Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-11-21-USWA-TV] Interview: Doug Gilbert & Jerry Lawler / The Moondogs vignette

Loss

• 2 months later...

Lawler explains the dumbest, strangest gimmick match I've ever heard of. Just watch, but give Lawler credit for almost making it seem like a good idea. Then, we get Richard Lee on a boat with the Moondogs preparing them to get comfortable around water before the Mid South Coliseum match. Richard Lee is great in this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

What's the one thing that dogs are scared of? BATHS. Uh...I thought that was cats. Yeah, it's a Waterboard Death Match at the Mid-South Coliseum. 1992 was a more innocent time.

Richard Lee rebuts from the S.S. MOONDOG. Of all the vignettes involving managers and yachts on these Yearbooks, this is probably the second-best.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Can they possibly come up with a gimmick match any stranger than this? I loved Doug and Lawler dunking the jobber, and the idea of the Dogs listening to opera music and living on a yacht is truly inspired, but how many times and in how many ways does Lawler (since this is still his feud, regardless of who his partners are) have to beat these guys before they go away? Shouldn't he be defending the Unified title? I don't have the faintest idea who he could wrestle, as long as it isn't a Moondog.

I'm seriously wondering if most of the other guys in the promotion might have refused to work with the Dogs and/or Lee, for whatever reason. Dundee didn't get this many matches in a row with Lawler, and their feud practically defines modern Memphis wrestling. Same for Eddie, Dutch, Austin Idol, and a lot of other more memorable Lawler feud partners. Even Andy Kaufman took breaks occasionally.

One good thing: Lee was actually understandable here, and when he is, he's very very good. He needs at least one other protégé in order to broaden his horizons a bit, though.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-11-21-USWA-TV] Interview: Doug Gilbert & Jerry Lawler / The Moondogs vignette