Photo

Manami Toyota vs Toshiyo Yamada (AJW Mid Summer Typhoon 08/15/92, Hair Match)

AJW August 15 1992 Korakuen Hall Manami Toyota Toshiyo Yamada Hair Match Toyota vs Yamada 4.25*

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Zenjo

Zenjo

Lost in Time

• Members
  • 2142 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:24 PM

Amazing physical effort by Yamada after competing in the previous match. The AJW athletes were superbly trained and conditioned, with these 2 amongst the best. It probably even enchanced the match as going under 20m instead of another lengthy battle was ideal. I liked how countering moves because of familiarity was a recurrant theme. Nice build. The transition to the stretch was a little quick, needed a bit more middle. And then it was a full on 2.9 count thriller as they threw everything at one another. The finish played off their previous bout superbly. I love when they do that. Excellent match quality. The dramatic and emotional scenes postmatch are amongst the most memorable moments of the year.

#22 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5098 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:09 PM

Its not Dump/Chigusa nor is it the the tag match from earlier in the night. But its still pretty damn good. Surprisingly little heat for the predictably fast start which sees dropkicks raining everywhere. The crowd gets into things as the near falls start coming pretty early. Tons of great high spots and counters playing off their previous encounters. I normally don't go for Toyota bridging out of falls but it felt right here. The post-match was intense, emotional and just as big a part of this as anything that took place during the match. I wish I'd know a bit more about what led up to this as well as that Chiguys was Yamada's idol growing up. As great as this was, it didn't compare to the tag from earlier in the night. It deserves its own recognition, but man that match blew me away. ****

#23 PeteF3

PeteF3
  • Members
  • 9050 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:35 PM

So Yamada has to come back AGAIN and wrestle another huge match. That's kind of a crock. That notwithstanding...joshi match of the year? Without going back and reading everything else from '92 (that will come when the Yearbook is finished) I would say yes. For once the go-go-go opening makes sense. Of course Toyota's going to try to end this quick, and Yamada throws some great counters to fend off her attack. Yamada has done the best job so far of reigning Toyota in and slowing things down, so that there's more meaning to her comebacks and to the highspots. Her kick-and-submission style makes for a fine contrast with Toyota's. And we get more awesome counters at the end, enough to leave you dizzy. I guess there wasn't a "deep" story to the match itself other than counter-finisher-kickout, but when it's as well-executed as the finish was here, that's just fine. The joshi on this set has been so spread out for a noob like me that I sometimes find myself lost as to what the overarching story that's going on (Bull and Aja are PARTNERS now? WTF did I miss?) but I totally understood where Toyota was coming from in the post-match. This was a hair match more about pride and wanting to win, rather than a blood feud. Excellent bout, among the top 10-15 of the year.

#24 ...TG

...TG
  • Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 02:56 PM

Someone a lot smarter than me should write up something comparing Toyota's go-go-go style to the Movez~! matches going on in the US indies during the last 10-15 years. Seems like a lot of similarities with matches like this - fast pace, tons of near falls off big moves, etc. Or I don't know what I'm talking about. :)

#25 garretta

garretta
  • Members
  • 3565 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 07:48 AM

I liked the postmatch better than the match itself, actually. Even after reading about the setup for this, it still doesn't makes sense. Toyota's mad because Yamada had to wrestle with someone else in the joshi equivalent of Battlebowl, and eventually gets so mad that she wants to shave her own partner bald? I'm blanking on the specifics here a bit, I guess, but I don't think even knowing more about it would do much good. That's why I like good old American bullshit better than 95% of anything out of a foreign country, even if the actual wrestling may be better overseas.

Anyway, what a performance by Yamada. She gave literally everything she had in this match after getting the hell kicked out of her by Aja and Bull earlier, not to mention fighting with Hokuto back to the locker room. She knew she had limited energy, so she tried to finish this as quickly as she could, but in the end Toyota was just too fresh for her. I liked the fact that this was a clean match, although hair matches are really supposed to settle blood feuds; I'm assuming that they were still partners, and unless you're nuts like Aja and Bull, it really makes no sense to beat the hell out of someone you're going to have to trust again before too long.

I think part of what bothered Toyota (or at least what should have bothered her) was that Yamada had already wrestled one tough match that day and wasn't at her physical peak. In essence, she (Toyota) had taken advantage of someone who'd already been softened up by Aja, Bull, and Hokuto. She may have wanted to win the match to prove her point, but she wasn't crazy about Yamada losing her hair, and she definitely hated it happening under these particular circumstances. Yamada took it like a trooper, though, never complaining once (although I think I saw her tear up at one point, which is certainly understandable). It was nice to see the two of them embrace and forgive each other, and I liked seeing Toyota smile a little as she accepted her trophy and showed it to the fans. She's still champion, she's still got her best friend and tag team partner, and neither one of them was hurt seriously in this whole mess. Life might not be perfect for her right now, but it could have been a whole lot worse.

I thought the crying and trying to cut her own hair instead was a bit over the top on Toyota's part, but she'd just had a tough match against her best friend and tag team partner (which was her own dumb fault in the first place), so I can forgive her for it. What really seemed like overkill was having all of those people holding Toyota back. Two or three should have been enough, even given her hysteria at the time.

#26 ShittyLittleBoots

ShittyLittleBoots
  • Members
  • 538 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:51 AM

A match without any soul or flow. There's definitely LOTS of action packed into this one - but I failed to connect w/ the story they were trying to tell. Felt like just a bunch of movez for me. The selling also wasn't there, just a bunch of movez after movez. This wouldn't have felt out of place on a ROH show in 2011. *

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: AJW, August 15, 1992, Korakuen Hall, Manami Toyota, Toshiyo Yamada, Hair Match, Toyota vs Yamada, 4.25*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users