Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-08-30-WWF-Wrestling Challenge] Randy Savage vs Ultimate Warrior feud recap

Loss

• 2 months later...

So Summerslam aired on PPV a couple of days after it happened, in case anyone was wondering why this is after Summerslam. Warrior and Savage each narrate a really well-produced recap of their feud through their own perspective. I also like that they used that Warrior's punch on Flair missed by a country mile and Flair bumped for it anyway as Savage's excuse that Perfect was in Warrior's pocket early on. Really well done piece of business.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Warrior isn't good but is better than usual, since he once again has something strong to focus on. Warrior declares that Savage had sold out from the beginning. Savage rebuts over the same bits of video that Warrior showed, with a great moment where Warrior throws a right at Flair and it's ambiguous whether it lands or not. Fantastic Rashomon-style promo work.

• 2 years later...

Each of these guys brings their own special insanity to a series of promo clips. If you'd asked me as a mark which one I believed based on what they decided to show, I'd have to give it to Savage based on the phantom punch. It's kind of interesting that they gave Savage the one true piece of evidence that could turn the tide in either direction.

Looking back twenty-four years, of course, I know that neither man sold out, but if I was living in the moment, I would have expected Flair and Curt to come out with Warrior, which would have made more sense: Use Warrior to beat Savage within an inch of his life, regardless of whether he takes the title or not. If Savage survives, you have an easy time taking the title from a weakened, exhausted champion. If Warrior beats Savage for the title, you simply turn on him, beat him to a pulp, then take the belt the first chance you get, which you know will be soon since Warrior will be looking for revenge. It almost makes me wish that Vince had booked it that way. Little did we know that Flair would get the belt back anyway just a few days later.

Interesting that they didn't actually show any of the match footage of the two of them against the Nasties, just a couple of brief argument spots. You'd think that they'd have run some miscommunication spots within the match itself to tease dissension, like they did with every other tag team in trouble. The beatdown at the end took care of business quite nicely, though.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-08-30-WWF-Wrestling Challenge] Randy Savage vs Ultimate Warrior feud recap
  • 2 years later...

Good promos going into SS.  If you are going to run things the way they did this is the way to go. 

I will say having seen the match that turning the co-main event of your second biggest show of the year into a glorified angle seems like really shitty booking.