Photo

Manami Toyota & Toshiyo Yamada vs Mayumi Ozaki & Dynamite Kansai (AJW Dream Rush 11/26/92)

AJW November 26 1992 Kawasaki Manami Toyota Toshiyo Yamada Mayumi Ozaki Dynamite Kansai 5*

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 jdw

jdw
  • Members
  • 8040 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 12:26 AM

I can appreciate a back-and-forth match, but what drama is there in every move by one team being immediately countered by the other for forty-five minutes?

I think you watched a different match. This isn't 45 straight minutes of spot-fu and counters. The first 10:30 alone had a pair of three minute FIP sequences on Toyota, along with a two minute HIP sequence on Kansai. That's 8 of the first 10:30. It's not like it's the last time their have non-back-and-forth segments where one of the wrestlers is getting worked over rather than just a bunch of My Turn, Your Turn shit.

#22 JKWebb

JKWebb
  • Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:11 AM

#3 - placetobenation.com/countdown-top-500-matches-of-the-90s-50-1/2/

This was too go-go for me.  I don't understand why someone would attempt so many dropkicks and missile dropkicks when they don't matter.  I didn't see any fatigue, and the match still felt like a sprint by the very end.  The moves on the outside had no affect.  When they were suplexed on the outside, they were back to the ring within seconds.  I didn't see any selling.  I saw moments of drama where facial expressions were great, but moments later a DDT would not be sold, or suplexes would not be sold.  It just seemed like they took so much punishment to be going that fast by the end.  Moonsaults had no affect.  I just felt like it was a bunch of stiff moves crammed into roughly 45 minutes as quickly as possible.  I know a lot folks love this match, and I think I can see why.  So, I'm not meaning this as a shot.  I knew that I would post that this wouldn't be this high on a list like this for me, so I just wanted to explain myself.  If you love this match, then great.  It's just not for me.  After I wrote this, I started to look at the other reviews.  So, I guess you can count me on the same page as garretta.  He may have summed up better what I was trying to say.  I agree with you 100% garretta.

#23 garretta

garretta
  • Members
  • 3565 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:24 PM

Thanks, JK. I've enjoyed your reviews a lot, too!

#24 SmartMark15

SmartMark15
  • Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 03:07 AM

I'm not the biggest joshi fan so I approached this with a little hesitation. However, I did enjoy the moments when the match would slow down. Toyota makes for a pretty decent face in peril and Yamada does as well. Long term selling is not a thing in this match and when I decided to accept that and just give in to the positives (of which there are many), then things just absolutely clicked for me. So many things about this match to love. Kansai as a brutal ass kicker is amazing. Yamada taking Kansai to Suplex City to even things up in the second fall was great. I loved how the suplexes started looking worse and worse as Kansai progressively turned into deadweight. The third fall had a whole string of totally believable false finishes that really surprised me. Toyota and Ozaki made for great ragdolls and bump like ridiculous.

And of course, my favorite part of the match: Ozaki's heel tactics. I marked out for EVERY SINGLE moment that she did her best to fuck with one of the faces' rope breaks. Just...AH YES. So much love for those spots. It made me remember Sasha Banks kicking at Bayley's bad hand during Takeover: Brooklyn. But Ozaki just takes it to a whole other level. That simple tactic pretty much took this match up to another level for me, I'm not even kidding.

****3/4

#25 Jetlag

Jetlag
  • Members
  • 1041 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 12:55 PM

This' a good match. Watching this again after so many years and having watched quite a bit of joshi from this time period, I understand what's going here isn't exactly mindblowing. The three things special things going on here are as follows:

- the length

- the interpromotional flair

- Yamada and Kansai upping the stiffness x10000 and kicking the life out of everything that got in their way

And even the last thing isn't that unusual, as Kansai always worked like that. Other than that, they constantly go by the same go hard->rest pattern and occasionally throw in a sequence to mix it up. Lots of shit that is sloppy or blown and not a ton of selling, but they keep it going which is what counts. People have praised Ozaki's heel work, and it is good, but knowing her a little better now, she probably wasn't thinking too much about it herself. It was pretty much just another night for her.

#26 Kadaveri

Kadaveri
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 04:26 PM

The first 10:30 alone had a pair of three minute FIP sequences on Toyota, along with a two minute HIP sequence on Kansai.

What do 'FIP' and 'HIP' mean someone?

EDIT: Nevermind I just got it. Face in Peril + Heel in Peril.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: AJW, November 26, 1992, Kawasaki, Manami Toyota, Toshiyo Yamada, Mayumi Ozaki, Dynamite Kansai, 5*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users