going for him.

• 1 year later...

This might shock you, but I didn't care for this at all. The first two falls had almost no action, and when they finally let loose a bit in the third fall, we ended up with Rey wiping out on a moonsault then almost being unmasked, and the rudos getting the deciding fall as a direct result of a low blow. Way to keep your audience happy, guys.

The only consistently good workers in this were Rey and Mr. Condor. The other four were hit and miss, mostly miss. Not only that, but Super Calo, Heavy Metal and Winners looked enough alike to make things very confusing to people like me who'd never seen them before. Pete and some others have compared AAA to the WWF, but as bad as some of the in-ring stuff has been for the WWF at times over the years, they're way too meticulous to send three guys out with basically the same look.

Hopefully the better matches that Loss talked about involving these guys made the Yearbooks, because what I saw out of everyone except Rey and Condor was unimpressive, to say the least.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-07-31-AAA] Rey Misterio Jr & Super Calo & Winners vs Heavy Metal & Mr Condor & Psicosis
  • 2 years later...

I won't be the dissenting voice here.  Too long for what it was and a lot of crowd work/stalling.  Rey eating the floor on that moonsault was brutal.  Psicosis took a nice floor bump a little earlier too.  Needed more direction during the match, everything seemed so random after caida 1.