• 43188 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 11:00 AM

Talk about it here.

#2 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43188 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 01:58 PM

Vrij is great because in addition to being a wrestler, he's also a total showman, which is a nice change of pace in RINGS. There's a psychology present here that isn't present in other RINGS matches, and this has the feel of a big time main event. I need to see every match these two ever had. Awesome match!

#3 Tim Evans

Tim Evans
  • Members
  • 3884 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 01:08 AM

It's amazing that Han can take that much punishment and comeback. Great stuff. Did Han vs Antonio Inoki ever happen?

#4 MJH

MJH
  • Members
  • 908 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 01:08 PM

I think you're the first guy in the history of the internet to call Vrij great, Loss. I don't think these matches are particularly "good", but they work, and are fun. And, no, he never wrestled Inoki.

#5 shoe

shoe
  • Moderators
  • 8949 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:01 AM

I liked this and kinda had a "Rocky" feel to it. Vrij was good with his heeling it up and playing to the crowd. This had a ton of heat, and made the match seem special.

#6 Kevin Ridge

Kevin Ridge
  • Members
  • 4762 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:11 PM

Han's takedown to start the match was pretty sweet. He moved really fast. I enjoyed Vrij's contribution cause he was getting the crowd involved. Good atmosphere to the match. Vrij looked like he was going to pull out the victory but went to the high kick too many times and got caught.

#7 Zenjo

Zenjo

Lost in Time

• Members
  • 2108 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:15 PM

Dick-o was a powerful looking man with hard strikes. It's wierd because the action wasn't that great but the fans were reacting like it's the most awesome thing ever. Piped? The storyline was as goofy as the proverbial pet coon as Han was down 4 times before the Rocky comeback.

#8 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 4969 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:31 PM

Han is such a superstar to this crowd and he doesn't rest on his reputation, throwing all sorts of awesome spinning strikes and creative submission attempts. He's easily one of the most innovative guys you'll ever see in a ring. Vrij stays strong with a couple knockdowns but Han capitalizes on one of his own and gets the win with what looks like some kind of STF variation. ***3/4

#9 PeteF3

PeteF3
  • Members
  • 8713 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:53 PM

Vrij looks like a total badass and is charismatic, and is sort of the rich man's version of Tony Halme. But this is very broomsticky and a Han showcase, with some awesome flying takedowns and great selling even though Vrij doesn't do much more than kick and a nice escape or two. Basic heat->babyface comeback story that should be accessible to anyone, made by Han.

#10 Robert S

Robert S
  • Members
  • 584 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:15 PM

Han is such a superstar to this crowd and he doesn't rest on his reputation, throwing all sorts of awesome spinning strikes and creative submission attempts. He's easily one of the most innovative guys you'll ever see in a ring. Vrij stays strong with a couple knockdowns but Han capitalizes on one of his own and gets the win with what looks like some kind of STF variation. ***3/4

Well, it was an ST without the F.

#11 garretta

garretta
  • Members
  • 3565 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 07:55 PM

This was almost a squash for Vrij, as he knocked Han around the ring at will until the very end. It was when he tried to wrestle that Han got the advantage, and it was a hold that spelled his downfall, as Han was two-thirds of a point away from a knockout loss when he blocked a Vrij kick and turned it into an anklelock for the win as the crowd went nuts.

Vrij threw one of the best backfists I've ever seen at one point. It caught Han behind the ear, and he sold it beautifully. He was never quite in his right mind for the rest of the bout, even though he pulled out the win.

#12 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5637 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:41 AM

#426. 

This was blissfully short compared to the Misawa/Kobashi match I watched. Volk is such a beautiful wrestler to watch. Every motion he makes in this match is beautiful whether it's on offense or defense. It doesn't matter how good Vrij is, Volk is mesmerizing. I'm struggling to think of how many wrestlers I thought were on another stratosphere as though they were walking on clouds, but Volk is one of them. There are a lot of comments here suggesting Volk "pulled out the win." To me, he manipulated the situation from the get-go and the result was never in doubt. 

#13 Superstar Sleeze

Superstar Sleeze
  • Members
  • 2893 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 12:02 AM

Really, the result was never in doubt after he was blasted in the head at on three different occasions from three different angles and had four knockdowns against him. From a kayfabe standpoint, to say Han was in control just smacks of silliness.

Volk Han vs Dick Vrij - RINGS 8/21/92

Amazing drama in this shoot-style masterpiece. Vrij is a dickish headthunting heel. Han is the clean cut maestro. The match is really the high head kick of Vrij vs the legbar/heel hook of Han. Han sets the tone immediately taking Vrij down and just never letting go of the ankle. Just a great visual of Han having his prey by the ankle and Vrij desperately lunging for the ropes. That would be a seen played over and over again. We find out what Vrij's strategy is, keep it standing up and go high. There is a couple times he is able to catch coming in when he is shooting for legscissors or a takedown for legbar. The scoring seemed off as Vrij used the ropes on at least four occasions but didn't always get counted on. As the match progressed, Vrij was landing bigger and bigger shots. He was growing more and more confident. He was a great dick heel signaling to the crowd. The Han takedown attempts became more desperate as Vrij was clearly too close to the ropes for Han to do anything. Vrij hit an awesome spinning back fist and then totally rocked Han with a high kick to the head. Han had four knockdowns against him and one more knockdown would cost him the match. In a miracle, Han catches Vrij's high kick takes him down and wrenches in a great stepover toehold (STF without front facelock) to pull out the win.

Classic mat wizard vs bomb throwing standup fighter. Very entertaining, great pacing and I loved how the strategies played into the finish! ****1/4

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: RINGS, August 21, 1992, Volk Han, Dick Vrij, 4.5*, Yokohama

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users