Photo

Ric Flair vs Bret Hart (WWF Smack 'Em Whack 'Em 10/12/92)

WWF WWE Smack Em Whack Em Coliseum Video October 12 1992 Saskatoon Saskatchewan Ric Flair Bret Hart Title Changes

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43420 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 11:44 AM

Talk about it here.

#2 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43420 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:55 PM

Bret wins the WWF title for the first time! Even though this was buried on Coliseum Video (according to Bret because Flair refused to put him over on TV), this is still a really good moment. And they're both crazy, they work really well together. Neither is in the top 5 or 10 best opponents for the other guy, but they had consistently good matches. This wasn't as good as the Ironman match, but it was better than all but a handful of WWF matches in '92.

#3 Frankensteiner

Frankensteiner
  • Members
  • 450 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:10 PM

Flair blowing a kiss to the crowd while Perfect turns around and smugly looks on cracks me up everytime.

#4 shoe

shoe
  • Moderators
  • 9081 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:23 PM

I agree with you 100% Loss those 2 guys are crazy. I haven't seen this match in a while. I do remember liking it. Their is another handheld on the set I'm looking forward to. I have 3 more handhelds at home that I liked. One went around 35+ that was awesome. These guys did work well together.

#5 Cox

Cox
  • Members
  • 1756 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:54 PM

I suppose there is a difference between working together and liking working together. Maybe Flair and Bret disliked working with each other so much, it adversely affected the way they looked at their own matches together.

#6 Frankensteiner

Frankensteiner
  • Members
  • 450 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:00 PM

Hey shoe, you got a date or town info for that 35+ minute match?

#7 shoe

shoe
  • Moderators
  • 9081 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:51 AM

On 12/11/92 they go 32 minutes w/o intros in San Fransisco, on 1/8/93 they go 26 minutes in Philly, and 11/29/92 in Indy they go about 19 minutes. Again this is w/o intros.It looks like I exaggerated a bit on the 35+ front.

#8 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2605 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:16 PM

Didn't they go 75 minutes in Boston?

#9 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43420 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:17 PM

60 minutes. Ironman rules.

#10 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2605 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:09 PM

But they did have one go for 75, right? Or am I just making this up?

#11 Tim Evans

Tim Evans
  • Members
  • 3984 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:34 AM

I gotta disagree as I thought this wasn't very good at all. Most of that is due to the horrible commentary by Gorilla and Hayes. They blew so many calls and Gorilla basically shitting on Bret for not doing the sharpshooter earlier was awful. The finish was good though.

#12 shoe

shoe
  • Moderators
  • 9081 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:07 AM

Now Tim you not liking it because of the announcers is fine and I can understand that hurting a match. Though I'm curious on what part of their work didn't you like. I remember liking this when I saw it last time. When I get to this I'll comment in more detail. I 'm just curious what you didn't like about the actual work since Flair or Hart really can't be blamed at all for bad commentating. Also it's interesting how both guys bag on each other for their matches not being good. While evidence points to them actually being good. So as someone who didn't care about the match like you said I would like to hear a little bit more about the work that you didn't care about.

#13 Tim Evans

Tim Evans
  • Members
  • 3984 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 12:43 AM

Now Tim you not liking it because of the announcers is fine and I can understand that hurting a match. Though I'm curious on what part of their work didn't you like. I remember liking this when I saw it last time. When I get to this I'll comment in more detail. I 'm just curious what you didn't like about the actual work since Flair or Hart really can't be blamed at all for bad commentating. Also it's interesting how both guys bag on each other for their matches not being good. While evidence points to them actually being good. So as someone who didn't care about the match like you said I would like to hear a little bit more about the work that you didn't care about.

I watched this again without the commentary on and It's better but I still don't think it's great. I don't want to say Flair was mailing it in but it seemed like he didn't want to be there and he wasn't really into the match. Like during the section where he was working on the leg or even when he was in the figure four. I also thought the crowd was pretty dead till the finish but I guess that was because it was a long tv taping or something. Overall, It wasn't awful but I think other flair singles matches on this set( Vs Savage at WM, Vs Bulldog in England and the Tenyru matches) were better. However this was better than the Savage title change match in September.

#14 shoe

shoe
  • Moderators
  • 9081 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:42 PM

I really enjoyed this. This is a good meat and potatoes match. I think the Flair/Hart series is much better than the Hart/Michael's matches. The early portion Hart work's over Flair's shoulder/arm with some basic work. What makes it stand out is Flair selling like crazy. We get some back and forth, Flair goes after Hart's leg with some of his typical leg work which he does well. Here we see the difference in Hart sells in a more subtle way. Hart does some stuff to Flair's leg. Haet makes a comeback and Flair does some big bumps onto his back that leads to the finish of the sharpshooter. Nothing flashy, but just real good solid basic wrestling.

#15 Kevin Ridge

Kevin Ridge
  • Members
  • 4762 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:13 PM

Probably the best of Flair's matches from his WWF run. I'll have to look more closely at their Ironman match again. Great moment to see Bret win the title. Amazing to think this match was left for home video at the time. The commentary is pretty bad after repeated viewings of this I am able to somewhat tune them out. Part of me wonders why Perfect didn't interfere at the end since he was so close but him getting up on the apron and being pushed aside by the ref made for a good tease as Hart was able to get the submission.

#16 PeteF3

PeteF3
  • Members
  • 9050 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:15 PM

More of a historic match than great, but there's nothing wrong with it either--no obvious spots where these two weren't on the same page. Just sort of WWF Flair by the numbers, though Bret's victory is refreshingly decisive and a pretty good chill scene thanks to the crowd reaction. I can't even describe the feeling of disbelief I had opening up PWI Weekly and seeing that Bret had won the Heavyweight title--this was SUCH an out-of-the-box move by WWF standards that I don't think younger fans can fully grasp it.

#17 Bix

Bix
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 6239 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:22 PM

When I saw the result in the newspaper, I thought it was a DQ or count out win being misreported as a title change. Then Bret showed up on TV with the belt the following Saturday and I lost my mind.

#18 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5098 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:17 PM

I thought this was great. We can only imagine what's going through Bret's head as he walks to the ring, but it has to be a hell of a feeling. Not much to add that hasn't been covered here, but as much as they may not have enjoyed working with each other I sure as hell liked the product. Flair didn't mail this one in at all, selling the hell out of his arm during Hart's early shine and continuing to do so after an early transition puts him on offense. If anything, it felt like he went out of his way to put Hart over strong throughout before going down for his finisher. The hope spots & comebacks were timed well to build heat towards the culmination and a massive pop. Best match of the year so far for both of them. ****1/4

#19 DR Ackermann

DR Ackermann
  • Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:53 PM

I was really put off by the way Flair sells the leg work. He does it in the most superficial way possible, walking like he is in pain, but not changing his offense one bit in a way that reflects what happened. Then after a few minutes he's completely fine.

Anyway, there were some good moments. Decent match. I thought the end of the match where Bret drops the straps was great. It looks like Bret says, "Fucking A!" into the camera when he's putting the belt on.

#20 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2605 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:18 PM

I remember clearly when they announced that Bret won the title, on All-American I believe. Was kind of out of nowhere as I thought he'd just go around with Davey Boy and get the IC title back. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: WWF, WWE, Smack Em Whack Em, Coliseum Video, October 12, 1992, Saskatoon Saskatchewan, Ric Flair, Bret Hart, Title Changes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users