Pro Wrestling Only

• 2 months later...

Solid match, but it can't touch the house show match earlier in the month. The storyline is that the Bodies agreed to give the Rock & Rolls a shot one time only, but the Stud Stable interferes to keep that from happening. Dutch said the line earlier on that he bet the Stable was watching on hoping the Rock & Rolls would win so they would get their shot, but the finish contradicted that.

• 1 month later...

Again what I said in the SMW thread.

This is the 1st t.v bout between the teams and it is a heck of a bout. The Rock N Roll shine was really good with both guys looking good. The Bodies are just experts at timing and how to feed the face. Eventually the Bodies take control and work over Morton. Then he gets the hot tag to Gibson and they cut Gibson off to work him over. Pritchard has been real impressive in this setting so far. They tease a finish, but they go in another direction which is cool, and adds a little heat to the Rock N Roll vs. Studd Stable feud. This is a really good maiden voyage of the feud that drew SMW more money than any other feud in the company. This was a solid nomination.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Dutch gets contradicted re: the Stud Stable, but it's sort of a subtle build to the three-way feud that develops. Match isn't as good as the house show bout but it's not a retread in the slightest--the tighter format and different story being told makes for a match worked in a totally different way, but still effective. SMW has the best tag division in North America, which the Big Two ought to be ashamed of.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

The Rock & Rolls illicit such a reaction from the crowd with everything they do and Prichard and Morton work so well together. I enjoyed the Rock & Rolls exchanging position on the armbar, coming in the ring without making the tag, making the clap sound and Cornette's reaction to this 'cheating', whilst Prichard can't half sell a punch. After Killer Kyle has been ejected from ringside the Stud Stable come down and when Prichard whips Robert Gibson into the ropes, they pull the top one down and he goes flying over the top of it to the floor. They roll him back into the ring and the Doctor covers him for the fall.

A very good TV match which furthers the Rock & Roll/Stud Stable feud and we get a precursor of things to come. The actual quality of the televised matches (especially the main events) have improved greatly in the past month.

• 7 months later...

This was okay, but there wasn't the sense of urgency that the stipulation would indicate. In plainer words, everyone watching knew that this wasn't going to be the only match between these two teams, hype to the contrary aside. That said, this was an effective feud starter for Rock 'n' Roll-Bodies and a way to keep Fuller and Golden in the mix. You'd think that they'd want Rock 'n' Roll to win the belts so they'd be the number one contenders, but like all good heels, they only want to hurt the people they hate and put them out of action, no matter how much lip service they may pay to having belts. I thought we might actually get a beatdown on Gibson once they had him on the outside, but I guess they were short on time.

Stan's busted eardrum is now Smoky Mountain's version of Ace Orton's broken arm. In that spirit, I wish they'd load it up, or at least tease that it's loaded; it would allow me to forget its real purpose, which of course has nothing to do with wrestling.

Bob was a bit subdued here, but since they'd evidently just run an attack on Brian Lee, that might help to explain it. It's always fun to hear Dutch rag on Bullet Bob, and I liked how pleased he was over Corny's "master plan" of having the Studs interfere. That almost makes up for passing off the ether rag finish in the Fultons-Bodies match as Bobby being a heavy drinker. Almost.

One problem this match had that I suspect will only get worse as time goes on: way too much Corny on the apron. I know he's there to distract, but four different distraction spots? One, maybe two is okay. After that, you're putting heat on the refs for being too incompetent to eject you from ringside. The Studs' interference may have worked even better that way, as Corny could have designated them as official seconds, complete with licenses, in the event that he was tossed.

I'm not as negative on this match as I must sound; it had its purpose and fulfilled it, albeit a bit sloppily in spots. I can't wait to see more of it once it really gets going!

• GSR changed the title to [1992-09-19-SMW-TV] Rock & Roll Express vs Heavenly Bodies
  • 2 years later...