Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-08-22-SMW-TV] Bob Armstrong and Brian Lee / Interview: Jim Cornette & Heavenly Bodies / Interview: The Fantastics

Loss

• 2 months later...

Bob Armstrong found "Wanted" signs in the SMW locker room putting a $10,000 bounty on Brian Lee's head and he is investigating. Then we get a pair of interview with Cornette and the Bodies, then the Fantastics. Corny's mama put up $10K to get a rematch for the tag titles, but the Fantastics turn them down.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Bob talks about a bounty that was placed on on Brian Lee, who can't talk but doesn't give as bad a promo as I expected. Corny's mom is also putting up $10K for the Bodies to beat Fantastics. Pritchard is great while Lane still comes across like some kind of parody. The Fantastics belong as far from a mic as Brian Lee.

• 3 weeks later...

Two $10,000 angles at once is a little overkill. This bounty angle seems like a much better way to get Lee over than the initial go-round and this leads to a pretty compelling payoff that I'm looking forward to.

Bobby's response to Cornette's offer is a verbal KO! I only wish Cornette were around to react to that line about his mother.

• 2 years later...

Bob Armstrong is out and holding a wanted posted with Brian Lee's face on it. He's found the posters on walls and in the dressing room for the past two weeks and somebody is offering a $10,000 reward to anyone who is able to injure Brian Lee so that he is unable to continue to wrestle in SMW. He is joined by Lee and Armstrong tells him he's going to do his best to find get to the bottom of this and find out who is behind it. Lee says that $10,000 is a lot of money and people will do anything for that amount of money, but he's not hard to find and if you want some of him you better bring it as it will be a long day.

Jim Cornette has asked his momma for some cash and she's putting up $10,000 that says they can take the Fantastics. Cornette asks the Bodies if he can put his faith in them and that her money is safe, and they tell him he has nothing to worry about as not only is her money safe but they'll get the belts back as well. Cornette then challenges the Fantastics; they'll put $10,000 up and on the line for a title match. The Fantastics reply and Jackie states how when they injured his knee they put the Fantastics out and they had to wait, well now it's their turn to make the Bodies wait. Bobby then says how Cornette's mum would be prepared to walk the streets to get those belts back round the Bodies waists. He turns down the $10,000 offer, but makes mention that they are pretty desperate and maybe they will offer more?

I'm liking the look of both of these angles (especially the Brian Lee one), but the same monetary figure in both? I can understand that if the figure involved is more in the one than the other it would make that one look more important, and having the same in each tries to portray them as being on an even keel, but still. It doesn't help that these segment aired back to back on the TV show too. I'm guessing that the Mongolian Mauler tried to collect the bounty in the title match at Fire on the Mountain now (although how one clothesline would injure Lee I don't know). Good stuff upcoming me thinks!

• 6 months later...

I liked the Brian Lee bounty angle more than the stuff with the Fultons, which just makes them seem greedy. Things would have been fine if Bobby hadn't thrown in that line at the end about how desperate the Bodies were and how they'd offer more money. The line about Mama Cornette walking the streets to raise the initial ten grand was a bit much too. I get that Corny's a despicable little worm and that the Bodies injured Jackie, but insulting a guy's mother and holding out for more money are things I would expect from the Bodies, not the clean-cut Fultons.

Interesting that the wanted posters for Lee were hung in both dressing rooms, as if whoever put up the money actually figures that there are faces who may want a piece of it. I would have thought that Lee would fetch a little more money than a title shot for the Bodies, but it shows how important the Bodies are supposed to be to SMW that they're put on the same level as the promotion's top babyface. (And why wouldn't they be? Their manager runs the promotion!)

• GSR changed the title to [1992-08-22-SMW-TV] Bob Armstrong and Brian Lee / Interview: Jim Cornette & Heavenly Bodies / Interview: The Fantastics
  • 2 years later...