Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-09-19-WWF-Superstars] Randy Savage and Ultimate Warrior

Loss

• 2 months later...

I love that Savage is still selling the knee. Pretty transparent attempt to recreate the Mega Powers. Maybe this is around the time we could start seeing hints that Vince was falling behind the times. That would become even more apparent in '93. Anyway, this was probably pretty cool for younger kid fans at the time.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I didn't know they were still printing Spotlight in late '92.

This is all poured on really thick. Okerlund and Vince completely gush over Savage and then Savage calls Warrior "the greatest friend I've ever had, or ever could have." Come on, REALLY? That's the kind of history-erasing that the WWF engages in that people complain about. Savage is out to target Razor Ramon while Warrior will be going after Flair's title. Warrior comes out and responds to Savage's OOH YEAH with a "Dig It!" The mutual admiration and gift exchange going on here is borderline homoerotic.

I'm really, really glad this alliance ended as soon as it began. As bad as business got, I'm ready for the Bret Hart Era.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I could have actually been okay with this alliance, even as ham-handedly as it was done, if it hadn't come so soon after SummerSlam. The Megapowers were at least semi-believable as a unit because 1) Even though Savage hadn't quire officially turned, he and Hogan were no longer actively feuding, at least on TV and 2) Hogan was shown to be reluctant at first to save Savage's hide, even from Honky and the Harts. I haven't seen the title switch yet, but I presume that Warrior saves Savage from Flair and Hall and that they're immediately best friends like they'd never, ever fought before. This after not only the whole mess over who sold out at SummerSlam, but their original epic feud in '91, which most fans had to remember even if Vince refused to acknowledge it on the air. In other words, this had all the subtlety of a thousand pound jackhammer hitting a housefly.

Nope. I agree with Curt. What are these guys trying to pull, and how long will it last before they're at each other's throats again? Could Vince at the time have been thinking about a third pay-per-view main event with these two at Mania IX? "The Ultimate Maniacs Disintegrate"? That had to be the endgame, because these two being best friends makes even less sense than Hogan and Savage being best friends did. The corny stuff with the glasses and kneepads was just more blessed subtlety from our Uncle Vinnie-Poo. It's nice to know that he trusts us to figure out his storylines all by ourselves, isn't it?

Speaking of whom, it's as if he never left England with that growling, gravelly, slobbering voice of his. I suppose I should give him credit for being able to sustain it for as long as he does, along with his other standby, the Shiller's Screech. But my ears can't take much more. The sad part is, he has a very good broadcast voice when he's doing neither of the above and also not indulging in his high school-level imitation of Howard Cosell. Of course, you'd be hard-pressed to find a time when he's not doing one of the three, so I don't know how much my compliment counts for. At least Mean Gene had the good sense to keep his mouth shut.

The combination of red and yellow and the names "Macho Maniacs" and "Ultimate Maniacs" were either a subtle tribute to Hogan or a subtle dig at him. I can't figure out which; knowing Vince, it's probably a bit of both.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-09-19-WWF-Superstars] Randy Savage and Ultimate Warrior
  • 2 years later...